A Russian in Prague

paulh

Hi, <P>

<A HREF=http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=391727><B>Iskra Photos</B></A><P>

Here's three shots of the first roll through my recently acquired Iskra (I). Metered with a little Leningrad 4, film was some kodak 160VC. The scans are not brilliant I'm afraid as my scanner's a bit mucky. This was my first time with a 6x6, and a nice experience it was too. <P>

Focus and shutter seem accurate, and the camera is in excellent working condition, with case, hood and (Russian) manual. It's easy to use, with shutter lock and auto-magic wind-on (I quite like the interlocking aperture/shutter speed). Frame spacing is spot on too.<P>

It's a fairly substantial beast, and feels like it could make quite an effective defensive weapon :-) !!<div>0081ov-17644284.jpg.16530d94e5a69c6e9ff5bb0ec745c575.jpg</div>

Interesting photo. When I first saw it, I said, "Holy crap! That lens really distorted that building!"

I'm glad to see that you used a small Soviet meter to make the experience as authentic as possible.

I really like the design of the camera. Somewhat original -- sort of a cross between a Vito III, a Super Ikonta III and an Agfa Isolette (the body covering).

I think that has one of those "velky" or large tripod threadings on the bottom - you can get an adaptor in the used department at Skoda. Then you can set up the camera and make longer exposures. The shutters in the Russian folders are really pretty accurate, so this might be something to try eventually.

Yes, the tripod thread is somewhat larger than usual. Must get an adapter, but first I should test out that my lightweight tripod will cope... :-)

I've also had a quick look for some filters, but 32mm is not the most common size it seems. Still, I can order them from one of the better shops here in Amsterdam.

Hi, P. C. Hoofdstraat :-)

I have an Iskra and I live in amsterdam too. I think you will find that the filter size is M33x0,5.

I managed to get a M33 > M49 heliopan adaptor from foto Nivo Swartz on the haarlemmerstraat but he warned me that it was probably the last.

I got it for my Mocba 2 but it fits the Iscra too, see http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/mediumformatcameras/foldingcameras/index.htm

I hope this helps.

Julian.