wlf vs. prism

maarten_van_viegen

hey,

I use a hasselblad with the wlf.

But when using the wlf I find you really have to bend over to look

at the bottom part of the image (1-2mm is blocked by the wlf system).

Is this the same when using a prism finder? or will this give me a

better view?

btw. is the groundglass showing a 100% image?

thanks,

A prism finder is a lot easier to use in most circumstances. I prefer a 45 degree finder, as it is suitable for both high and low angle shots, and has higher magnification than the 90 degree prism.

The WLF give a 100% view. A prism gives between 92 and 96% of the true field, per the Wildi handbook. Unlike a WLF, a prism is bright from corner to corner, and magnifies 2-3x.

Prisms are probably never 100% views. I'm sure just how much you'll get will depend

on the prism/camera.

Prisms are also dimmer than waistlevel views. How much dimmer also depends on the

prism. Newer prisms should be brighter, but in the case of Hasselblad, the newer

prisms may also offer slightly less magnification. I believe the newstyle 45-degree

prism is 2.5x, while the older is 3x....

"Better view" is a matter of choice, and usually compromise. Also, even though you

may favor one over the other with a brief test/experience, you may find yourself

changing your mind later with increased use. I had convinced myself i needed a 45-

degree prism on a 203FE. After a while, though, i found i was using the waistlevel

most often. The brigher view made focusing easier, and i just got used to the

diminshed weight.

What's odd about waistlevel finders is that i LIKE the reversed view. I think it helps my

composition to NOT see things the way they are. Sort of like how some people like

the upside-down view on Large Format cameras...

Being equipped with a normal human neurological makeup I can't comfortable follow moving subjects with a WLF, and lying and saying I can't won't make it so, so in those cases I use a prism. For most of what I use MF for, landscapes, the WLF is fine, takes up less room and weighs less.

Hi Maarten,

You are probably Dutch (like me) but I'll answer you in English anyway. The prism do give me a better view and the wlf drove me crazy with that reverse image. The prism really helps me a lot when shooting portraits f.i. Yes, it does cover the complete 100% of the image. And hey, you can always take it of if you need to shoot a landscape from a very low viewpoint.

Daniel Janssen

Maarten,<br><br>Are you using the older type waist level finder which tapers towards the top? The newer type is considerably better when it comes to providing a full view of the screen.<br><br>Following moving subjects using a waist level finder is not hard at all. You just need to get used to the reversed image, which only takes a little practice.<br><br>As Edward answered, prism finders do not show the full screen. However, not even the waist level finder shows the full picture. Yes, they do provide a 100% view of the focussing screen, edge to edge, but then the focussing screen does not show the full 100% (only 98%) of what will appear on film.<br><br>A (or at least my) good reason to use prism finders instead of the waist level finder (apart from the non-revesed image) is that they make you hold the camera higher, avoiding the belly-button/i-get-a-perfect-view-of-your-nasal-passage-from-down-here perspective.<br>