Push processing Polaroids??

roger krueger

I've recently gotten addicted to shooting Polaroids with my Mamiya

Universal and am now wondering if there is any documentation about

pushing the various pack films - X number of extra seconds at temp Y =

Z stops of extra film speed. I'm sure I could find out by trial and

error, but trial and error is expensive with Polaroids.....

i frequently use the polaroid mono pos/neg film. timing and temperature definitely effect development. unfortunately the h/d "curve" is more like a straight line, so little can be done a la zone system (i.e. highlight and shadows continue to develop at an equal pace once you pass optimum time). only at the top of the curve do pos highs/neg lows start to take off (presumably due to local developer exhaustion. i have heard of people using their hands to warm areas of pack during development to get selective development (warm below the horizon, e.g.), but my experience tells me you only screw things up BADLY by touching the pack during dev. by the way, polaroid publishes comprhensive booklets for all its film products and will gladly send you a free copy if you call (with h/d curves, reciprocity failure info, etc.). good luck. i LOVE the polaroid b/w materials. there is a great book published recently showing real size repros of many of adams polaroid shots. and beseler still makes a carrier in the 3.75x4.5 (or whatever) size.