I am going to be in San Diego for a week in early June. Besides Sea

World and the ocean, what are some other points of interest that

might be worth exploring while there? I want some remote quiet spot

and want to avoid crowds like the plague. I prefer scenics and

landscapes, some macro and some documentary style photo images. Any

assistance is greatly appreciated. Especially if you know of

festivals or events that might make the trip interesting for me and

the family. Thanks in advance.

I was just in San Diego about a month ago and we did kind of a whirlwind tour of the

place. If you want to check out some of the photos I took, you can see them on my

website: <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/eschrad/PhotoAlbum38.html">http://

homepage.mac.com/eschrad/PhotoAlbum38.html</a>

<br><br>

Definitely go to Balboa Park... there are a lot of small museums there, but it is nice

to just walk the grounds and see the gardens and fountains and the architecture. It is a

BIG park... quiet too. There is a photography museum and an artisans market.

<br><br>

San Diego Zoo... an old zoo, but world-renowed. Best to go in the morning when the

animals are active, although we were there in the afternoon until closing, but that was

because of our schedule. The Zoo is right there next to Balboa Park (or you might say "in"

the Park).

<br><br>

Cabrillo Point... monument, lighthouse, great view of ocean, San Diego, and the Bay. Ships

and sailboats go in and out of the bay. Take the road down to the Tide Pools to get down

by the ocean... it was high tide when we were there though so we didn't get to see the Tide

Pools. It is a National Monument, so you can get in for free with a National Parks Pass,

otherwise it is like $7 or something.

<br><br>

Coronado Island... Hotel del Coronado is famous. Has a fabulous Sunday champagne

brunch (should be at $50/person!). The Hotel itself is fascinating and is one of the few

places to find a sandy beach. Beautiful woodwork inside. They filmed Some Like It Hot

there. Coronado Island itself is also neat too... nice shops, nice houses.

<br><br>

La Jolla is pretty... nice houses, some beaches, nice shops. Torrey Pines Golf Course is

there. Further north is Del Mar which is an interesting little town... a lot of the architecture

is Tudor-style. Town feels like it is trying to do a Stratford-upon-Avon thing or

something... never did figure out why it was like that. More shops and things... quiet.

<br><br>

Old Town San Diego... there is a Mexican Bazaar there with shops and performances and

restaurants. Old Town has interesting historical buildings and more shops.

<br><br>

Gaslamp District... lots of restaurants, but not photo-friendly. Busy and it is hard to find a

parking spot.

<br><br>

From downtown, a lot of people take the red train to Tijuana... we thought about going,

but never made it and on our last afternoon opted for the zoo instead.

<br><br>

Sea World was great... I didn't take my camera in, although I wish I had. Even though it

was nice not to have to carry it for a change!

<br><br>

DO NOT go to the Mission Beach area, except for going to Sea World. It's trashy... nothing

of photographic interest... at least nothing that I know of because I didn't want to get out

of my car!

<br><br>

Have a great time!

The other's have mentioned many of the prime places. However, seeking points of interest that are remote, quiet and crowdless is may be asking too much. The San Diego area is an extremely popular vacation area and while schools won't necessarily all be out, that is at the start of the summer vacation season. You might want to think about going towards Julian and over the mountains to the desert although, the situation after last year's fires may be such that it won't be as scenic as it had been. AFAIK Cuyamaca Rancho State Park is still closed. Anza-Borrego may be pretty hot by then. OTOH, "June Gloom" may fog up the mornings. I think most of the spots mentioned, will be enjoyable, crowds being most likely on week-ends.

Check the Wild Animal Park and Zoo for their summer schedules, the evenings are less crowded and usually very pleasant.

thank you all for the wonderful responses. i look forward to exploring some of the venues and avenues. i will bring back at least one keeper from this trip. i will make time to find one.

The above posts really cover the topic well. I would add one more place just for completeness (although probably not in line with your interests) and that is the SD Airport. For those interested in planes and airports, the low level landing pattern over Balboa Park is very accessable, and the Airport is very close to downtown.

Here are some more shots from San Diego (and a suburb or two) -

http://www.members.tripod.com/~fcpage/San-Diego-Gallery/index.htm

Cheers and have a good trip