Leica CM -- experience

mallen

I am interested in buying a Leica CM and would like to hear whether

those of have them are satisfied. I am particularly intested in

whether you find the auto focus and the exposure control to be

accurate. Other pros and cons would be helpful, too.

I have read the posts on this forum and on the Leica company users

forum. There aren't many reports yet, but those who have posted seem

generally satisfied. Any real life experience with this camera would

be appreciated.

I would also consider the Contax T3, but I've seen a number of

reports from very dissatisfied users of that camera. If any has a

view on that, it would be appreciated, too.

Thanks

I do have the T3. A wonderful piece.I also own good Canon glass like the 70-200 2.8L and the 50 1.4. That litlle 35mm glass in the T3 outperform them both. Amazing qualitie. No complains for the size,built and image quality. Remember it's a point-shot with extra features and you'll have no complains too...

You might want to have a look at the Rollei AFM [a rebadged Fuji Klasse]. I checked out the AFM and the T3 looking for a compact backup for my old Rollei 35. I preferred the simple viewfinder on the AFM. The T3 has a lot more info in the viewfinder but it seemed cluttered and the framlines were difficult to see. The T3 is more compact than the AFM, more the size of my Rollei 35. I wanted to have a look at the CM but B&H didn't have one in stock at the time. At almost $1000, I don't think that too many have been sold.

I have a T3, and reckon it's a fine camera too. The only problems I have are when I

forget the AF sensor is fairly broad field and I get something closer than the subject in

focus. I should use the spot AF more... Also didn't the CMs all get recalled because they

exhibited the same problem the Minilux had with regards to the shutter?

"Also didn't the CMs all get recalled because they exhibited the same problem the Minilux had with regards to the shutter?"

No, they didn't. Mine is still taking pictures after 6 months of use in deserts (with 48 C in the shade), in wadi trips underwater (inside a pelican case), under extreme conditions (I am in Oman, BTW). It is a very good camera, perfect for my requirements for a small and reliable box with a super quality lens.

I have a Rollei AFM too, it is very good as well. But I have grown very fond of the little Leica for BW photography on the fly.<div>008OGu-18180984.jpg.d9183c120aa94073e53fe8d4776699a1.jpg</div>

Here is one in the Nizwa goat market.

I like this compact camera a lot, that does not mean it will be suited to your shooting style, of course. But I just wonder how people can sometimes post opinions without actually using the kit!

Ref. the recall issue, I have contacted their customer service via e-mail (I bought mine from B&H, shipped to Oman), and they told me I should not be concerned if my camera is working fine, which it is. Some problem with the camera not storing settings in memory after turning it off.

As a final note, I have to say that I am not a Leica user per se, I use EOS (AF, slides)and Nikon (travel light, hikes, B&W)for most of my photography. But as I said, the Leica is a very little photographic tool.<div>008OH3-18181184.thumb.jpg.865287ff7dc91b2b8b7d5e1aa33ff4e0.jpg</div>

Don't forget the Contax T2.

<p>

I bought a T3 and changed it for a T2 because I find it ergonomically easier to use. On the T2 setting exposure compensation and manual focus overide is done through dials. On the T3 it is done through repeated pressing of tiny buttons - a bit fiddlier. This is something I found true of the CM although I have only handled this briefly in a shop.

<p>

There is a review of the T3 <a href="http://www.photo.net/contax/t3" >here </a> on photo.net

<p>

(The above hyperlink is to one of the static pages on PN. You might have trouble loading the page if you have Norton Internet Security 2003 installed and running)

<p>

Regards,

<p>

Stuart

Can I put my two penn'orth in and mention the Konica Hexar AF?

There are plenty of threads about it on this site as well as on

Cameraquest; I find it's the camera I use most day to day.

I looked at the Minilux and T3 before buying it; It has a 35/2.0

lens that many people consider of Leica quality; for colour work,

with print film, I prefer the look of it to my 40mm Summicron C.

The autofocus is brilliant; much quicker and more usable than

the T3, although it is bulkier, roughly the size of an M6. They

have an outfit in Jessops Classics for £299, and I bought my

outfit for around £200, less than you'd pay for a Leica lens.

Anyway, look through this site and you'll see people extol its

virtues far more succinctly than I can...

Paul,

I concur with you opinion on the Hexar. It´s very usable and has a lens that is very similar in character and quality to the Summicron-M 35/2 (pre-ASPH). As far as smaller cameras are concerned I love the Contax T2; it has IMHO the best user interface of all P&S cameras so far.

Carsten

Another vote for the T2 here.

Great camera that is very tough. Not too small, not too big. I love putting it on timer (set to infinity) whizzing it around my head (on its long neckstrap) very fast and letting go. I get some great arial shots with a little creative blur and as long as it lands on grass it is usually unharmed!

Also cracks open brazil nuts a treat!

• 2 months later...

I have a CM, and for me it is perfect. The auto focus is great but you can override it if you want as well, with a really good display to help you focus. The apature settings are useful as well. For what I've been doing which is street archetecture style photography, I've been setting the appature myself but letting the auto focus do that side of things. This though is more a personal thing. Mainly due to my being short sighted I'm crap at focusing.

This brings me on to my main gripe with the contax (which in the UK is more expensive than the Leica) It like the majoraty of cameras isn't suitable for eyeglass wearers. The CM is, straight out of the box. It might sound a small thing, but when I looked at the Contax in a shop I litrally couldn't see through the viewfinder. The CM's is built up so you can put the rubber surround on your glasses and see properly.

I think that the CM is a great camera, I haven't left the house with out it since I got it.

This is a picture of Plantation Place, a new office building in Fenchurch St. London. It was taken with the CM, useing crappy 200 colour film that is given away in shop's, and the JPEG transfer was done by when I had the film developed by Jessops (UK High St store). When I first got the camera I used this cheep film to see how it would look. As with my old SLR the cheep film didn't look good. This dose look good. With Kodak TX (B&W) and my personal fave Ilford Delta, the results are stunning. Although I haven't got any of those on JPEG yet. I like this picture, but was not happy with the transfer to CD.<div>009AUY-19192884.jpeg.4fb487c53cc6ec1cb22841396427da8a.jpeg</div>