Proper use of Linhof Wide Angle Focusing Device

j._mose

I recently purchased a Linhof Wide Angle Focusing Device for use with

my 58mm Super Angulon SL on my Technika. According to the owners

manual, focusing for infinity is accomplished by moving the lens

standard on the body track back and forth. Fine focusing is then

accomplished by turning the focusing button on the focusing device

(which has it's own set of bellows). This all makes sense!!!

However, the lens standard has some play in it which allows for some

left/right swing motion (in other words....the lens standard does not

stay parallel with the film plane). Other than using a laser

alignment device, is there a special tool or device for keeping the

lens standard aligned to the film plane? I can push the lens

standard all the way back into the body, but then the bellows on the

focusing device must be rack almost the entire way forward! Please

advise...thanks in advance.

Do you mean the standard has some play on the rails or that the normal swing adjustments are loose.

If the standard has too much play on the rails, ie it can be moved when you are not pushing the two black levers at the front together; this can be corrected by adjusting the eccentric shaped nut below the front standard in the centre for more grip.

If there is play in the front standard swing adjustment, it may need a good clean out. This involves carefully removing the belows from the front standard so you can take it apart (the screws are on the inside - the metal plate should stay with the bellows). It is not particularly complicated to take apart and reassemble and certainly can build up some gunk inside.

Matt

Thanks for your input Matthew. The lens standard is not loose in any way when everything is secured. I am referring to some slight play as the standard is being pulled out (with both black levers being depressed the standard has some wiggle room which would shift alignment). I know that the effect is minor but I do want assurance that the lens and film planes are completely parallel to each other. After all, this is precision equipment.

Maybe I should have used your method of adjusting with the rear bellows and saved myself a few hundred dollars!!!

JP Mose

The rear method will never be as precise as what you are doing because you cannot move in and out of focus whilst watching with a loupe for checking. Using the camera back, also requires checking for parallel orientation to the film plane.

What you could do is very carefully make some marks as 'infinity stops' on the inside rails that are as perfectly parallel to the film plane as you could get them, focussing on the horizon etc (or choose to make them just 'behind' infinity so you can focus into infinity). This would solve two problems as you could pull out the standard onto the marks with the confidence that the marks are parallel to the film plane and also not have to check where infinity is.

Matt

<i>"A slight play ... when both black levers are depressed"</i>

As soon as you'll stop depressing the levers, the standard will be again automatically set parallel to the film plane, due to the pressure of the levers on the rail.<p>

I have a Master Technika and I currently use the SA 5.6/58 XL with the W.A.F.D. I have never seen a swing motion of the standard.<br>

This probably means that your camera needs some repair, as these levers must never have the smallest play.<br>

What is the model of your Technika, and did you bought it new or used ?<br>

Hi Matt and Jean-Louis,

The camera is a 1975 Super Technika V which appears and seems to function as brand new. I purchased it from a US General who bought the outfit new in Germany. He showed me photos of him with the camera when new. He claims to have used it very little...it basically sat in his closet for 25 years. I did look at the camera and standard does appear to spring back to parallel as Jean-Louis described (I checked it with my Laser Alignment tool). The swinging movement I described is very very slight but is there! Perhaps an adjustment is in order but as long as it pops back to parallel, I'm not worried.

Matt...good idea about marking the bed. even if I don't have to worry about the parallel alignment after all, this will provide a quick starting point for focusing.

Thanks,

JP