ST-E2 Speedlite to trigger studio flash lights?

margaret_corbett

My 300D does not work with the 430EZ Speedlite that I used to use for

triggering studio flash lights for film photography. It needs an EX

Speedlite.

I now have a ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter, but cannot work out how to

set it up to trigger studio flash lights.

Is this possible?

Any help most welcome

Somebody back me up, but I think the 430 EZ will work in manual mode on the Dreb,

no?

The ST-E2 emits an IR signal that won't trigger optical studio strobes. It will only

trigger the 550EX, 580EX and 420EX speedlights.

If I'm correct above, your 430 EZ should trigger the optical slaves. In fact, since it

has no ETTL pre-flash it will be better for that purpose than any EX-series flash.

-b

From the "Incompatibilities" list at the <a href="http://eosdoc.com/manuals/flash/430ez/#section7">EOS Documentation Project, Speedlite 430EZ:</a><i><br>"E-TTL-only Digital SLR bodies - flash fires only when set to Manual or Multi mode. Flash does not fire in TTL or A-TTL modes."</i><p>In its Manual mode (the flash's Manual mode, not the 300D's), the 430EZ should work for triggering studio slave strobes.<p>I have no idea about the ST-E2.

I did try to trigger basic studio lights (3-light setup) with a 550ex set as slave from my

camera mounted ST-E2, and to my disappointments there are apparent underexposure

despite the flash that fires from all 3 lights (one set as master others as slave).

I shot in e-TTL mode, and points the 550ex to my subject--as a fill light. I'll perhaps try

another setup and see how it works.

Triggering slaved studio lights from an -EX series flash will NOT work, just as you've described, because the EX fires an ETTL pre-flash which sets off the stobes before the shutter opens. The EZ flash in manual mode should work though, since it doesn't fire a preflash.

Just going out and getting any random cheapo older hotshoe flash should work as well.

And fwiw to further qualify, the preflash happens with a slaved -EX flash as well. All EX flashes in the system, masters and slaves, will fire a preflash so the system can meter just before the real exposure. Your studio slaves are triggering off the preflash of the 550 slave, thus underexposing since they go off before the real exposure.

Hi, I have a 20D, ST-E2, 550EX and an old monobloc studio flash. I had the same problem and here is how I solved it. Someone on the internet suggested covering the 4 contacts on the camera hotshoe, mounting the ST-E2 then running the flash on Man. & slave (positioned on light stand). This in turn fires my monobloc, and I meter everything with my L358. Seems to work great.

I use strips of red electrical tape (red so I remember that it is there) that are about 1" long and drape the tape down to the viewfinder so that the tape stays in position as I slide the ST-E2 in to place.

if you have the FEL hack, do as follows:

1. Studio flashes included in measurement:

push the button for FEL, the preflash sets off all flashes, the camera measures the light, wait for the studio flashes to recharge, take the picture.

2. Studio flashes not included in measurement( i.e. if you fire them at full power behind a foto table):

Turn off the studio flashes, push the button for FEL, the preflash sets off all any E-TTL flashes, the camera measures the light, turn on the studio flashes and wait for the them to charge, take the picture.

Wein makes a slave that should be compatible with E-TTL, but i haven't tried it yet.