What Performs Better Minolta Multi Pro v Scan Elite 5400 mk1

both are excellent....

I own a 5400 mk1 and I can tell you that B&W, negs and slide are outstanding.

I can warn you on the following things (on the 5400 mk1) :

1. profiling this machine is not simple (but is the same for all scanners I suppose) -

2. Depth of Field is really narrow .... So if you want slides in focus from edge to edge you should go with a NIKON or maybe the Multipro.

That is the reason why I develop my sildes in strips !

hope this will help

Gilles

Sorry, I didnt' make myself clear. I already have the Multi Pro - I was just wondering if 5440 v 4800 really gives anything extra. I am also sure that there are other factors to consider. I would not sell my Multi Pro, I am just wondering if the 2 scanners will actually benefit me.

"I was just wondering if 5440 v 4800 really gives anything extra."

The following comments are from a 5400 owner, who knows nothing about the Multi Pro.

Cons about scanning at 5400dpi:

- scan file sizes are much bigger.

- scan time is much longer.

Pros about scanning at 5400dpi:

- you can make bigger prints at ~300ppi without having to interpolate. For example, open a 5400dpi scan of a mounted 35mm slide in PS. In the Image/Image Size window, the pixel counts are 4800x7200. Turn off Resample, and change Resolution to 300ppi. The Document Size (i.e. print size at 300ppi) is 16"x24".

- you can crop significantly from a scan and still make SuperB size prints at ~300ppi without having to interpolate. Using the above scan file as an example. Crop the 4800x7200 pixels file down to 4000x6000 pixels. In the Image Size window, turn off Resample, and change Resolution to 300ppi. The Document Size (i.e. print size at 300ppi) is 13"x19".

You can't do either of these with a 4000dpi scan. If Minolta's marketing department were able to make this point clear, they might be able to stay in the photo business. <g>