Does this camera exist (list of features)?

skygzr

Hi Everyone �

I spent some time looking around the �net, and I�m probably more

confused now than I was when I started.

I�m wondering if Pentax ever made a camera with all these features:

auto exposure, manual mode, AE lock, manual ISO settings (bulk loaded

film, you know), and DOF preview. AE lock is a �must�. I can live

without DOF preview and I don�t care about program modes. The fewer

buttons and readouts, the better.

If not Pentax, then how about Ricoh or someone else?

Thanks!

Look at the Ricoh XR7 (also sold as the Sears KS2). It has all you describe, and its AE lock is the best in the business: push to lock, push again to unlock, no trying to hold the shutter release halfway down as you climb back over the fence to your shooting position. It also has auto shutter speeds to about 20 seconds, MANUAL speeds to 16 (with meter readout).... and it handles better than any Pentax offering in its class (i didn't try out an LX for financial reasons, and I can't comment on any of the autofocus models). Screen is not interchangeable (its only shortcoming, for me) but it's a very versatile diagonal-split center.

i think you'll like it; i dumped a brand new MX to get one, back in the day, and never regretted it....

rick :)=

I bought a used MZ-5n/ZX-5n/whatever. If all I had wanted was your list of features, I would've been delighted with it. Also if it had been cheap. :)

I took it back, and ended up getting an ME Super a couple months later (which of course doesn't meet your requirements, lacking AE lock). I use it along with a cheap-o modern vivitar body which has MLU, DOF preview and a pc socket...together they meet all my 35mm needs (I don't need MLU or the pc socket often, but when I do there's no substitute).

If you get a 5n and use it stopped down a bit with AF lenses (stopped down because the af isn't killer), I predict that it will be a lot of fun and take fantastic pictures. Without the AF lenses it will still take great pictures, but AF is fun. :)

(btw, when I say stopped down I'm talking about maybe f2.8. If you don't have fast lenses you'd probably never notice the AF being a bit sloppy, but when I had the 5n I used it with a 50/1.7, and it wasn't that great).

I'd recommend the MZ-5n (Zx-5N in the US). It's got all those things.

You've got Program, Manual, Apperture and Shutter priority modes, and AE lock is under your thumb and DOF preview under your middle finger if your grip it normally with your index finger on the shutter button.

Nice simple set of buttons and readouts.

I bought mine on e-bay, and part of the deal with my wife was if I bought the *IST-D (which I have) the MZ-5N would go back on ebay (Body, battery Grip and cable release). I'm looking to get about £200 for it. Pentax UK still list it as a current model and their web site, although I understnad it has gone out of production. You can downloaded the manual from the US web site.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to throw one more out there... in canada it is the mz-6 elsewhere it is the zx-l... I have been using it as a backup to the mz-s.

I have found it to be a wonderfull machine after i went through some initial issues with getting used to it. I have had good success using everything from the autofocus 28 - 90mm that it came with, my 70-200 KA Tamron, 50mm KA, 28mm KA, to my 15 year old 300 and 500mm screw mount lenses off my spotmatic (with k-adapter and stopdown metering).

An easy camera to use, as fast or slow as you need (1/4000 to 30sec).

It took a while to get used to it, but, its light, easy to use and will, i suspect, work with any lense that any pentax camera has ever used. Plus, it can be had at a great price compared to others in its feature range/quality range.

• 2 weeks later...

Ricoh XR-P's got all of those except DOF Preview. Takes batteries to run the

shutter and meter. It's got three program modes but the middle one is

essentially auto exposure. It's got AE Lock although I haven't used it. It's got a

bunch of other 'features' so you might want to consider something more

spartan. I know Minolta has a bunch of cameras (x-series?) that have some of

the features you mention. I was given my Ricoh by my kindly mentor who also

lent me an m4-2 for awhile. I have to say I'm quite happy with my XR-P, even

after using Leica. It's got quite a soft shutter, surprisingly, although it makes an

electronic whinesnap noise. You have to use a Rikenon P lens for the

autoexposure to work. My little 50/F2 returns clear sharp negs. There are

other 'P' lenses for the XR-P that I've seen on Ebay. oh yes, it has a K mount

as opposed to m42.

Cheers!

Ahkivgak

• 1 month later...
I just want to add a hearty second to Richard Oleson's response. I have two Ricoh XR-7s and a third in Sears markings (which I prefer when I'm among equipment snobs), and I've used them with a 28-210 zoom as travel cameras. All the capability you ask for in a sturdy, compact, ergonomically superb package. The meter readout in the finder is shock-resistant solid-state, too, but without flashing lights. What looks at first glance like a meter needle is actually a series of LCDs indicating the shutter speed selected.