(LowePro Orion Mini) WaistPack Color Choice

david_s4

I'm about to pick up a LowePro <a

href="http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/trekking/ormini.htm">Orion

Mini</a> waistpack for hiking as well as occasional around town use.

It comes in black or a selection of pretty but bright colors. Any

advice on whether black is better, because it draws less attention, or

a color (say, red) is better because it won't get as hot in the sun?

Trivial choice I know, but whatever...

I use an Orion (not the mini) for general all-around use, I have given it quite enough roughing and it has withstood perfectly. I'm really happy with this pack.<br>

This only comes in green, so I really didn't have a choice, but as for attention, all photo-gear draws attention and I do not think colour choice will make much of a difference, better trust your safe-keeping and not the colour; the other factor you mentioned I have never considered (again, I didn't have a choice, but I think with the closed cell foam these packs are lined heat/cold is pretty much blocked out (or at least slowed). So my suggestion would be, buy the colour you like the most.

Agreed. It's gonna be fairly obvious it's camera equipment anyway and the blackbody radiation effect won't make that much difference from my offhand experiments. Go with whatever color makes you happy and don't worry. My only complaint on black bags is they tend to be a serious magnet for cat and dog hair (which always seems to be white).

If you hike well used trails it makes little or no difference what colors you use, but if you hike back country, away from the trails, red, bright blue and yellow are always a help in the event of an emergency involving aerial search or rescue. No one likes to anticipate such possibilities but when they happen green, black, & camo are not what will be easily spotted from the air.

Just be thankful you aren't a Leica user, or you'd need to agonize over the color (silver chrome, black chrome, black paint, titanium plate, gray hammertone)of your camera and lenses in addition to your bag.