Flash Brackets

shane michael

I am just starting to shoot a few weddings for friends and family

with my EOS 10D and an on-camera 550EX and a 420EX for modeling. I

am looking for a camera bracket that is tripod mountable that will

accomodate the remote switch, BG-ED3 Battery Grip, and will allow

rotation of the camera, while keeping the flash above the lens for

vertical shots. What brackets are recomended? And will the use of a

hotshoe off-camera cord be compatible with the E-TTL function?

The Stroboframe "Pro-T" (plus the standard Stroboframe 300SLR AntiTwist plate) pretty much meets the criteria you list, and I just picked one up recently for the same setup. However, for vertical shots you must turn the entire bracket and flip the flash back over the lens, rather than rotate the camera within the stationary bracket.<p>When using with the BG-ED3 mounted to the 10D, you'll need to set the adjustable column up to its highest point so the flash will be centered over the lens in both horizontal and vertical shots.<p>Alternatively, the Stroboframe "Camera-Flip" will allow the rotation of the camera without turning the entire bracket, but this model lacks the clearance for the BG-ED3/10D/OCSC2 combination to be rotated within the bracket. It works fine though if you remove the BG-ED3.<p>To maintain ETTL, you must use the Canon "Off Camera Shoe Cord 2".

I went for the Stroboframe VH2000, for my 300D and vertical grip. It also doesn't rotate the camera, but I found I liked it for the way that it leaves the flash in vertical orientation using an articulated system (similar to the camera flip, but it's used for the flash mount instead), instead of sideways like a lot of the other flash brackets do.

That way, I can quickly go from horizontal to vertical format when using bounce-flash type arrangements, with having to re-setup my bounce flash positioning. I'm currently using this setup with my 550EX, and either an STE2 or the off-camera-shoe-cord-2, depending on whether I need certain advanced functions in the 550EX that it doesn't support in wireless slave mode (2nd curtain, etc.)

Also, as an extra bonus, I can use my manfrotto tripod tilt-and-pan-head's original quick-release plate with this bracket, instead of having to buy into the Stroboframe system of QR's (nice, but pricey), because most of their brackets have the matching QR plate already built-in to the bottom of their brackets.

The VH2000 is perhaps more bulky than something like the Pro-T (especially in use), but I found that it also collapses to a shape that actually makes it easier for me to stow it in my camera bag, unlike the Pro-T or Press-T, which I found I couldn't figure out how to pack in my bag, no matter what I did.

Also, the VH2000 comes standard with a 35mm AT plate, which fit my 300D without the grip, and might work OK with your 10D. I picked up an additional plate that works with my grip.

I know that you asked for a solution that rotates the camera, but I'm not aware of any that properly takes the existence of a vertical grip into account. The rotation would have to move the camera towards the right (when viewed from the back) when you rotate the camera to vertical, to keep the flash centered over the lens. Alternately, you might be required to slide the flash back and forth along a horizontal bar, with some sort of quick-release flash mount. I guess I found that having to flip my tripod head over on its side was less of a bother, although it will require you to re-frame.

It was certainly useful to take my bag and equipment to the local store, and actually try the stuff out. I might have paid a bit more over-the-counter, instead of mail order, but it was worth it to me to be able to assemble a system on the spot, and actually try it out, to make sure there were no interference problems. For instance, the VH2000 has a tripod bolt on the bottom that sticks down behind your tripod QR plate. Depending on the tripod head you use, it might interfere with your tripod's QR lever, so check everything out thoroughly for fit and function before you buy.

Good luck.

Thank you for the input. I looked at the newton, stroboframe, and a few other websites, and I think I am going to end up going with the Stroboframe like you suggested. I have to fiqure out P.N.'s and such and also find pricing for the Newton bracket before I decide.

Shane

I've been using a Stroboframe Press-T, with the standard antitwist plate and flash mount (stops the flash from twisting). Similar to what Maureen has in her pic.

When I use in the camera portrait orientation I sometime mount a L-bracket (elbow bracket) to the bottom of the flash bracket, so that I can keep the tripod head vertical and not twisted 90 degrees. This keep the weight over the centre of the tripod and stops the camera from drifting down from all the weight. Is much nicer to use but you need a sturdy tripod as it all gets a bit heavy.

If you do a search on www.bhphotovideo.com for "elbow bracket" the picture will explain it a bit better.

Ray...

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for your input. I looked at the Stroboframe equipment that you suggested and it looks like it works very well. I ended up getting a Custom Bracket after attending a wedding where I saw one in action. The photographer had the same camera that I have and it waw very quick and easy to use both on and off a tripod. Granted it has some heft to it compared to the stroboframe, but I really liked the quality machining and the fit and finish. The otherr thing that I liked was that it was very comfortable to hand-hold and I think would work better on my ball-head tripod. Again thank you.