Need current opinions of Minolta 5400 scanner

I am interested in this scanner, but have read of several bugs,

including green lines, possibly related to poor shielding from

electromagnetic energy. Have these bugs been fixed? What is the

general concensus of users re this scanner? How does the 5400

compare to similar products from Nikon?

I have had one for three months and have scanned slides, colour negatives, B&W negs and even an old Kodachrome. Both with its own software and Vuescan, I have generally been very pleased and no real problems to report. However, if you get one do ensure that you set the preferences to autofocus always when scanning otherwise you will get blurred scans (for some reason it comes out of the box with that option unchecked).

it imports 16bit raw straight into photoshop. its basically the best the scanner can do, without any manips by the software, be it vuescan or minoltas. it shows up as a positive, if youre doing neg scans, so you need to invert it. i posted some examples on another thread somewhere....you may wanna do a search..

Robert: I took a lok at the scanner and its film carriers inspired little conficence. They look cheap! That and the problems several people have reported puts it for me in the blacklist. Do not put any credence in the resolution numbers, I do not think those make any difference you will see. I bought the Canon 4000US and find it excellent. No problems from me or any other users that I know and its film carriers are decent. I use Vuescan but have Silverfast 6Ai which is by far my preferred choice. I understand that Lasersoft now has the software for it.

So Julio who has never used the minolta 5400 is an expert on the minolta 5400? Sure, I've looked at a train so that makes me an expert on trains. The 5400 is a wonderfull film scanner-it does produce 5400dpi scans, and it is noticable. Others have refered to the 16bit linear thing and its a great way to get even more out of the neg. I haven't got vuescan yet (I know, I know, I need to get it), but the native driver works just fine, especially if you're going to tech it in PS. Although Vuescan or Silverscan are seriously good drivers. There is also nothing wrong with the carriers. Several people have stated differently but they simply don't know what the hell thier talking about. These same people always say they heard or they saw, never they have used-in other words worthless opinions. I have use the 5400 for three months now and have in my lifetime used kodak, cannon, nikon and now a minolta film scanner. Its beats them all-no question. It ain't perfect but nothing is, it can be slow unless you have it calibrated perfectly, that is the scanner and you're computer. I have use a PowerMac G5 and it would hang up while it was connected via a USB 2.0 port. Now that I switch to a firewire port it scans like a champ. Under 5 minutes for a 50+mgb file with all multiscanning and ICE engaged. Some claim they've gotten faster times, but I'm using an average, plus I think they are being a little optimistic. 10 years of scanning experience and I think 5 minutes is an excellent time. And finally it produces great color-something thats hard to be objective with but something I sure you'll see too. I've left a link for a review and help artical from Shutterbug magazine below. They might help you in your desision.

http://www.shutterbug.com/digital_help/0704sb_digitalhelp/

http://www.shutterbug.net/test_reports/1203sb_thenew/

It's a very good scanner. Doesn't crop your 35mm frames like the Nikons do. Make sure you get the latest drivers. Since updating to version 1.4 I don't use linear mode as much. 16-bit tiff opened in Photoshop using the Minolta profile work very well. No green lines for me. Autofocus works very well and you can set the focus point for curved film. I use firewwire. Great scanner for the price.

Never mind subjective "opinions", I'll settle for some simple(?) objective information about the Minolta 5400, Canon 4000US and Nikon 5000. The specs or reviews don't seem to mention them.

- If the film is in a full frame slide mount, can the scanner scan 100% of the 24mmx36mm area?

- Does the scanner have any hardware support to ensure accurate registration for multi-pass scans?

Thanks.

JA: My point did not relate to the quality of the scans obtainable with the 5400, indded I did not use or purchase one as was clear from my posting. I do not doubt your comments are right about the quality of the scans, which are eccoed by other users. Just the same the complaints about the quality of this scanner, in terms of reliability and faulty units can not be disregarded either, even if you do not agree with me on the perceived skimpy quality of the holders.

Very good scanner, indeed. However, after 6 months modest use, my slide holder broke. The good news - $30 got me two new ones from B+H Photo. Usually, with a great slide, I can print to the limits of my Epson 1270's ability. Definitely capable of excellent 10X15" with a little practice. Main thing is getting a good focus, which takes a little practice. Highly recommended, if the price isn't too dear...

Hi. I bought a Minolta 5400 some weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Very happy. Only one complain: slow speed. It also demands a powerful hardware to move it (I'm already thinking in upgrading my computer), but that is the same for other scanners of this category. Speed is OK if you only scan your best pictures (which is my case), otherwise get ready to spend the whole weekend in front of the monitor!

When pondering to buy it I also considered a Nikon V as alternative, but eventually I went for the Minolta (I found it in promotion at the same price as the Nikon model). I read in the French magazine "Réponses Photo" reviews of both scanners: it seems the Nikon is slightly faster and it includes a new version of ICE. The Nikon scans up to 4000 dpi whereas the Minolta goes up to 5400 (although it is said that the difference is at the edge of the information in a 35mm negative). The Minolta has a FireWire port that the Nikon misses, and its contruction is better.

I read some scary messages in photo.net about green lines and other problems, but I didn't experience any (yet). Particularly I read the the green lines only appear if the scanner does not correctly warm up before use. I switch it on some 20 minutes before use. I have no complains about the slide holders either.

Both the Minolta 5400 and Nikon V are excellent scanners and the best in their category. You will hardly need any better, unless you need to scan medium format. Consider the price differce between them: Nikon is a bit cheaper.