How adjustable is the LowePro Photo Trekker AW II?

robert_hurd

Could users of the LowePro "Photo Trekker AW II" help me with two

questions...

1. Hip Strap Question - Can the "Photo Trekker AW II" shoulder

harness and hip pads REALLY be adjusted enough to put the pack weight

on the hips? If so, is the pack then too low to be comfortable?

(I'm 6'2" and am planning a 4x5 field kit to carry for 1 to 3 mile

hikes.)

2. Airline Carry-On Question - With current stringent airline

regulations, might I encounter problems carrying the "Photo Trekker

AW II" on Domestic (US) or International flights? (Southwest

Airlines, for example, seems to have smaller carry-on limits.)

(Weight Comment - I agree that this pack is way too heavy, but I want

the ample equipment padding. I have a real backpack for longer

hikes, but it is too large as a carry-on.)

Thank you in advance!

I have this pack and use it for carrying a my tachihara, and other accesories, for me it works great. I think the longest I've carried it was about 2 miles, and it was comfortable over that distance. I've found it to be pretty adjustable, the harness adjustment is kinda neat, you slip a plastic thing behind the harness and padding which releases velcro, then you can move the harness up and down quit a bit, and when the plastic comes out the harness is secure. I haven't had a problem resting the weight on my hips comfortably, but your a good deal taller than I am (I'm 5' 9"). If it's at all possible, it'd probably be best if you could see one in a showroom, even if that's not were you buy from. It's worked well for me as a carryon luggage so far, I flew with it around christmass of this year, LAX to Maine and back, and the only issue I ran into was the regional jet from Philidalpia to Portland didn't have enough room in the overhead, and I had to leave at the gate when I boarded, and I collected it when I got off with no problems either way. I was flying United, that's the only time I've flown with it. I packed the tripod on my checked bag, were it was easily accesable if the bag was searched, and bought my film in Maine, and shipped it home and let the x-ray the bag to their hearts' content. Hope that helps :o)

Peter

I recommend trying one on in the showroom, and weighting it! Guestimate what your camera setup weighs, and try to fill the pack with something of a similar weight so you can really feel how it will sit on your hips and shoulders. I don't know about camera stores, but some outdoor stoors keep weighted blocks handy precisely for this purpose.

Happy shopping!

The Photo Trekker is the largest LowePro backpack that will meet most domestic carry-on size limitations. There are also weight limits that airlines don't seem to enforce here, but strictly in Europe. I suggest you remove the tripod cup (and perhaps the straps too) to avoid going over the size limit.

Don't tuck the shoulder straps away! That bulks up the bag, making it look larger. You can carry it as a shoulder bag by one of the straps through the airport fairly comfortably.

The Photo Trekker does not have an internal frame. The hip pad is simply formed into the padding, rather than an adjustable strap in a real backpack. The shoulder and waist straps are well-formed and highly adjustable, and should fit you with little trouble.

The bag alone is fairly light: about 6 pounds. With an Hasselblad, Nikon D1x, three lenses each, film and accessories, mine tips the scale at 26 pounds.

The padding is good enough to protect your gear if you are obliged to check it. You can reasonably expect that won't be necessary.

Robert, I am 6'2" 225 lbs and use the same pack as you listed. I find it is quite heavy, but carries my TOYO 45AII with 4 lenses and lots of accessorries quite comfortably and adjusts to my torso as good as any high-end backpack. I agree that the max distance (for me anyway) is about 2 miles in and out. I like the ability to use the rollers and telescopic handle whenever I don't need to carry it on my back. I use a "modular" system of separate lens cases from "Gnass Gear" that allows me to hike in with the lenses I will probably only use and therefore reduce the weight of the pack considerably. Also, I use a smaller and lighter {true technical backpack}for any hiking over 2-3 miles in and out. You know I remember the days when backpacking with 50-60 lbs on your back was the "norm". Now everyone is spoiled with hi-tech ultralight equiptment. I wonder how much weight Ansel Adams carried? I recommend this pack based on its quality,utility, and fit. Have fun and don't hurt your back.

I don't know how useful my experience will be to you, but i don't think you can have too many opinions, so here it is.

i just replaced my lowepropack super trekker aw with a dana designs new world. the super trekker is extremely heave and bulky, not to mention has a terrible suspension system - at least for someone with my body type. my torso length is 21" and my waist is 32"; i could never manage to get the super trekker to ride comfortable on my hips.

the dana pack is considered a 'day-and-a-half pack, or large daypack, but comes with suspension usually reserved for there extended trip bags. loaded with my technika 4x5 outfit it will just make it as a carry-on. what's best is due to the improved suspension, it feels sooo much lighter than the lowepropack bag, though i'm hauling the same load.

loewpropack make some really great camera bags, however, their backpacks can't match a good backpackers pack from the likes of dana designs, osprey, dueter, etc.

scott

I too have a Lowepro photo trekker. Traveling is about the only use it still sees. In the last year I've flown with it four times. Always as a carryon, and never a problem. Indeed, my only problem has been convincing the security guys that readyloads were really film.

Coming from a mountaineering background, the suspensions on photo backpacks are awful. With the available technology, and the weight that photographers carry, we really should have better packs. Besides, my total kit now weighs slightly over 10 pounds without film. It seems silly to put all that into a 7 pound backpack.

Good luck with whatever you get.