what lenses do you guys use for weddings? the most used lens?

from earthy

I use my 28-70 f2.8 for isle walks, general shooting before ceremoney and during reception.

During the actual ceremoney, I shoot with my 70-200 f/2.8. I couldtn' live without it. I was able to get a shot like the one attached from the VERY back of the ceremoney site where nobody could see me at all.

For my formals, I always shoot with my nikkor 50mm f/1.8<div>008jDr-18620584.jpg.fbc5200db964882a757288482c0ae8e6.jpg</div>

The standard two lenses needed by most wedding shooters has always been the normal(50mm),and slightly wideangle(35mm)or their equals in MF.The usefullness of these two lenses to a wedding shooter,shouldnt be understated!The 50mm is good for almost everything,except big groups,which is where the 35mm comes in.Now days the constant aperture short zooms (35-70)are the best single glass for weddings.Stopped down a few stops,these rival primes and their zooming ability makes life easier.I always carry at weddings the following 18mm,24mm,35mm,50mm,85mm,105mm and a 35-70 zoom.The only additional glass thats nice to have is a constant aperture long zoom(80-200) and even a fast 300mm has its place at times.Best advice:get a 35-70 zoom and a 35mm & a 50mm prime for back up.

mmmmmmm.are you using a digital camera or a regular film camera?

becuse of the crop factor(on digital)

but like the majority alredy said it.35 and 50 are the most used.

you should go trhought the pictures in the gallery then find out what focal leght was used so you can make your own conclussions.

Like Marc said - it often depends on the situation... However, I can honestly say that my favorite "results" photographically, are always from my 28-70 2.8 and my 70-200 2.8 IS. Top on my list is the 70-200 and I use it whenever possible. Love that perspective - Love that DOF to soften the background. Also find it to be the most flattering to subjects! Just my two cents.

Mary,

I agree completely. I am always amaized at what kind of shots I get with my 70-200 f/2.8. (sigma EX HSM). 50/2.8, 28-70/2.8, and my 70-200/2.8 are all I need.

However, one time I needed to bust out the 14mm for a 100 person photograph once. That was a challenge :)

It is all about the situation. If it's an outdoor wedding with lots of deep shade, I might be inclined to use my 50mm Nikkor f1.4 a bit more often. I use that lens for the formals as it is because of its clarity and speed. I find that it's a rare situation where I can't back up a bit for a larger group. If necessary, I can always pull out my 28-80 zoom. This touches on something someone else said about changing lenses causing you to miss shots. Two things. One is that you can't have that attitude, worrying about missed shots. Obviously, you have to be reasonable, and changing lenses every 3 minutes would be silly, but honestly, does anyone here think it is possible to get every single great shot there is to get at a wedding? You miss hundreds of them simply because there's only one of you and you can't be everywhere at once. This (the second thing) is where zoom lenses come into the picture to help you get the maximum quantity of good shots. After the formals, I always have either the 28-80 zoom or my 80-300 zoom, both of which are a bit slower than my trusty 50mm, but more than make up for that with their versatility.

Practicing with your equipment, knowing where everything is in your bags, etc. can make any sense of lost shots minimal. For myself, after the formals are over, I can't imagine trying to shoot candids with a fixed focal length lens. I constantly change the focal length to get the precise shots I want. It is an invaluable tool and it frankly baffles me that anyone would ever disagree. Also, the longer zoom allows me to capture truly candid moments, where the subjects are totally unaware of my presence. This produces great shots.

Jeff, of course you're right. I just meant that back in the olden days, many wedding photographers used Rolleis (no interchangeable lens) for the whole wedding and got great pictures--and so do you. Today, one can choose what complement of lenses to put in one's bag. Which ones depends on each individual photographer's "eye". Notice that some respondants use the 50mm the most, others the 35mm--still others like the 85mm or telephoto.

Since I didn't really answer From Earth's question--35mm or wide angles for the bride's preparation with judicious use of the 85mm or telephoto for details. Full lengths and formals, the 50mm normal. Half lengths and portraits, the 85mm or longer. Procession, the 50mm. Shots from the back of the church--the longest lens you own plus wide angles for a few. Reception--35mm with some use of the 50 and longer lenses for dancing close-ups. Zooms are convenient but not as fast as primes, usually. Whether you use primes or zooms is again, a personal choice.

• 4 weeks later...

I only use 4 lens on my Nikon for weddings

70-200mm 2.8 (VR)

17-35mm 2.8 -- or 12-24mm if I'm shooting digital

85mm 1.4 (for indoor natural light shots)

50mm 1.8 (for indoor and group shots)

I carry 2 bodies with me at all times. When I'm shooting outdoors, I have on the 70-200 and 17-35 (or 12-24). Indoors, I have the 85mm 1.4 and 17.35mm 2.8. I switch to the 50mm only for portraits.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...