Crooked Type E3 Focusing Screen in FM3A

damon_kirschbaum

I recently replaced the factory-installed focusing screen in my FM3A with a Type E3

focusing screen. Unfortunately, it is crooked. One side of the top horizontal line is

closer to the top of the viewfinder than the other side. I have tried several times to

make it level. It has been tilted in both directions.

Are there tricks to installing a Type E3 focusing screen correctly? Is it possible that the

focusing screen is level, but that something else is out of alignment?

Do you mean by that one of the corners is not deep into the "pocket"?

Look into the FM3A manual -I believe is page 47- and follow carefully the instructions, the viewfiender should be positioned slightly from the right side, let it drop right into place and then press the lower metallic "frame' locking into its place.

Good luck

I am not sure about whether one of the corners is not deep in the pocket. They both

seem to be down as far as they can go. I followed the instructions. I cannot fathom

why the horizontal lines are not horizontal and the vertical lines are not vertical. The

simplest explanation seems to be that one of the corners is not pushed down as far as

it should be. But, that does not seem to be the case.

I have the same problem with my FM3a; the grid lines of the E3 screen are tilted slightly. I've tried reinstalling it several times with no luck. Mine was always off in one direction, however. I purchased a used E screen for a Nikon FE sometime ago, and the instruction sheet with that stated that if, after several tries, you were unable to position the screen "straight", the camera should be sent in for adjustment. Perhaps the screen holding frame in some cameras is just a little off. I should try the E3 screen again while using a bubble level in the flash shoe and see if the grid lines are actually on the level or not.

Okay, an update:

Took the camera down to the store today (they handle camera repairs too). The technician told me that it was the first time he had encountered this problem. This is what he did:

My E3 screen: A; His Intenscreen (Grid with 45° Split Image): B; His E2 screen (first one, new in box): C; His E2 screen (taken from a used FE2): D.

1. Took A out

2. Put B in; grid is crooked; took B out

3. Put C in; grid still crooked; took C out

4. Puts A into an FE2; grid crooked; takes A out

5. Puts D into my camera; grid straight

6. Tries A in my camera again; grid still crooked

He has no idea what is wrong with it, so he will order a new screen for me from Nikon and we'll go from there.

From the above, we can ascertain that the problem is most likely not due to the camera body itself, but lies with the screens (since D worked in my camera, and A did not work in the other body). The puzzling thing is the Intenscreen, but he assures me that it's quite normal with those screens.

<em>"I believe that my F3 is O.K., since another screen

in the shop behaved the same way..." --Conny Duwez<br>

</em><br>

No, if two screens behave the same way then the body is more

likely off (unless that's a feature). Its an imperfect

world guys. I dont know how far off you figure the grid is.

If the grid on the viewing screen is straight then perchance the

thing (thats a technical term) that the screen rests on is

askew. Im speaking of the F3 now. Its held down by

four Phillips head screws. You can probably tweak it 0.1mm on

each side. Remember its reversed right to left. If you drop

your precision screw driver and crack your mirror this

conversation did not happen. If you over tighten the screws and

split that "thing," the devil made you do it.<br>

<br>

I just tweaked mine and I feel better. Now I surmise Kodak will

mount my slides 15° cattywampus.<br>

<br>

Water, water everywhere and all the boards did shrink. --S. T.

Coleridge