Q': Italy on two bodies and three or four lenses.

jorge

The producer of the products I sell is giving me a paid trip to Rome

to attend a convention, starting three weeks from now. After that

I'm going on my own towards Sienna, Assissi, Florence and Venice.

Since I'm lying Lufthansa to Frankfurt, I'll be spending a couple of

days there at the end of the trip and hopefully visit Leica at Solms

with my good friend Carsten Bockermann. Since I haven't been to

Italy since 1972, I want to ask:

a) Photogenic places not to be missed. I anticipate that street

photo ops will be everywhere so I won't ask that.

b) What to carry. My plans are for two M bodies, loaded with B&W and

color negative film. My viable lens array includes: CV Ultra-Wide

Heliar 15/4, CV Color-Skopar 21/4, Summicron-M 35, Summicron-M 50,

CV Nokton 50/1.5, CV Color-Heliar 75/2.5.

Now, while I'm leaning towards the 21, 35, 'cron 50 and -possibly-

the 75, my doubts are:

Do I really need the 75 for some landscape work and is the 21 wide

enough or do I substitute it for the 15? I used the 15 in Germany

and Russia in 2000 but it's a difficult lens to use effectively.

Should I leave the 50 and jump from 35 to 75 although I'm presently

shooting 90% of my frames with a 50? Do I need the Nokton's extra

stop even tho I prefer the 'cron for its size and rendition?

Will I need a small light tripod for interiors?

Should I shoot only color negative and convert to B&W digitally?

Being a darkroom dweller of 35 years, I shudder at the thought but

this would allow me to carry one camera fitted with a wide, say the

21 and the other with a 50. Did that four years ago in another trip

and was not happy tho... None of the frames has been yet converted

to B&W.

To complicate things, I'd like to travel as light as possible. So

just one camera and two lenses is not out of the question. Thanks

for any feedback.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Douglas,

I'm seriously considering one body and the 35. However, I balk at the one film. There are some shots that require color, even if they're just a few.

Sanford,

Digital is not an option. I wan to be able to do street photography. My digital, a Minolta 7i, has a horrible shutter lag.

there are some interior shots that a 15 would be nice for (many of the old churches and buildings are small), but if you are not comfortable with it, stick with the 21, it should suffice for mostly all. I would perosnally not hassle both, and the 21 is nice.

Unless you have a car and can throw the tripod in it for occasional use, I would not take the tripod. Maybe a little tabletop tripod (or tripod-against-chest, in my use). A monopod might be with you more, but even so???

Take the 75, it is small enough compared to 2 bodies. Put the 35 on 1 body, the 50 on the other, carry the 21 and 75. For landscapes, the 75 might not add a whole lot to a 50 (some), but small streets, isolating subjects within town, shooting street scenes, take the 75.

I did the same some years back. I would not try changing lenses fanatically for the same shots color and b&W, and you might even leave the 50 as the default on the one, the 35 on the other. Switch for a purpose.

Rene, that's precisely what I usually do around here. I might stuff the 21 and even the 75 in my pants pockets. A small satchel bag to carry all when traveling. The great advantage of all my lenses, except for the Nokton is their tiny size and weight.

Grady, Lacey,

You posted while I was replying to Rene...

While I can do with just a body and a lens, I would probably regret not carrying a more versatile set. OTOH, the bulk of my shooting will probably be done that way. The rest is my security blanket.

Lacey,

My feelings precisely towards the 75. Not a big gun but enough to isolate a bit and the size is almost that of a 50.

I can handhold reasonably down to 1/4" by leaning onto something, specially while shooting a wide. The tripod would be for some night shooting but then I don't think I will be going into any dark alleys so I might as well leave it home. OTOH, it's a very compact Velbon 343E that can be easily thrown into my luggage and just pick it when I feel I will need it... Nah, you're probably right, it will just be dead weight.

I went to Italy a few years ago with one body and two lenses. I came back with one of <a href="http://www.spirer.com/images/brella.jpg">my all-time favorite shots.</a> I don't think it's that difficult to look for what fits the focal lengths you have as opposed to trying to cover a bunch of focal lengths. I always take a tripod - I find it far more valuable than extra lenses, but I like to shoot at night.<p>

Regarding a) photogenic places, I was sorry to have only planned a few days in Sicily. It's untouristed and completely different than much of Italy, except for the language and a love of food. I had some wild experiences there, although none of them translated into photography.<p>

And I may be the odd man out, but I thought Sienna was way too crowded. There's so many other towns in Tuscany, you can find much more interesting places. Rented a home for a week in Sansepulcro, which has no tourist business but does have the same architecture and cultural life as Tuscany and Umbria, which it borders. It was great to spend a week in one place, meeting the people, and leaving town with a bunch of gifts from the locals.

No one can tell you what works best for you and your photography style, of course.

Since you ask, though...I travel with 2 M bodies, but load one with slow color neg (Fuji

Reala) and the other with fast color neg (Fujicolor Press 400 or 800). Outdoors, I use

the slow camera with a 28; indoors, I switch to the fast camera with 35 or 50. Not

sure how you travel, but I end up in alternately high and low light level situations, and

it's easier to switch cameras than to switch lenses.

Jeff, Timothy...

The tripod question is going to tear me till the last moment and I'll probably regret whatever decision I make <vbg>.

OTOH, the two camera/two lens approach is the one that makes the most sense. About loading just color, I've been browsing some travelogues and most of them seem to be done in color. There are places that specially demand it, like Venice. How do you capture those gorgeous reflections and early morning/evening light in B&W? OTOH, street photography requires B&W, otherwise images are way too crowded and distractive...

What fits my style? I really don't know. I tend to be chamaeleonic. The first leg of the trip, the Rome convention part will rob me of any decision powers. I'll be among a group and all visits will be guided. That's my main reason for wanting to shoot by night.

The second half, I plan to rent a car and drive at leisure. The only fixed part is that I'll fly from Venice to Frankfurt on June 3. I'm looking at San Gimignano. If you might only be able to fit one, what would it be San Gimignano or Sienna?

<i>street photography requires B&W</i><p>

I've seen plenty of great color street photography. I don't think it "requires" anything.<p>

Regarding the tripod, I just throw it in my carry-on and leave it in the room during the day. It can't be replaced by another body, since it has a completely different function.

So... I would take two bodies and two lenses.

The two lenses I would take would be the 21/4 and the 50 cron.

I'd load the 50 cron body with 400-speed B&W film for photo-j and interiors. I'd load the 21/4 body with Velvia 100F for landscapes and architecture in daylight.

This is roughly what I actually did on my photo holiday to Ireland, except that, in the absence of a 21/4 I used the CV 28/1.9.

jorge,

i would take everything you have. it is not that hard to take it on the trip over, and you don't have to carry all of it everywhere you go. if you don't use it all, no big deal. if you want it (e.g. the tripod) and don't have it, you will regret not having stuck it in your bags.

have fun. my wife just returned from a week in northern italy and had a great time.

I think it is easier to have 2 film speeds (like 100 and 800 as suggested) than 2 kinds (color and B&W). With 2 bodies: 21, 35, 50cron and 75. Then you can do without the Nokton and the tripod. With only one body : 21 and 50 Nokton (or the cron with a tripod).

That's considering your statement. But if it was me : one body, 21, 35, 75 and light tripod.

When traveling, I often bring only one M6 and a 35 Summicron. If I wanted a more extensive outfit, I would add the following equipment in the order listed: 50 Summicron, 21 Voigtlander, second M6 body, Leica small ball head and table top tripod, 75 Voigtlander.

I prefer for the entire outfit to fit into a small camera bag that is lightweight so I will not mind carrying it all day. I seldom wish I had more equipment, usually I wish I had brought less! I use only one type of film unless I am carrying a spare camera body. With an extra camera body, using high speed color or black and white film is a possibilty.

Jorge,

Siena (not Sienna) is quite close to San Gimignano, so you can do both. The problem is that San Gimignano is very crowded during the day; however, it´s very nice in the evenings after the buses have left.

As for lenses : I´d probably go with 21/35/75, but your style may be different. The 21 is great for church interiors; the 15 is a little extreme.

Carsten

Hey Carsten! I wondered how long would it take for you to catch this. You're an early riser. Hopefully you're not at work yet...

Thanks for correcting my spelling; you can guess Marcela wasn't looking over my shoulder or she would have corrected me in time. ;-) Do you know if photography inside churches is permitted? I read some message in the travel forum that mentioned it was vollständig verboten (completamente proibita?) in Assisi.

Leaving the 50 is OOTQ. My only indecision is between the Nokton or the 'cron. It's a heavy 1 stop.

Is the visit to Solms on?

Jorge,

I wrote the previous message right after getting up (I tend to get up early on Mondays since I have to drive 180km to Frankfurt).

In many churches photography is prohibited, but as I never used flash nobody really noticed.

The visit to Solms is not yet confirmed. They have (sort of) "outsourced" the visit business and I haven´t talked to the guy yet. I know him and he is excellent; let´s hope he´ll be free. I´ll keep you posted.

Carsten

I'd take the 15mm as well 'just in case'. It's so small you could loose it in the bag :-). Plus if you ignore the brightlines you can use the 21mm viewfinder if you do get to use it.

Fred Miranda has a new plugin for B&W conversion that works really well. Probably nothing that you couldn't do 'by hand', but a time saver.

Jorge, I agree w/Bob Blakley 100%. At least, that is what I would do. My advice is similar to others, stay out of the big tourist towns and go to the smaller places such as Montepulciano and Montalcino. Cortona is supposed to be nice, but due to the popularity of the Frances Mays book may have begun to get crowded. Vistas of and from San Gimingnano are super ripe for superior landscape shots with the 21.

Have a great time!

I'd leave the 15 at home. Take everything else.

That said, I agree with the writers above that you're taking a lot of stuff. Having

two bodies with five lenses almost guarantees that what ever (camera) you

pick up to take a picture will be the wrong combination lens/film. If you take

one film type you will increase your odds of not having to fumble around

changing lenses. If you're trying to keep it simple go with one film, 35 & 50.

Put the 21mm in you bag or pocket so you have it. If you insist on two films

then take both 50s since you have them. When I have to shoot two emulsions

I carry two 35mm's so I can have one on each body. I like the 35 and find it

works well to have both emulsions covered with 35mm lens.

Challenge yourself and go as light and simple as possible. The point is to

have fun and not be burdened down by a bunch of stuff. When you have fun

you take better photographs.