Has anyone sold their 10D and went back to film??

ernie_tangalakis

I am toying with the idea of selling my 10D and going back to film.

I still shoot film but I also shoot with a 10D. The 10D is a good

camera but "for me" film still has a solid place in my photography.

If you are staying with digital you don't have to tell me all the

reasons not to change. I've heard them all. I want to hear from

those that have gone back and the reasons why. This might just be

the shortest thread on this site.

Hmm, last Spring when I first got my 10D, I thought I might sell most of my film bodies. After getting a handle on the strengths and weaknesses of the 10D, I ended up shooting about 50/50 film and digital. Film does some things I can't do with the 10D, e.g., handle contrasty scenes. Also, I love the distinctive look certain emulsions have (not just B&W). I really prefer the look of Portra 160 over the 10D for portraits and find nothing beats the beauty of chromes viewed with a loupe on a light table. So, the 10D is sort like another emulsion to me. However, I won't be selling it anytime soon as I still really like using it and, yes, it can do things film can't do.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Ernie wander over to the Leica forum and ask the question, alot of users there have either gone back to film or split the use. One of the big issues is ease of use, I finally have my 10D dialed in so I just shoot and get pretty good results with a little WB correction and I'm done. Most users however end up really becoming PS experts which isn't fun.

You also need to look at the difference in "look" from film to CMOS, this is especially true with B&W.

Gerry

I gave up on the tiny, dim peephole viewfinder, painfully slow operation, and poor image quality of the 10D, and went back to an EOS 1V. I'm happier, my stock agency is happier, and sales have increased. Now, if only I didn't have to do all that scanning...

No, and I won't. I love the instant feedback, the great image quality, and the streamlined digital workflow. Don't get me wrong - I really liked my film bodies and wide angle lenses, and I absolutely love the look of good chromes. But I really, really hate scanning. For that alone, I won't go back, though I still shoot film sometimes on an old Minolta SRT-101 for the pure enjoyment of it - and to capture a few more chromes (which unfortunately, I have to @#$% scan.)

Ernie.

This seems like a hollow question. The ONLY answer to ths question is yes of course people have. Just as there are probably some folks in the world that have given up on cars and gone back to horses. Why they did it should mean nothing at all to you. What should mean something to you is why you are even considering it, and if you have a good reason to give up on digital then do it, and you should not give a damn what other people did and why. If you really need others to give you a reason then as Jabba the Hut put it.. "you weak minded fool".

Now to the person who mentioned lots of Leica users have gone back to film, of course they have. For a leica user going to digital really is the same as a leica user going to an SLR (since the only really good Digital 35mm replacements today are SLR). For them it's more like going back to the rangefinder from the SLR, and has little to do with film.

The only valid reason I see going from digital to film is if you like the traditional darkroom process, and that is for arts sake and nothing more.

As an ametuer photographer, I am keeping my flim bodies, but I don't use them much. If I could get a reasonable price for 1 of them, I'd sell it, but I value it more than the $200 or less I could get.

Even so, I am going to continue using the 10D until I can afford a 1Ds or better.

I have both a 10D and Elan7. I use both.

"Cheap body that I'm not as afraid to lose or damage"

"Wide angle lenses"

"Weight"

"Latitude"

and... "Paying attention to what I do".

I didn't "go back". I just "use the right tool for the job". Having a wider choice of tools is just better.

I just sold my 2 1V's for a 1D, also have a D60 plus a Rebel as my only film EOS. I use EOS only for wildlife, where I formerly burned a lot of film, and for wife's relatives' parties/events where I used to have to foot the bill for film/processing so as not to act cheap asking for reimbursement. Otherwise I shoot film for everything else and will continue to do so as long as I can. However I would not consider doing something as emotionally-satisfying but economically stupid as selling my DSLR's for film cameras. That'd be selling a quickly-depreciating item in an expanding technology for another quickly-depreciating item in a dying technology.

Well, since I didn't sell my film gear when I bought my 10D "going back" doesn't mean anything to me. I've never looked at it as an either/or proposition. Since the beginning I've used color *and* b&w film, slide film *and* negative film, medium format *and* 35mm. Not to mention Polaroid cameras and, since 1998, various digicams. The 10D is another addition to my little collection of tools, not a replacement for anything.

-Dave-

I'd have to echo Jean-Baptiste's comments,...., It's not a question of going "back" to film. That's like saying we work in a "paperless office". It's a different medium entirely. Keep a film body as well as the 10D. Exploit the positives of both. It's apples and oranges really. But you've already "spun" the answers you want anyway, by asking not hear "all the reasons not to change". Digital, does not look like film and vise versa. Digital is getting bettter at "simulating" film,..., but at the end of the day it's still just simulation. I love my T90 with FD's. I love my 300D.

"...quickly-depreciating item in a dying technology."

Only if one agrees with your not-yet-proved hypothesis that film is 'disappearing.' Which, in my equally unproved hypothesis, it is not. Digital camera should be sold with freshness dates stamped on them, just like groceries. Today's 10d is tomorrow's d60. When "cheaper is better" is your mantra, there's no stopping until you arrive at zero.

"...quickly-depreciating item in a dying technology."

Of course I myself do not know if Film is declining but I saw this recent news story on Yahoo. This could be the start of it all =)

I personally left my A2E Film body and bought a 10D. I am a amateur photographer and being able to see my mistakes and correcting them on the spot is nice. I do miss the Dark Room.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=1&u=/nm/20040113/tc_nm/tech_eastmankodak_dc

Thanks

Robert =)