Point & Shoot Cameras

ed_tobin

I am curious what others do or would do in this situation.

I travel on average every other week somewhere in the US or Europe. Given all of the

security checks at the airport I know pack as light as possible, the bare minimum.

Photography is only a hobby therefore I often leave my camera a home because even

in a small bag it would be the third bag, suitcase, briefcase and it cases more delays

and time at the airport if you have to check and pickup luggage.

So I am thinking that I could fix my 10d with a 35mm lens in my suitcase or by a

point and shoot. When traveling on business most of the photo's are travel or street

photography and sometimes just photographs of friends that I have made.

Any lense bigger than the 35mm and the camera adds to much weight to my carryon.

What would you do 10d with 35mm or point and shoot

thanks--Ed

i'd carry a small old cheap rangefinder with a fast and good lens, like a yashica electro with f/1.7 or minolta hi-matic 7 with f/1.8 or canonet with f/1.7 or konica s2/s3 or...or...

in addition, you also wouldn't be concerned about being careful with it. No big deal if stolen, lost or damaged.

When I wanted a smaller camera than my SLR, I bought a Nikon 35Ti. It's a point and shoot. Compact. Has manual overrides. Wonderful little camera.

<p>

Only one major problem. It whetted my appetite for a real rangefinder. Even easier manual control. Still smaller than my SLR. So I bought a Leica M6. It's a fantastic travel camera and can fit in a fanny pack with room to spare for 4 or 5 rolls of extra film.

<p>

--<br>

Eric<br>

<a href="http://canid.com/">http://canid.com/</a><br>

Try an Olympus XA. It is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. It is a true rangefinder with aperture priority. The lens is a 35mm 2.8 that is tack sharp. I've had mine for years and it takes wonderful pictures. You can find them in mint condition on ebay for under 100.00. And it runs on just a single AA battery that you can find anywhere.

I recommend the contax t3, it is a small P&S about a bit smaller and fatter than a pack of cards, with aperature priority and a fast 2.8 lens. It takes beautiful vibrant and contrasty color and black and white images.

Otherwise, any of the rangerfinder type models sound appropriate for you.

I would take my 10D if it made sence, but it obviously doesn't always make sence. Since you shoot digital I would suggest a digicam to keep your workflow intact. Here are two suggestions:

Canon G3/G5 - Great camera and takes same batteries and memory as 10D. Big issue is that it's not really small and if I would take this I'd just as well take the 10D (I have the G3, but gave to my wife).

Sony T-1 - tiny tiny and still 5mp. I have read great things about this. (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony-t1.shtml). Negetive is Memory stick duo :(

"Your Olympus XA runs on a single AA battery?"

The XA Flash runs on a single AA battery. The XA itself uses a pair of silver-oxide buttons, which last for years. I think I'm now on my third set in 15 years. With its 3-position zone focusing and very quiet shutter, the XA makes a great point and shoot if you don't mind the slow flash cycling time and the 35 mm. focal length.

Another alternative that works well if you want a little more versatility and don't mind the bulk is a cheap old SLR, preferably a bit beat-up, with a mid-range zoom. For travel and the like, I have a Konica T3 with dents from being dropped, with a Sigma 35-70 zoom. It works well, but it isn't really worth anything. Add the Konica prime lens, a flash, and a 2x extender, and it becomes a cheap but versatile kit.

Ed, I have to assist Daniel�s comment. With a Contax P&S like T3 (or even the old T2, you can get it at eBay for a good price -- I love mine!) you would be on the safer side.

Or maybe a rangefinder from Contax: G1 or G2. Which has the bonus of interchangeable lenses. When I go out, I almost always take my G2 with a 35 mm lens (Planar, f 2.0) with me, and I�m always and still fascinated by the colour rendition and sharpness of the Zeiss glass.

I just about always have a camera with me. I prefer a manual-focus SLR, but when bulk is a problem I carry a small autofocus P&S, such as an Olympus Stylus Epic- not the zoom, the one with the 2.8 lens. It has the advantage of being weather-resistant, and sells for just under $130 new. Used ones are available on eBay all the time.

I've also been known to carry a Pentax Auto 110 or a Canon 110 ED or a Minolta Pocket Pak 40, but then I'm obstinate and eccentric.

Whatever it is you decide on, you want a nice sharp lens hanging on the front of it. That, and your brain, is the important picture-taking apparatus.

For film shooting the Contax T3 is hard to beat. Its lens is outstanding, size is small and its seven custom function settings allow you a lot of personalized functionality. I'm constantly amazed at the image quality this little bugger produces.

For digital, I'd stick with a small P&S with a wide angle lens. The only ones that fit that category right now are the new Canon S60 -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331593&is=REG

- with its 28-100mm lens (f/2.8 at the wide end but slow f/5 at the long end) and the Ricoh Caplio Rx and Gx. The Ricohs have fast shutter response but maybe not the image quality of the Canon. Oh, and you can't buy Ricohs in N. America. :(