Help with first MF Camera

scott_mcloughlin

Scott,

You have had a lot of good information so far so I will make this short. I've used medium format since 1971. The two main systems that I have owned are Hasselblad and Mamiya 645. I hve images from both that I cherish. I prefer the focal plane shutter 'Blads (I currently use a pair of 2000FC/M's) which puts me in the minority.

Currently KEH has a ton of 645 bodies & lenses. I used to own the 55mm, 80mm & 210mm lenes, all were excelent. For less than $1000 you can get set up nicely with an M645 with prism, 120 insert, 55mm, 80mm (consider the 110mm as well) and the 210mm lens.

So if I'm a 'Blad user why am I reccomending Mamiya M645? Well, I like square and I bought my stuff in the 80's & 90's. I would NOT recomend buying a 2000 series 'Blad as the 2000 curtians are easily damaged and cost $500 to replace and parts are very hard to find. The 200 series bodies are expensive as are the optics.

Try the M645. The optics are great and will work with the latest Pro bodies as well as the first M645 of 1976.

Thanks all! I'll definitely get down to Penn and or the L street Ritz here in DC and see how they feel. Thanks for all the info and links. Wow, some really dynamite portraiture to emulate or aspire to.

I think I'm closer to a pick, but not really sure :-) I'm kind of a planner, so I've got to start a little spreadsheet on this one. I am convinced that within the range of the more popular options, I really can't go wrong for my current goals. Thanks!

Scott,

Kiev MF gears are a really good bargain in the MF. Kiev has a wide selection of glasses to choose from at giveaway prices. For instance, arsat 30mm/3.5 fisheye just costs about $200.00. Flektogon 50/4 and sonnar 180/2.8, 300/2.8 are considered the best lenses made by carl zeiss jena. Hartblei recently offers 45/3.5 shift/tilt, 65/3.5/shift, and 150/2.8 that produce superb images. If you want to go SLR, you need to consider the total cost for a SLR system. Not just a body and one lens, or 2 more lenses. Check http://www.kievaholic.com/links.html for more information. My experience with used MF cameras bought from ebay was not positive. Buying a camera from pro is really like buying a car from a taxi driver.

Richard