10D give up transition to 1d?

I have the chance to exchange my 10d with a 1D body and I am not

sure that I should go for it. I want the 55ms shutter release I want

a bigger frame viewfinder and blazing AF+ Fps but I want Resolution

and ablillity to make bigger enlargements and I also need

compactness, also how prone is the 1D CCD to Dust compared to the

CMOS of the 10? does the output of the 10D compare in any way to the

Nikon D1X ?

Let me put it to you this way: Sports Illustrated uses 1D cameras for the Superbowl, not the 10D.

Put the 1D in your hand: that will tell you if you want it or not. I would venture to say that the 4mp images will enlarge better than 6mp images from a 10D.

I've got a D60, DRebel and 1D. The difference in resolution between the 6mp and 4.11mp is not insignificant but requires only a small amount of interpolation up-rezzing to equal them out. All digital is a sham, the capture is soft and the "photo-quality" is done artificially by software, so I wouldn't obsess over differences in native capture megapixels in anything less than factors of two. Even then I'd have to say that anyone satisfied with the phonyness of digital would not be able to tell a 1D-MkII shot from an up-rezzed 1D shot.

What you do get with the 1D's larger pixel size despite the lesser # of pixels, is more dynamic range, which is sorely lacking in general with digital.

Only go for the 1D if you need the speed and durability it offers.

Despite what others have said, ultimate picture quality will be similar, with IMHO a slight nod to the 10D. And yes to 10D's output is just as good as the D1x. Dont focus on output quality that much though since all decient DSLR's of a similar generation are basically the same (there are a few dogs though none from Canon or Nikon).

Your remark about compactness is what I would be concerned about. I used a 1n for

about 3 years before going to the 10d and didn't realize how much I missed a smaller

SLR. I would say weigh out which aspect is most important to you and if compactness

is 1 or 2 on the list... stick with the 10d. The image quality is pretty much the same

(you can download RAW formats from both cameras on Dpreview.com and fiddle with

those).

Hi Pantelis,

I have access to, own and rent EOS 1Ds, EOS 1D, EOS D60 and EOS 10D bodies. I own Canon's L class zoom "tripplets" (EF 16-35 2.8L, EF 28-70 2.8L, EF 70-200 2.8L IS), and several other fast Canon L primes and teles. I shoot sports and people mostly and am more and more often asked to shoot interiors (this is why I some times need the EOS 1Ds).

The body I reach for 99% of the time is the EOS 1D. The reason is that it's as responsive as the EOS 1V and EOS 1Ds bodies but is capable of digital capture at high speed and frame rates. The EOS 1D offers about the same resolution on prints as the EOS D60/10D does up to 11x17 with trivial effort during post capture processing and printing. The only real reason I use the EOS 1Ds is that I need the wider FOV of a full frame DSLR and the strong AA filtering the EOS 1Ds provides for lower pattern artifacts in print.

Dust is dust, the EOS 1D and D60/10D can and will collect it and will need occassional cleaning. This is the way it is at the moment unless you have an Olympus E1.

Can't say about the D1X compared to the 10D but I've seen beautiful moderate sized prints made from D1X files.

HTH

You want resolution and compactness? Then the 10D is the choice. The 10D provides higher resolution and better quality color images than the 1D along with superior battery life. Excellent vacation camera. If you need a fast-responding camera (AF, shutter release, 8fps) then the 1D is the choice. You need to decide what is MOST important. The later 1D bodies are almost as clean as a 10D at high ISO.

If you need it ALL (resolution, color quality, fast fps, great battery life) then go and get the 1DmII and you will have no regrets (and no excuses for not getting a shot).

Hi Pantelis,

In terms of actual measured resolution the EOS 10D offers no more than a 10% improvement over an EOS 1D. I agree with these measured test and can tell you that in the real world you will be hard pressed to see the difference in resolution on paper up to 11x17 output if processed equally.

As to color accuracy, this is more dependant on post capture RAW processing skill and the calibration of the client's eyeballs than is likely to be seen when comparing JPEGs as the test and review sites use. I shoot with EOS 1D, 1Ds, D60 and 10D bodies, when shooting and saving RAW format iamges color "accuracy" is always dependent on the skill of the C1 operator and what the client likes even if you shoot a color chart to get your color corrections.

The general impression of many 10D owners is that the 10D has lower noise than the 1D at high ISO settings. This is a popular myth and simply not true, the popular website that has noise level testing information shoots their high ISO "tests" under bright light conditions which gives the false impression that the 10D has lower noise in the real world. Most people don't shoot in bright light at high ISO settings. Normally when the light levels are high a lower ISO is selected and when light conditions are lower a higher ISO is selected. This is how most DSLRs are used in thr real world. Under these more normal conditions the EOS 1D can produce lower noise images than the 10D.

Look here for real world high ISO and LOW LIGHT testing of the 10D and 1D DSRL's: http://www.tow.com/photogallery/2004/20040130_iso/ and decide if you still believe that the 10D has lower noise than the 1D at high ISO settings.

Cheers/Chip