Russian Rangefinder Leica II(D) copy - how good is this?

mallik

I somehow became curious about the old screw mount cameras, to make them

unobtrusive than the relatively larger and rich looking M6TTL (chrome), appear less

'rich' (avoid theft) than the M6TTL and Nikons etc. that I have. I find trying a Leica SM

IIIg or F to be expensive when I do feel that my M6TTL will be my THE camera to use

for anything serious. So just to try out, I searched and came across this camera "Leica

II (D) Olympia 1936 Elmar f3.5/50mm Olympia 1936 edition, black model with built-

in rangefinder" that has been re-conditioned and supposedly working fine. The price

expected is USD 100. Can someone tell me how good is this camera? Will this remain

just a 'fun' camera or can it take some good pictures?<div>0076PW-16181084.jpg.ead58d298f292e5a7299ac86da36ef7f.jpg</div>

The feds and zorkis do work fine, are a little crude compared to a leica, but are absolutely fine to work with. You can mount the voigtländer lenses if you don't like the russian or ancient leica glass, and have a very fine camera, without a mortgage or even a worry about theft, losing it, or scratching the bottom plate. Go for it, really no risk at all.

but I second the other posts, carrying nazi symbols, no way.

if you're into russian low-cost rf cameras, there are a lot more models. Butt ugly, dirt cheap, abut with long rf base and more gadgets that could be of use. Even a camera with motor drive, the "leningrad".

The reworked FED's are a risk unless you know who fooled with them. I would go with the FED 2 that is in decent shape and you won't have near the trouble of a "Fake." They work great! Check my folder for shots taken with all kinds of FSU cameras and lenses.

I've been looking into the Soviet RF's recently. For compact size, good build quality and a full range of shutter speeds, the recommended models seem to be the Fed 3A and the Zorki 3M. For compact size, long base RF baseline, best build quality, but speeds only from 1/30 - 1/500 the later Fed 2's are recommended.

For a handy user with relatively modern ergos (swing back, wind lever) the Zorki-6 seems to be the good choice. The best viewfinders appear to be on the Zorkis. The most expensive of these, the Zorki 3M, in top condition on the E-word should be less than $100. The next most expensive, the Fed 3A can be had for under $30. The others should cost less than the shipping charge.

Those Nazi's pseudo-Leicas and similar models are going to have clumsier ergonomics, and be overpriced due to novelty value.

Oleg Khalyavin seems to be the most reputable repairman and seller of soviet cameras. His site is down but you can reach him at ok@capital.mari-el.ru. I've always found him to be very honest and straightforward on questions, and I'll be sending him an Iskra folder for CLA and Jupiter-3 for adjustment.

The Russain RF's are a crap shoot, IMO. Many are marginally functional at best, especially the ones that have the fancy finishes. OTOH, if you can find a nice one that works, they can take nice pictures.

Most of the $100 in the price of the black camera you picture is in the finish, which might be an "interesting" conversation piece. Whether "interesting" is positive or negative will depend on the audience.

I'd take the advice of the last poster and buy something from someone that has a reputation. You'll be much happier.

Look on www.commiecameras.com for full run-down of all the RF's that were made.

When I was looking for one, I settled on a Fed 2f, which was actually pretty nice, except that the finder had c*ap in it. I think I paid $35 or $40. It was a very servicable camera, but I tired of it after a few months when compared to the clockwork-like Leicas.

There is a nice Russian camera group over on Yahoogroups which should yield a lot of opinions.

Skip

<i>"There is a nice Russian camera group over on Yahoogroups which should yield a lot of opinions."</i>

<p>

The yahoogroup moved to <a href="http://www.beststuff.com/forum/list.php?f=21&collapse=1">BestStuff</a> some time ago. I highly recommend this site if you are really interested.

<p>

<i>". . .I tired of it after a few months when compared to the clockwork-like Leicas."</i>

<p>

FSU cameras are to Timexes as Leicas are to Rolexes. Both keep time, one more precisely and with more style. FSU cameras are great for the money one spends on them. They are fantastic entery level cameras. I would never have gotten into Leica cameras if I had not used the FSU cameras first and learned to appreciate rangefinders.

Paul, thieves will gladly take any camera they can get. They can always throw them away later, should they find out there is no value.

Actually the point is, that if someone steals my fed, I will be unhappy, of course - but it's no drama. Should I lose my M6, that would be very bad, since these days I am unable to replace it, and the value would be a onsiderable hit. Now that's why I'm not as worried about someone stealing my fed than the M6. This does not mean that I consider it more likely someone stealing a leica.. it would just be worse to me.

Some of these "re-finished" cameras were tested recently in Amateur Photographer ... they didn't fare very well ... the effort seems to have gone purely into the cosmetic aspect of the camera with little or no consideration for anyone who actually wanted to use one to take photographs !!

I have two Zorkis, a 6 for it's long-base r/f (but limited shutter speeds) and a 4k for it's full range of speeds.

Both are relatively easy to load (hinged or removeable back), both have a lever wind ... the jury is still out on which I prefer, they are both heavy, but I'd recommend either as an intro to interchangeable lens r/f cameras.

• 1 month later...

Fed´s model I and Zorki´s models I and II are "close" Leica copies and, believe, they are not bad as some people said. Leica´s finishing, rangefinder and materials are better, but Ruskies provides a very good return for the money. Lenses are good if they weren´t opened or serviced by curious. That´s the most efficient way to ruin a lens. My prefered cameras are the FED-2, incredibly smooth, nice viewfinder, but doesn´t have the slow speeds. FED-3 is a nice camera too, but it´s bulky (and have slow speeds). Zorki-3M is the most interesting for me.

Regarding your original question, yes they pack a lot of fun for the money, but be aware that some german and japanese optics have a different lens to film plane registering distance, but if you aren´t using a very wide aperture like 2.0 or even 1.5m this will not cause you much trouble. In my experience, it´s best to use russian lenses in russian bodies due this problem. When looking for a lens, always try to verify if it was serviced or lubed by amateurs or just look if they still have the factory adjust seals (red resin dots over the nuts and bolts). Have fun !

• 2 months later...

These refinished cameras often don't work since they were not recalibrated/adjusted to function properly after they were refinished. Refinishing requires total disassembly: the camera and lens is STRIPPED down to its barest little screw. A camera doesn't necessarily work OK after its been put together- plenty of adjustments have to be made for it to work right. The same goes for the lens.

And often, these cameras may have parts from other cameras. Refinished cameras may be composite cameras whose parts came from one or more cameras. And these would usually be the cosmetically poor cameras or even non-working ones (how else would it be better to sell a non-working ugly camera? Refinish it!) With old cameras, the parts where fit individually, and adjusted accordingly. This is something not always possible with these refinished cameras.