Rocky Mtn Natl Park landscpae shooting--- dogs allowed?

jorelcuomo

Just in general, they don't allow dogs on the trails in the park. This is true of most or all of the National Parks.

On the other hand, dogs ARE allowed on the National Forest trails, and there are quite a few good trails around Rocky Mountain National Park. The Crosier Mountain Trail comes to mind, with good overlooks of Estes Park and RMNP. Check at the National Forest Service office in Fort Collins, they can furnish info on the all the trails. This includes trails out on Hwy 34, also up in the Poudre Valley.

There are good landscape opportunities on the highways leading into Estes Park from Loveland and from Boulder, as well. The drive up the Poudre Valley to Cameron Pass is well worthwhile.

If you are looking for high mountain scenery, check into Mt Evans, also, not too far out of Denver.

The area to the south of RMNP is a wilderness area, not sure what the dog regulations are there.

National park dog policy is very restrictive if you travel with a canine

companion of any size. No dogs allowed outside of paved areas and

campgrounds and then only while leashed. As mentioned, National Forests

are much more dog friendly, although generally leashes are required as per

whatever state/county law may apply. Areas designated as Wilderness are

off-limits to dogs with no exceptions because of concern for native wildlife. I

think this concern is well-meaning, but founded on the assumption that every

dog is going to run amok killing everything in site. Of course in some places, it

is the dogs that might be on the dinner menu. Coyotes and mountain lions like

the taste of dog.

I always take my dog with me on photographic trips, but sometimes he has to

stay in my vehicle for a while. I do admit letting him off leash under voice

control in many areas but I am almost always breaking some Federal, State,

or County law.

It is my opinion that these anti-dog restrictions have gone too far in many

places, and leave no room for properly trained animals who are little threat to

the environment, or anyone else. I personally think HORSES create an

environmental problem on the ground wherever they are allowed, and they

are allowed many places dogs are not.

Good luck.

Just as an aside, Mount Evans - mentioned above - is really nice, but is not open until Memorial Day (just like Trail Ridge Road in RMNP).

BTW, the reasoning behind the dog regulations is not damage - it has to do with the fact that they're a predator, and they tend to scare the wildlife (not that people don't, but people don't tend to bark and chase like dogs do...) Horses aren't predators, and hence don't scare the wildlife, so they're allowed on some trails.

Depends on your perspective....

After seeing bull elk threaten viewers several times after being upset by dogs brought in by morons during the elk rut, I think NPS policy is far too lenient on the issue.

This is not a criticism of the dogs, they bark and sound the alarm like pack animals do when seeing large, strange interlopers.

"Moose/Coyote/Elk/ Blue Grouse/ Robins. Ah the life of Wildlife photograph is so nice."

Ah - the West side of the park. An excellent choice. Sounds like you made off like a bandit, too. Don't usually get to see the Blue Grouse. And the Moose has been less than co-operative through the winter; hope it's moving back to its normal haunts so I can find it when I head back over there. :-)

Glad you had a good time.