Hasselblad unjam tools

alder_wong

I am a Hasselblad's user. Although I have not jammed my Hassleblad before, I know it is easily happen. However, I can't find the unjam tools in HK. Would anyone tell me where I can buy it by mail order?

<p>

Thanks a lot

<p>

:-)

Alder

B & H in New York City sells a device called the "Camera Key Unjammer" for Hasselblad at $29.00. Their webpage address is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

I have used a regular screwdriver once to unjam my 500cm. It was kind of scarey - hopefully this tool would be less likely to slip or cause damage if it did slip. B & H is usually very willing to answer questions. Good Luck, Jerry Vincent.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When a Hassie jams, it is usually because the winding crank is full turned but the lens is not completely cocked. To fix the problem, you remove the film back and turn a small screw located just below the lens. This finishes cocking the lens.

<p>

The reason that a special tool is useful is to protect the inside of your body and the back element of the lens. Any slip with a screwdriver could cause a nasty scratch. The CameraKey has a brass collar around its blade that surrounds the cocking screw and keeps the tool from slipping out of place.

<p>

Now that you know how to do this DON'T PLAY WITH IT.

When a Hassie jams, it is usually because the winding crank is full turned but the lens is not completely cocked. To fix the problem, you remove the film back and turn a small screw located just below the lens. This finishes cocking the lens.

<p>

The reason that a special tool is useful is to protect the inside of your body and the back element of the lens. Any slip with a screwdriver could cause a nasty scratch. The CameraKey has a brass collar around its blade that surrounds the cocking screw and keeps the tool from slipping out of place.

<p>

Now that you know how to do this DON'T PLAY WITH IT. This tool is for cocking the Lens ONLY! If you use it on an uncocked body, you will break something. This screw cannot take the force necesary to reset the mirror.

<p>

Mark Lyle Banks I

Photokeys

• 3 months later...

I was on a Wedding about 12 years ago as an assistant with another photographer who shoots for the Carriage Trade clientele . At a crucial moment her camera froze and so did she.

<p>

With me in the hall covering the reception events she went to a phone booth to call a camera shop and gather up her nerves. She came back a little pale and shaky..I thought the worst. Then she asked if I had a coin and I produced a dime. Too shaken to be steady she gave the directions on how to set the camera. I simply reached in with the dime and turned the slot to the red dot.

<p>

Finally I asked her why she was so shaken. Her answer pointed to a real key to being a photographer. With 15 years of shooting she had never had a camera failure. PC cords sure;Hasselblad's never. She had just lost her nerve in a crisis.

<p>

I have never needed my reset tool for my own cameras but the dime came in handy one more time- when another seasoned pro had hired me as his assistant with intentions to train me into his studio. I saved the bacon 2x.

<p>

Hasselblad is my equipment of choice but I don't by ever $600 hammer made for it. Anyone want to by my dime?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Can A Hassy jam for any other reason?? I was recently shooting a wedding and my camera jammed.

More exactly, it would not wind on, I took the 220 mag off, it wound on, I put the mag on , shot off a frame at 1/500 @f/22 with my hand over the lens hood, wound on, set up my next shot, and it jammed again. I decided to move to my other mags which cleared the problem. The problem has not recurred in tests but I'm concerned about using my Hassy (especially with that 220 mag) . Can anybody help or make a suggestion??

If I understand correctly, your camera jammed when you went to wind it, but the problem was cleared when you switched to a different film back. This would indicate to me that the problem is a broken return spring in the film back. This could easily be repaired by a competent Hasselblad technician.

David S. Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

28 South Main Street #104

Randolph, MA 02368

(781) 963-1166