Buy in the US - international warranty. Is it possible?

pablo_s

Hi, I'm planning on buying a Digital Rebel or 10D system in the US

(where I'm right now), using it for a few months and then reselling

it in South America (where I'll be then). One big problem is that

although at the moment of selling I will still have several months

of official warranty left, it'll be only valid in the US. Do you

know if there is anyway to get an international warranty while

buying in the US? It could be either the official one or an add-on

such like the mack warranties. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Pablo

Check the B&H Photo-Video website. There usually is a 'grey' market item and a US-import item. If you want a International warranty, then get the grey-item. Canon (?) may not transfer a warranty to the second owner...best bet is contact Canon's website and ask them.

Hi,

Contrarily to a previous answer, from my experience (I bought only lenses on grey marked, but I assume it is the same as for a camera), when you buy on grey marked you get a warranty from the supplier (e.g. B&H). I think before going to this, I would send a mail to B&H, explaining your concern and asking if they have a solution.

Regards,

Olivier.

If you buy from B & H with a USA warranty, I understand that Canon will honour that warranty worldwide. This is different to other brands, such as Minolta, where anything purchased outside Australia can't even be serviced here due to a greedy distributor.

Well, Canon Argentina told me warranties are only valid in the country of purchase. Canon Latin America is known for their ridiculous prices (up to 100% more expensive than US), so this comes as no surprise... although there are mixed reviews about Mack warranties that seems to be the only option. Thanks again, Pablo.