So Sigma currently makes the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens and 28-70mm f/2.8

lens in the EOS mount, both in their EX range of lenses. Some say the

24-70 is sharper, some say the 28-70 is sharper and I can't find a

comparison anywhere online. I have no clue what the differences are

between the two other than the fact that the 24-70 has three

aspherical elements in it and the 28-70 has two. The 24-70 is also a

bit more expensive (which I know doesn't mean it's a better lens at

all). Anyone have any experience with one or both of these lenses? I

can't afford the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L unless I'd sell a kidney...

ridiculously priced lens. Thanks, everyone.

I once had access to both these Sigma lenses, as did colleagues. The 28-70mm is, in our opinion, CLEARLY the better lens. I/we did not find the 24-70mm Sigma better in any way, shape, form, etc. Both lenses are as you would expect, heavy, and I think the close-focus on both is about the same 16" or so. If you have other faster/longer Sigma or EOS lenses, and use filters, the 28-70mm might have a selling point in filter size since it is 77mm, as opposed to 82mm (if you are unfamiliar with filter costs, big quality filters can cost as much as a cheap AF lens!). If you decide on either lens, best as always to shop around, especially when one of the items you are looking at might have just been discontinued or whatever. A friend just bought the 28-70mm, and is was almost 25% less than the 24-70mm. This might be because Sigma intends to close-out the older design, the 28-70mm, but I cant say for sure. As for Sigma f2.8 zooms, it is the 70-200mm which is the "star" lens, even though many people opt for the slightly slower but excellent Canon 70-200mm USM f4L.

I recently sold my Sigma 2.8/28-70, found it quite loud and slow on my 1N, and I didn't really need f2.8 - but yes, tests say: it's better than the 24-70, plus it fits the 10d perfectly.

What about EF 28-135IS instead?

Kurt

I used to have 24-70 version, and it was okay.

Good things..

Constant 2.8, goes doen to 24mm, very sharp at wide end, cheaper than Canon version, zoom ring doesn't creep.

Not so good things...

Still haavy than Tamron version, 82mm filter size, needed to stop down at the long end for my taste.

However, from what I have seen, 28-70 version may be sharper, but I don't have direct comparison. If you use digital, you might want to wait for the new 24-60/2.8EX from Sigma.

Thanks.

Hiromu

I have the 28-70 version and really like it. I use it on both my EOS 3 and 10D. It is a little noisy but not that bad. I have never shot Canon's L glass but the focus speed seems similar to the Canon 28-105 EF. But, I've never put a stopwatch on it. The only bad thing is it is prone to flare a little bit. This is only a problem if I forget to check where the sun is before I shoot and when I'm shooting without the hood. I would recommend it to anybody.

Just a thought...you might want to check out the Tamron SP AF Aspherical XR Di 28-75 2.8 . I looked at the Canon for my 10D, but didn't have the funds. The Tamron is fast, smooth, and incredibly sharp. I purchased the Tamrom for less than $350 before xmas. See a review here: http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=711 .

<P> Everything I read leads me to believe that the Tamron 28-75/2.8 is an excellent lens. Probably the best third-party mid-range zoom. Only a bit shy against the Canon and Nikon equivalents, which cost 4 times more. Reviews are <a href="http://www.photographyreview.com/35mm,Zoom/Tamron%20,AF28-75mm,f-2.8,XR,Di/PRD_171808_3128crx.aspx">very favorable</a>. In addition to better optical quality, you get the bonus of not having to be afraid about future <a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html#buythirdparty">incompatibility problems</a> Sigma is so notoriously known for.</P>

<P> Happy shooting , <br>

Yakim. </P>

I have the 28-70 2.8EX, and it's a great lens, in my view. I have done a few comparisons of this lens zoomed to 50mm, with my Canon EF50mm 1.4, and it's hard to see much subjective difference between the two at any aperture (except of courrse f2 and below!). Another plus point is the 77mm filter size, which is interchangeable with lots of other lenses.

The only minus points I can think of are that it is both noisy and slow focussing, and that it doesn't do FTM focussing. If only they could put an HSM motor on it.

Ed