Travel Tripod (for Backpacking Western Europe)

bdthomas

I'm planning a backpacking trip across western Europe in about a month. I'm looking

for a portable tripod that will not be too big to take on public transportation, but

sturdy enough to hold an Elan II, with 50mm f1.4 and 24mm f2.8 primes. Also in the

future, I would like the possibility of it supporting a 70-200 (f4/2.8/IS), but this isn't

a necessity. This tripod will be primarly used for travel (not as a rock-solid home

unit).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like it spend no more than $60. Is

this feasible? I have looked at the "Sunpak FieldMaster Tripod with Ball Head and 3-

Way Pan/Tilt Head (with Quick Release)" (from BH Photo, for $49.00). Is this a

reasonable quality, or am I asking for too much?

At the moment, I'm living in the UK, so please feel free to recommend products

available either in the US or UK.

Cheers,

Ben

I'm currently loving the Slik Sprint Pro. Easily the most versatily lightweight tripod available for under $100. It's compacts nicely, yet still manages to reach my standing eye level (and I'm 6') when fully extended (with center column). The Velbon Maxi series are similar, though less versatile and priced about the same anyway.

It's marketed as a 'digital' tripod for digicams, but holds my D70 with a 70-300mm lens without a fuss (though I rarely leave it unattended on the tripod. I'm pushing it's capacity, but but I do what I have to when I need to travel light). The tripod straps nicely to my LowePro Micro Trekker 200, and comes with a carrying case as well.

Here's some info: http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss2.html

Manfrotto has a new line of compact 'digital' tripods out as well that are priced in and around $100.

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=303

By no means are these tripods the ideal professional solution, but they do the job.

Don't forget to consider a good monopod also, along with a Bogen/Manfrotto 3229 QR Swivel Tilt or 3232 Swivel Tilt monopod heads. I'm in the process of trying out monopod use myself, in leiu of a full tripod/ball head. You're using primes and a monopod will get you an extra two stops at least.

You can get a Bogen 3001 on ebay for $45-$70, usually without a head, though. That's

probably the sturdiest tripod you can find for the price.

But if you're backpacking and can make do with a monopod, that might be the lightest,

most convenient choice.

Tripods are a royal pain on public transportation. Very difficult to stow in overhead compartments, stuff under seats, and squeeze through the narrow isles of a train with all the rest of your gear.

Re-think bringing one or be satisfied with a bean-bag or very small table-top tripod. Ingenuity of steadying your camera on fence posts, railings, park benches, table tops, or mail boxes is more in tune with the traveling-light philosophy of a backpacker.

With your camera and the 50 and 24mm lenses, concentrate on the shots you can get and forget about the ones you cannot.

Just my opinion.

Consider just using a beanbag. There's nearly always something stationary you can

mash the bag against to steady your camera--a chair, lamppost, wall, etc. If you

make or purchase a zippered bag, you can fill with whatever is at hand in a local shop

(dry grain, beans, etc.), and dump it out whenever you want to lighten your load.

IMHO, a beanbag is much more versatile, easy to transport, and stable than a cheap

tripod. You can find natural materials that are very good at damping vibration and

steadying your camera, such as dry linseed. Much faster to use than setting up a

tripod, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished backpacking for four months in Africa and brought

a slick sprint digital, about $69 CDN and it is light and compact,

however it does sag with my 75-300 IS lens, can be frustrating

trying to frame things. They are a pain to carry around and if you

have IS you wont need it in most well lit situations. If you are

going into a lot of poorly churches, museeums, tombs, etc. you may

want it, but you may not be allowed to photograph anyway. Westminster Abbey for example. If you have a 70-200 2.8 IS lens I doubt you will need the tripod.

When you are about to go out and tour around and then you look at that tripod you will keep asking yourself over and over again "do i really want to / need to lug that thing around?" Grant it there are some situations where you will want one but you can usually use a bean bag. And when those times do occur I bet you half the time you didn't bring it out anyway, you just left it in your hotel/hostel.

I used mine sparingly and would probably not bring it on my next trip.

Derek