covering the camera with a plastic bad, I find it too difficult to

operate the controls, I dry the camera carefully once I'm back

inside. I did this with my last camera, an FG, and never had any

troubles with it. I've heard the F3P has excellent weather sealing

and I understand that a normal F3 isn't that well sealed, but is it

good enough?

Thanks for your input,

--Dominic

I took my 22 year old F3 to a 24hr car race in February and it rained for like 12 continuous. The camera got soaked, along with its owner. The camera and 6 rolls of film showed no affect. I had to keep buying $4.00 cups of coffee in the paddocks to get napkins to dry it off.

Now I carry a D70 around and I don't think it would fare as well. I'd hate to think what would happen if water got in the SW lens and shorted out.

I was out in a rain storm with my F3HP a couple of years ago and I was trying to keep the worst off it by keeping under my coat when not taking shots but it did get a good soaking, I think combination of being wet and my body heat caused the finder to fog to the point where I couldn't see thru it any more (after an hour or so). Back at the hotel it only took a couple of minutes with a hair dryer to gently warm it to clear it.

<p><i>I went on a boat trip in rain with my F3HP, it got wet both by sea water and rain. I wiped it with tissues. So far so good!!</i><br><br>However I'd be worried about the sea water, as the salt is corrosive (especially damaging to the lens). I'd check both the lens and the camera to make sure there are no signs of corrosion, if there aren't you're lucky;-).

<br><br>

--Dominic </p>

I've shot many times in a British Columbia rain miles from civilization with my F3's and they never quit. Still, I'm careful to keep the camera tucked away when necessary. I worry more about water drops on the front element since they can ruin a shot. Use a lens hood and always keep it pointed down.

The sealing around the viewfinder can never really be as good as a camera with a fixed prism. A little dust creeping in is normal though I tend to see a lot more accumulate on the bottom of the focus screen.

My guess is that it will be more rugged than an FG so your practices are probably fine.

I don't know if you meant F3P or F3HP. The F3P was Nikon's "press model" of the F3 and was supposed to be more rugged than the F3 or F3HP. It had several modifications compared to the standard F3HP. If you want, you can check it out by copying the link below. I bought an F3HP a few months ago and have never looked back. It is very rugged and sealed very well (well, good enough for me. I don't plan on shooting in a monsoon like one poster mentioned above.) I'd just be sure to let it dry thoroughly afterwards so as not to give the metal components of your camera or lenses the opportunity to rust. I've shot in light rain with no worries and no problems. That's my five cents worth. (adjusted for inflation)

Regards,

Jason Marino

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/variations/f3p/index.htm

Regards,

Jason Marino

• 4 weeks later...