Digital Data Dump Device

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a portable card reader/HD that I

can use to download my images on. Currently I bring my laptop with

me and download the images onto that, but what I'm looking for is

something small (like my iPod) that has a 20-60GB hard drive, a built

in card reader, firewire output, good battery life. A small screen

to preview images would be nice but not required.

Thanks,

Gregory

go to www.mydigitaldiscount.com, they seem to carry all the different types, good prices, I got the Image Tank G1.5, 40GB, no screen, $195 incl. s/h

On all of these devices, really check out the "rechargeable" battery they include, mine doesn't seem to work too well, but the package included an AA battery holder, and this cool AC wall plug that takes any cigarette lighter plug, so you can use it to charge camera, etc. batts too

I still swear by my old standby, the I/O Magic 20GB photo library. No built in screen, but easy to use, seems like it has good battery life, fits right in my photo bag all nice and snug and is reasonably cheap.

Check out your local radioshack or tandy stores for this one, but the one here was getting rid of them - I picked mine up for $120 or so.

http://www.iomagic.com/Products/show_all_results.asp?ProdID=I6N1USB20GB for info - they show a cost of $199, but if you find it, it can be had for a lot less.

Belkin make an adapter, the Media Reader, which allows you to use your iPod for this purpose. This might be a cheaper solution for you, but depending on your usage it might not be that great. From the reviews I've read the battery life is quite poor.

I've used the Roadstor with success on a recent two-week trip (400+ RAW photos). It's not HD, but a portable CD burner with card reader.

It also doubles as a DVD video and MP3-CD player if you have something to connect the AV to, and a PC-based CDRW/DVD player via USB.

http://www.micro-solutions.com/roadstor/index.asp

At around $250, it's likely to be cheaper than the HD ones, and storage capacity is limited by the number of blank CD-Rs you bring with you. It burns a full CD in about 10 mins, and comes with a rechargeable battery (which I didn't really use), a remote, and various cables.

It also does disk-spanning and multi-session, so it will fully utilize each CD if you so choose.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an XS-Drive II (it may be obselete by now). Cheap, can't display the pictures, but I have never lost a shot because of it. Also, it is sensitive to bumps and the battery life is poor. I carry a car charger when I go on trips and generally run it from that. I really like it.

I just bought a Flashtrax device, 20 GB hard drive, 3.5" screen, reads almost all formats including RAW, displays some video formats, has an MP3 player as well, a CF card reader slot and USB 2.0 connectivity. Reviews were very favourable and I paid 399 ? here in Germany. Look into dpreview for a news item on the thing - it also comes with 40 and 80 GB but I reckoned I'd never use that much space when travelling...

Adam