S.K. Grimes...

capocheny

Hi All,

This isn't a rant about ANOTHER deadbeat/faulty dealer or repair shop...it's entirely the

opposite.

I sent my 360 Symmar F6.8 lens in (about 21/2 weeks ago) to S.K. Grimes for aperture

scale engraving. Well, I just received it back this morning and "it is outstanding in every

way imaginable."

Their communications was outstanding and "EVERYTHING" that I requested on my work

order was completed...even the Customs Information Form.

Since the lens was Canadian owned and was just being sent back from repairs it had to be

stated as such on the form (otherwise, I would have had to pay additional Customs fees

and other charges... I wasn't disappointed. The forms were completed as they should have

been.

The packaging was exceptional (they even used the same container I sent it in!) and the

service was first rate. Need I say more?

Thanks to all the guys at S.K. Grimes... it's no wonder the LF community has such high

regards for your operations!

Cheers

PS: I ordered the appropriate iris scale(s) through a local dealer over 5 months ago and it

still hasn't arrived! Guess I'll have to cancel it.... :>)

<p><i>"Who's doing all this good work now that the originator has passed away I

wonder?"</i><br>

Adam, Jason and Joel, I think... <a href="http://skgrimes.com/4.htm"

target="blank">http://skgrimes.com/4.htm</a></p>

<p>btw, I have never read any bad experience in "working" with SK-Grimes (and I'm not

looking for such stories right now;)), but also haven't find any European testimony...

Anyone

from Europe ordered some service from them? How did you handled custom (exporting

and importing again your lens)?<br>

<br>

Janko</p>

Andre,

I had communications with both Adam and Joel...as for who does the "actual" work I wasn't

worried about that aspect. In my mind, the job was done professionally and looked like a

million bucks. So, at the end of the day, it didn't matter who did the work. I'm sure it's

easy enough to find out though... send them a note and they'll reply back lickety-split. :>)

Janko,

I would think Europe would be similar to Canada in that when you send them a piece of

gear for repair/adjustment... you NEED to indicate on the Customs form that it is (in my

case) "Canadian-Owned and that the item is been sent in for repairs." If you don't include

this on the form...they (S.K. Grimes) get hit with charges (taxes, duties, etc) by the IRS.

And, when they send it back to you they need to include on their declaration form for

Customs purposes (again, in my case) that it is, "Canadian-Owned and been returned to

owner." If they don't do this... you will get hit with taxes/etc on your end from your

government agency.

There is recourse, however, but it's a pain in the butt! If someone doesn't declare the

above and you get hit with a tax you can go to the courier service (which is what I did on

another item) and ask for a "re-rate." In this case (UPS), they asked the shipper to re-do

the Customs form properly and to send it in to them. Once they receive it, they send a

form back to Customs and things get worked out at the end of the day. But, as you can

see, it's a bit of a nuisance to have to go through this process.

With regards to S.K. Grimes... Joel handled my paperwork and it was filled out properly. So,

he's well aware of these issues. The prudent thing to do is to include a letter with your

item and ask them to "make sure that the declaration is done properly." You can certainly

include the "proper wording" so that they'll include that in their paperwork. I also sent

them an email requesting that they adhere to this request.

They were great... I don't think you'll have any problems with S.K. Grimes in this regard.

Cheers

If you're sending an item to them use your country's mail service and not UPS, FedEx, "Percolator" Carrier or any other shipping service. State on your forms that it's items being sent for repair and remind them to do the same. The paperwork for UPS and FedEx is complicated and easy to mess up. Items sent out of the U.S. by UPS or FedEx can cause the sender to get whacked with export fees long after you've received the item.

I sent a Nikkor 300mm SW and a brand new Copal 3 shutter and had the "works" done, right down to a custom lens caps. The quality of the work they do is unbelievable. I had the lens married to the shutter, a custom f stop indicator, and custom caps.

The finished product has to be seen to be believed. It looks as if it came from the factory this way.

b.