male grizzly bear; the story is here: <a

href="http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/200182

6694_bear31.html" >Seattle Times story</a>

It's hard not to feel conflicted about this kind of event. We all like

to promote conservation and respect for the wildlife we

photograph, but in the end, they're still wild animals. Our love for

them doesn't change a 30-million-year history of behavior. The

fact that a bear "knows" you won't make their territorial instinct

disappear. Let's be careful out there...

I don't see the conflict. Some people die climbing mountains, some diving the oceans, some racing cars, or venturing into space. Where's the conflict? Will you flatten Everest or K2 just because some people died for their love of climbing?<br>

The man lived and died doing what he loved, knowing the risks and the rewards. I hope and pray the narrow minded and biggotted won't consider taking away anyone's freedom to make choices about their own mortality, and to live dangerously if they so choose.<br>

The bear is like the mountain, like the depths, like a speeding car, or a rocketing space shuttle. It is what it is. You learn the risk and make a choice. There is no conflict or blame.<br>

<br>

Guy

I don't have any problem with people accepting risks, that's their

choice. I do it too--to a much smaller extent--with scuba diving,

which I wouldn't give up for anything. I think I feel some conflict

because in the process of studying a species and making

images, this kind of attack can feed the general population's

fears about wild animals. Many times, that leads to slaughter of

the very animals we're trying to protect. These Russian bears are

way outside of civilization, so that probably won't happen in this

case, but still... For that reason, I don't think it's quite the same

as risking death by mountain climbing, racing etc. With those,

the only ass on the line is the person doing it.

"For that reason, I don't think it's quite the same as risking death by mountain climbing, racing etc. With those, the only ass on the line is the person doing it."

Exactly. This is what should be remembered. I have no problems with someone risking their life for their passion. But when this kind of thing happens with wildlife, the animal's welfare is also put in jeapordy.

Perhaps there's another way to think about it. What about all the people that are killed or injured each year by "tame" animals like horses. I don't see any particular rush to restrict access to them. How is Death by Wildlife dealt with in Africa? I will forever remember the account of a photographer who didn't like the arrangement of lion cubs next to their mother and proceeded to rearrange them. They invited her to dinner. Much as we might feel that some of these folks got what they had coming, agencies and insurance companies will feel differently.

I know he was an expert at what he did and I am sure he understood the risks to himself, but I wanted to share a pic I took a couple of months ago in the Smokies. The parents were aware that the kids were doing this and that there was a bear there. I think the rangers, if they had seen this, should have called social services.<div>006wXO-15947584.jpg.4f983e6963050d9fa3a582f970105f24.jpg</div>

In the wild, even the relative wild of areas near human habitation, there comes a point when it is no longer about rules and it is all about personal responsibility. We must also recognize the situations where our behavior risks not just ourselves, but also the animals (as Gloria pointed out), and even other people. Though I don't want my own freedom restricted, I recognize the necessity for some rules in some locations.

As for the parents letting their kids play near bears, well that's a pretty serious failure of responsibility to others, but whatever.

We were up on the meadows above Spray Falls (Spray Park, Seattle Park, and above) last Summer, taking a gorp break when I felt the need to stand up. Immediately told my hiking companion to stand up, look big, make a bit of noise since there was a bear not more than 50 fifty feet away. Not a grizzly, but we were in it's territory, not the other way around. It bounded off and we went on. Rather wonderful to see wildlife in it's natural setting. Even better to not interfere or be interfered with!

How is it sad? It's as Guy said, he knew the risks. How was it preventable? Is the

message here "Don't go into bear country!" or is it "Let's kill or capture all the bears!"?

All I know about bears is that they are best viewed from a LONG way off. I respect

them enormously, and have no desire to 'research' them without some serious optics

and a lot of yardage between.

I feel empathy for his family, but it's not like he was hiking and a bear flew out of the

shrubbery and got him. He was seeking out wild, dangerous animals that are

unpredictable, territorial, and about a hundred times stronger than he.

To love wild animals, one must respect the fact that they won't love you back. You

are an intruder, and a weak, flabby one at that (I don't care WHO you are, you're still

weak and flabby when compared to a Grizzly).

I'm with Andrew here. If you walk or take photographs in the woods, you run risks.

You could fall, get bitten by ticks carrying potentially lethal diseases, be struck by

lightning, or in highly unlikely but not impossible circumstances, get killed by a

grizzly or mountain lion. If you swim or surf off of California, you could drown or

(again, extremely unlikely but it does happen) get chomped by a white shark. One

can certainly mitigate these risks by taking simple and sensible precautions but some

level of risk will always be there.

But I'm curious regarding Nathan's assertions -- why is being killed and eaten more

sad or horrible than falling off a cliff and pulping yourself on the rocks below? You're

just as dead either way -- and if the bear (or cougar, or, shark, or vultures, or

maggots) munch your corpse, they receive nutritional benefits. A better way, IMHO,

to commune with nature than to be pickled and stuffed into a coffin.