Linhof Technika s/h purchase

anthony_harrison

Linhof buffs, you can save me some time if you'd be so kind. I've been

offered an old used 6x9 Linhof by a dealer (this morning) for 495 UKP

(700 USD). He says it's a Super Technika 4 - it has beige coloured

leatherette, CRF, a Schneider 105 that's convertible to a 185, cut

film back and RF back, front & rear tilts. Seems in fair condition for

its age. If it's a 4 as advertised, I believe I can use current Linhof

lens boards. What's the widest I can go? Really need 65mm at least.

How do I positively identify this beast? Is it a good buy? What do I

look out for...? etc... Thanks, Tony H

Anthony

I have a 6x9 Linhof III From an article I read in a British Photography Magazine ("People in Camera" Jan 1994 "The Baby Linhof") you can tell by the way the back attaches. My III has four (quote)"finger nail breaking slides" which hold the back on while the IV has a lever. The "Super" refers to the fact that it has a coupled rangefinder (check that the number on the cam is the same as the lens number - however, the cam might have been custom made to replace a lost one)There is a 53mm Biogon lens available but this will cost the earth. The usual w.a. is 65mm

The magazine I mentioned quoted (in 1994) 5OO- 1200 Pounds for a three lens kit according to condition - don't know if that helps. Linhof & Professional Ltd, London, can repair/overhaul/cut new cams - or at least in 1994 they did!

Please e-mail me if I can be of any further use (Rayosm@hotmail.com)

Regards,

Ray (Canberra, Australia)

Thanks Bob & Ray. I'll ask for the serial number, though from what Ray says it must be a ST4, since the back is retained by a single lever situated towards top right of the body when viewed from the rear. Glad to hear it will take a 65mm - will it take anything wider e.g. a 58 or 55? And am I right in thinking current Linhof boards will fit? I dare say the old Schneider fitted is good, but I'd want to use current Schneider or Rodenstock WA lenses. It comes with a RF back, but I'd want extra 6x9 backs, so will anything described as "Super Rollex" fit this camera - and current Polaroid backs too? And a reflex finder?

Yes, I know Linhof & Studio in London (UK agents for Linhof) are good people, dealt with them before, but the beauty of forums such as this is getting impartial advice from actual users.

What I want is to outfit myself not too expensively with a view camera that's capable of pro performance, to see how it works for interiors & architecture, then if things work out I might eventually equip myself with a new Linhof or Arca. This old ST4 seems promising - or should I get myself something newer for the same money, like a Toyo, Horseman etc? All opinions welcome - and thanks again. Tony H

If you're looking for something to use for interiors and architecture, you'll be limited by the STIII or 4. Wide angle lenses just don't get much movement capability, since the lens is "inside" or close to inside the box. I believe the latest version of the baby technika gets around this limitation by cutting a hinged flap into the top of the box. This allows more front rise with short focal length lenses, but I imagine it's still somewhat bellows constricted. Also, the 65mm Angulon, is, pure and simple, and older design. It's not very sharp wide open, but does sharpen up when stopped down to f16-32. If you want a fast wide lens, I'd look to a more modern design. In addition, I don't believe that Linhof supports these cameras any longer in the sense that they will not cut new cams for lenses for you. If you want to use it handheld, you will need a new cam if you buy new lenses for it. The only way around this is to find someone willing to do it, or buy a ST5 or 5b (with the flap).

Of course, the other alternative is to take a look at the Horseman cameras. You should read up on them through this forum.

Or a Linhof Technikardan 23S which will have the most

movement or a Wista with the 69 backs.

The Technikardan 23S uses lenses as short as the 35mm 4.5

Apo Grandagon and from 65mm up it uses a flat board. The

boards are interchangeable with the 45 TK, the Master Technika

and all Wistas.

From your description it should be a Tech IV. The camera can take lens from 47mm to 300mm(Tele). I had used my 47 Super Anglon with my camera for hundred of times either for landscape or tabletop and nothing confuse me. For my experience the Sch-Anglon is not as sharp as the Supper one, especially when you open wide. The Super Rollfilm Back is using a level wind to advance the film and the Un-super one use a knob. Price in the States goes around $350 -$600 for Super type used one. The model IV will not take the current lens board and the best way is make them by yourself (2mm thick board).