blitz with it, going anywhere I can to take pictures. This is

something Ive always wanted to do and now finally I've been giving

myself time to do it. Heres the deal, I've been considering an 70-

200mm/F4 but aside from that Ive been hearing a litle oice in my

head, nagging me to upgrade my camera. So the next in line is of

course the ELAN 7N. I know I want the lens, but the camera? that Im

still not completely sold on that one. Is it a big jump from R2k to

ELan 7N? I dont make much money so the lens itself will deplete me,

Id have to put my pennies together and get that camera.

This is a side question, but any comments on the viewfinder?

Thats not too important just thought Id throw that in. Thanks for

listening guys!

We're talking a $600 lens vs. a $100 upgrade (if you ebay your Rebel 2000 with a little

luck or Rebel 2000 -> Elan 7 with moderate luck... is the 7n really necessary? you know

better). If you can make an effort for $600 perhaps $700 for both isn't that much farther.

Overall I'd say lens first and body later... especially with your renewed interest in

photography. Btw... what do you shoot? (which films) How big do you enlarge? What

lenses do you already own? Is there something that bothers you in the R2000?...something

you wish for and that the Elan has?

Right now I just got a 50mm/f1.8 and a 550ex flash. A little low on the equipment, but you gotta start somewhere I suppose. There isnt anything particularly that really irritates me about mine more like a series of things, first the plasticy light feel of it. It is small and it is really light, doesnt really bother me, but its definitely not a plus. Changing aperture and shutter speed gets to be a real pain, having to press a tiny button to change aperture, from what I gather the Elans and up have two dials to make it easier. The viewfinder slightly annoys me, Id like it to be bigger and Id like not to fog up up the back of my camera because nose is pressed up against it because Im squinting to see better. The thing making me a little uneasy about staying with my Rebel is getting that lens, the question making circles in my head is, since I invested in this, should I invest in a better camera and how much better is that better camera.

I shoot street photography and would actually love to do photojournalism. Right now Im shooting everything I can though, If I like a building, ill shoot a building, if I see a pretty cool bird, Ill shot the bird (not literally!). I use Fuji 400NPH (I dont know if that changes anything though). I well aware that its lens before camera, the thing is....what camera? I dont know if I can bring myself to sell it, it was a gift from my parents when I was in my last year in high school. Either I would use it as back up or I would let them use it (with the lens that came with it) since they dont care about the specs they just think it takes nice pics. SO I would have to dish out the full price for the camera, not just 100 bucks. Well thanks so far, I hope all that info helps balance the debate. Thanks for listening.

-Martin

Martin,

There is a pretty significant difference between the Elan 7N and the Rebel 2000. First, the two dials for changing settings that you were asking about: one as on the R2K, controls shutterspeed or aperature (depending on mode). The other controls either the exposure compensation, which means no more hitting that tiny button to fiddle with the exposure comp., or in the manual mode, it controls the aperature. This greatly speeds up setting up your shot, so if you want to get into photojournalism or street photography, it's a definate plus.

As well, the 7N has a whole host of custom functions, like mirror-lock up, to kill vibration when you're doing tripod shots, and the little things like the ability to count up or down, and to leave the film leader hanging out (I think the leader option is there, I haven't memorised all the custom functions in the manual.)

From what I've heard, the 50mm lens that you mentioned is an excellent lens, and I wouldn't give it to your parents with the 2k. If you did that, all you'd be left with is the 70-200, and that definately won't cover all situations. What if you want to take some landscape shots and the 70-200 isn't wide enough? What about low-light shots? Concert shots would be tough with a maximum aperature of f4. Keep the lens and use the 2K as a backup, or for B&W when you have colour in the Elan.

The autofocus in the Elan feels a bit snappier, but I don't know exactly how much faster it is. The viewfinder also blinks the zone that the camera is focusing on, which I know that the 2K doesn't.

As well, the Elan 7 has a heavier body, which helps to steady your shot, and it feels much more solidly constructed than the 2K.

I suggest that you get the lens first, and then save up for the Elan 7N. It's an excellent camera, but getting the second lens first will allow you more flexibility.

My $0.02.

Jordan R. Urie

You've got one super lens and a great flash. Coupled with your Rebel 2000, it's a great starter kit. I do understand your wanting something more solid, but does it need to be a new Elan7n? What about buying the longer lens then saving your money for a used camera such as the wonderful ElanII or Elan7 non-N model. Both have the rear thumb wheel which does indeed make things a lot easier. Keep your Rebel as a back-up, or better yet, put the 50mm on the Rebel and the 70-200 on the ElanII/7 camera and take them both out shooting.

This page doesn't list the Elan7n model, but it does give you some basic information about the ElanII and Elan7 models: <a href="http://photonotes.org/reviews/5-50-30">http://photonotes.org/reviews/5-50-30</a>

Another possibility is to get an Elan II off of eBay - they can be had for $100 - and is still a mighty fine camera.

Yes I know - they often go for more than $100 on eBay - but if you are patient and don't mind losing 7 or 8 times first - you CAN get one for that price - and since they hit eBay often, it doesn't take long. Just make sure seller has good feedback with photo equipment in recent history.

My advice - get the lens now, before changing bodies.

I say this because you already have a body capable of accepting 35mm film and the lens - a nicer body is an upgrade, but you can take good pictures with the existing body.

Then when you have $120 or so to spare - start the Elan II hunt.

Make sure the one you buy comes with the manual - I have found the manual to be extremely important. Yes - the manual is available online from various places, and AFAIK it is legal for you to download a copywritten manual if you own the hardware it is too (I think it's one of those weird scenarios where it may be illegal for the server to serve it, but you break no law by downloading it) but still - the REAL manual is better than a downloaded version - and plenty of Elan II's on eBay (or elsewhere) include the manual. Some even include the Magic Lantern guide which is supposedly very well done (I don't have it)

Anyway, get the lens first. Then look for an Elan II (or Elan 7) on eBay - or save up for a new Elan 7n.

Also - if you don't have one, you should consider saving for a tripod.

Be very careful about tripod - since you are on a tight budget, it can be tempting to buy a cheap one. Don't - the cheap ones are junk and a waste of money.

You don't need to go carbon fiber - but don't get junk. The Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 legs are good legs for your existing lens and the lens you want, without costing too dreadfully much. And you'll need a head too, talk to the equipment forum about what head you should get for your lenses (I can't advise on that) on a budget.

How soon you need a tripod? Well, you will have better results with a tripod than hand-held - I guarantee it, but don't get a cheapie. And watch out for Camera Sales People - I went to a very good camera store, told the guy I was on a budget but wanted a decent tripod - and he pointed me at junk tripods that really wouldn't last (and may not even properly stabalize the camera). It's better to do without tripod until you can afford a decent one than to buy a junk one. The 3001 I bought (used) was cheapest that I could find that really got an OK from those that know.

Option 1: If you want more weight on the 2K get the battery pack (BP200). You might need it for better balance with the 70-200mm.

Option 2: Get a used Elan 7 for <$200 on ebay, but I'm still guessing most people would still recomend the battery back for better hand held balance.

I like the recommendation for the tripod or a monopod, and bags, and filters (Cir Pol, UV, etc) - all these accessories will all add up.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the EXACT same situation as you about a year and a half ago. I had a Rebel 2000 and Canon 50 f/1.8. I also had a 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM. I wanted to upgrade my camera. I decided to get the Elan 7 for a special holiday price, something like $300. I also thought about selling my Rebel and 50mm to help pay for the Elan, I am glad I didn't.

Instead I kept the 50mm and the Rebel 2k and use the Rebel as backup. Like if I have B&W in my Elan, I might have color in my Rebel, etc.

So what I am saying is, the 7n is inexpensive ($300 or less at places like B&H and Adorama online). If you were thinking about buying it at a local camera shop shame on you, don't pay their high prices. KEEP your Rebel and your lenses, come up with the money somehow (I did and I don't have a job) and but an Elan 7n. My Elan 7 is wonderful and I wouldn't give it up for anything, I still use it ALOT since it is my main and favorite camera. I got an EOS 3 and 20mm f/2.8 since but that is a different story.

Good luck, - J.D.