serious 3rd party telephoto

peter leponi

300/f4 IS is very nice, more than that, even w/ 1.4TC, but I'm

hesitating to use it with 2TC(I don't even own one, just borrowed)and

I'm looking for some longer telephoto for wildlife, let's say 500mm.

I know, it's always the same old story, quality vs.price. I'm not

willing nor able to pay 7000+$ for such Canon gear. I've used to

catch some reports saying that some 3rd party lenses sometimes happen

to be very good, but it is matter of particular model.Any tips?

Thanx.

Forget the third-party lenses and find a used 500 f/4.5 L. It should run you $2500 or less. Third-party lenses depreciate rapidly when bought new, and run a serious risk of incompatibility with future Canon bodies.

Your best affordable solution is the Canon EF 400mm f5.6 L which you can also use with good results with the 1.4x to provide you a 560mm f8 when you need it. You may lose autofocus with the 1.4x. This will be a better alternative than the Sigma mega zooms that are often heralded in this forum.

It is too bad that Canon has not developed a 500mm f5.6 Mirror lens in the EF mount, but I guess they could not do it for much cheaper than the 400 anyway. Good luck!

in their EX range they have:

500mm f4.5

800mm f8

50-500mm f4-6.3

300-800mm f6.6

I've met at least pro wildlife photographer who found the image quality of the Sigma lenses to be good enough to produce imges that sold.

Simon !

In black and white, everyone's a hero

Look into Sigma's telephotos.

Yeah, the consensus on the web is that Sigma is junk, yadda yadda. Then you go to www.hoothollow.com and guess who is using a Sigma 120-300/2.8 zoom? None other than Joe McDonald. As far as I am concerend, that settles the debate for me.

http://www.hoothollow.com/Tip-December%202003.html

I did a lot of research on the web a couple of years ago, and the Sigma 50-500 got very good reviews.. almost on par with the Canon 100-400L IS. Actually, based on test results, the Sigma 170-500 slightly outperformed the 50-500. And it is quite cheap... so that could be your budget lens right there.

I'd say your best option would be to get a 10D, which, when coupled with the 1.6x crop factor, makes your 300/4IS a 480/4L IS (I have the 300/4L and my 10D is going to be here day after tomorrow - that's what I am doing until next year, when I get a 500/4L IS).

Your second option is the 50-500, which, IMO, would be a better purchase b/c of USM, better build quality and more effective zoom range.

Third option is the 170-500.

HTH,

Vandit

If I were to get a 500mm lens I'd probably get the Canon 500/4.5. Though I hear that some Sigma lenses are optically very good I - personally - wouldn't invest a lot of money in third party lenses because a) Compatibility issues are likely to appear in the future and b) Re-sale value is awful, about 50%.

If I'd found a used third party lens in mint condition at about 25%-30% of it's price as new I'd give it some serious consideration. I - personally - wouldn't pay more. YMMV.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.