Ricoh XR-7 recomendation?

jarrydbekker

I have been meaning to buy a second body for ages and recently came

across an old Ricoh XR-7. I thought it could fit nicely with my

other K-Mount lenses. If anybody has used/owns one please could give

me your opinion on it. ( It is priced at $70 and looks pretty well

looked after )

There are a few criterias for choosing a second body. Some prefer a similar one because of habit, some a complementary one (for exemple a mechanical and manual model to go with the automated one) and finally other just want it cheap as backup or special occasions. I am assuming you are more in that last category and price is a major issue.

Except for a few Pentax bodies (LX, MX and some others) wich are better but more expensive, the 25 year old Ricoh XR-7 is my favorite K mount camera. On the plus side: it is light and has everything to be effective and creative including aperture priority and manual modes, DOF preview, multiple exposure and exposure lock. Like many Ricohs, the slow speeds can be set down to 16 seconds. It also has a sweet electro-magnetic shutter button.

On the minus side: it lacks TTL flash, fast shutter (faster than 1/1000), led info (easier to see in low light than needle) and changeable screens. The construction is not very rugged and the rewind lever breaks easily. So, the condition is key here. There are many of these broken or impaired. For a used but still perfectly working one at $70 i say yes, especially if you trust the seller.

This is not a pro or semi-pro camera but a nice amateur model to carry around. Do i recommend it ? Yes, providing you are not tough with it. You probably have found the perfect second body and will probably find it better than your other one at certain tasks.