What technique could this be? (YSL campaign by Glen Luchford)

Photos posted at: http://photos.yahoo.com/florianstadler03

What kind of opticals would you guess that Luchford used for the YSL

campaign with Christy Turlington? Looks like some kind of Dome with a clear

center? Is there an ancient photographic technique that his is derived from?

Comments and ideas on achieving something like this (beautiful center with

fisheye like out of focus at the edges) would be highly appreciated

Regards

Florian Stadler<div>008MzT-18148784.thumb.jpg.b51b28afb00e85d42c31b3822b026f89.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
hmm im not really sure this topic/thread is right 'what technique could this be?' What you dudes are trying to get it from? Glen was using his vision and has just shot it and choosed this pic just being him. It could be just anything, it could be even an unexpectly good shot, or just an accidental shot which appeared to be breath-taking once seen on the contact sheet. And even if you would know what technique has been used there, you will attempt to remake it all over? I dont want to sound offensive, but my point of view about the techniques used in fashion photography is very secondary, i just don't care about which technique it is. Personally, i just shoot being me and any light equipment and 'technique' i use are just an extension and a part of me while im shooting. This just makes your stuff different, unique and proper to YOUR own style as any fashion phtogorapher out there. So, just dont think of 'how was made someone's else stuff' and just shoot yours by your own, starting from scratch.

• 4 years later...

<p>It's not fisheye...yes, the DOF field is very shallow. But more obviously, do you see fish-eye distortion?? No, none at all...<br /> <br /> He shot through a round hole in something.<br /> <br /> The hole is quite near the lens, and because of the very shallow depth of field, the very edges of the hole act as an "aperture" and focus the light tighter at the edges of the hole.<br /> <br /> It's the same principle by which an aperture mask in the shape of say, a star, will make out-of-focus highlights be star-shaped...but in that case, the mask is so close to the lens, you don't see it in the picture.<br /> <br /> In Glen's shot, the mask is not close enough to the lens to keep from being seen in the picture, and that's why the "aperture mask" effect is only seen at the edges of the hole.<br>

<br /> To match his exact effect, you'd need to do some experimenting...but I'd expect it would be difficult to take advantage of the optical phenomenon using smaller than medium format.</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>Florian<br>

It was a fluke. I was shooting this with film lights, on a set made of trees and roses and it looked a bit dead. My assistant put a snoot from the front of a tungsten light next to me and i picked it up and held it in front of the camera. It gave me the affect you see, there is no post work done on this except a few lines from the face were removed. I still cant work out why the background started to distort but the model stayed normal. An anomoly you might say.<br>

Glen Luchford. Dec 09.</p>