July to the end of August 2004. One of the places I want to

photograph is Denali, but I don't understand how the system there

works. Everywhere else I've visited has been in a rented car, and I

drive wherever and whenever in the park I want. But I'm reading that

private cars are not allowed in Denali, and you are limited to tour

buses or shuttle buses. How do you get from one location or trail

head to another? Is it difficult to haul long glass and tripods on

these shuttle buses? Is there a timed schedule? Is there a web

resource with all these details? Thanks for any help!

Yes, the shuttle bus is the way to get around inside the park. The buses run about every half hour. Once you're on the bus and inside the park you can tell the bus driver to stop and you can get out anywhere along the way you want to. When your done hiking or shooting or taking a nap, etc., you walk back to the road and flag down the next bus that comes along. As long as it isn't completely full, hop aboard.

<P>

You can download the shuttle bus reservation form here: <A HREF="http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/bus/04reservationform.pdf">http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/bus/04reservationform.pdf</A>

<P>

It will be daylight all the time so try to get on the first bus of the day, the wildlife are usually most active then.

<P>

Long glass isn't a problem on the bus, I shot with a 300/2.8 and wished I had longer. The tripod will be useless inside the bus, but you can store it overhead until you get off to go hiking. The best advice I can give is to take another person along and take seats across from each other. Hopefully if the bus isn't too full you'll be able to shoot from either side of the bus if you can hold those two seats, the back of the bus is sometimes easier to secure seats across from each other.

<P>

Oh yeah, buy one of those "Bucky" travel pillows at the airport. You can hang it over the bus window and it gives you a great stable platform for shooting on, and it stays in place.

<P>

If you have any other questions, email me. I've gone up there to shoot several times.

Thanks, Jason. If you can get on any bus that comes by, why do you need to fill out a reservation form? Also, I take it from your suggestions that the shuttle bus will stop to allow photos from the bus whenever wildlife is spotted near the road? Do you have to stay in the bus? Does each shuttle go all the way to Kantishna and then make the return trip, or are the shuttles going to a specific location and then back? Also need recommendations for place to stay for a family of 4, cabins not camping. I'll be going for about 9 or 10 days, so I'm trying to combine Denali with possibly Katmai and Kenai. Any suggestions on logistics for that kind of trip would be great. Thanks again!

The shuttle bus drivers won't let you get off anywhere near the wildlife, not even for a second to shoot from the ground. They will take you one mile away and you could then get off the shuttle and hike back. Just cross your fingers that the wildlife subject is still there by the time you hike back.

You need a reservation because the shuttles are jam packed most of the time. This is the case even with the 5:30 AM shuttle, which is the first one to leave the visitor's center.

As Ligia said, the reservation form is required because most of the buses are full when they leave the visitors center. But people do get off along the way, which creates openings.

<P>

Not all the buses go to Kantishna, unless you're planning on spending the night inside the park at the Kanti$hna Road Hou$e (according to thier website $335/per person per-night, minimum 2 night stay), then Wonder Lake is as far as you'll probably want to go, and that's an 11 hour round trip. Since you're traveling with your family, Eilson Visitor center is a good full day round trip (especially if you get off the bus to hike around some).

<P>

Whenever wildlife is spotted, the bus driver will stop the bus and turn off the engine. This is so the animals won't run off (they don't pay much attention to the buses anyway), and that's nice for photographers because vibration from the engine doesn't affect your shots, although people jockeying for a better viewing position might aggravate you.

<P>

There are several places to stay right outside the park entrance. (Beware of anything with "Roadhouse" in the name that's along the highway....trust me on this one). Some of the the lodging can be located here:<A HREF="http://www.alaskatravelguide.com/alaska_lodging/denali_national_park_lodging_lodges.html">http://www.alaskatravelguide.com/alaska_lodging/denali_national_park_lodging_lodges.html</A>. Healy is the town right outside the park, find a map to see how far away the others are.<BR>

You should really think about making lodging reservations as soon as possible, that will be a busy time at the park.

<P>

Speaking of logistics, if you have a choice, it's a much shorter drive to the park from Fairbanks than from Anchorage. It's a pretty drive from either city, but with kids in the car.....

<P>

I've never been to Katmai, so I can't help you there. The Kenai peninsula is beautiful. Weekends in the summer can be crazy, it seems all of Anchorage goes to the Kenai for the weekends, so if you can plan to be there mid-week, you'll find lodging easier the the roads not so jammed.

I spent a few days at Katmai last year mid July when the salmon were running. A LOT of bears. Some of the best days of my life. Go there if possible, it is an expensive short flight from Anchorage.

I had come from a week at Wonder Lake. Both places are wonderful in their own way.

BTW there is not a problem with big glass & tripods on the Denali buses. Just keep the camera mounted lens in your photo backpack & be prepared to dismount from the bus for wildlife. On road walking... I did this many times & once was greeted by a grizzly on the road within 100 yds. As others said, the bus will leave you off somewhere down the road from the wildlife. I believe it was always within 1/2 mile for me.

Just to add a tip: It's easier to ride the bus out all the way to your final destination, and use

that time to scout locations. On the way back, hop on and off, at different places to get

your shots. The buses on the way out are often full - it's much easier to hop on and off on

the way back. I'd also recommend taking the earliest bus possible, as the chances of

seeing wildlife are greater.

What I did last time I was in Denali, was take a bus out to Eielson on the first day. I got the

early morning bus. I rode the bus all the way out without getting off, and spent some time

shooting at the Eielson visitor center (the mountain was out). On the way back, I jumped

out at points I had identified on the way in, and just flagged down a bus headed back

when I was done.

If you do have a car, you can drive the road in a little way. If you're in Denali at the end of

August, you'll be there during the moose rut, and there are sections of the road that you

can drive on that are excellent for moose spotting.