Removing residue/cleaning filter - please help!!!

patrick_f

Hello! I have a little bit of an annoying problem here and I was

hoping someone could help me out with it. Recently I purchased a

Hoya multi-coated #25A red filter. On the first outing with the

filter, it received a bit of fine mist water spray (fresh water)

leaving what looked like a blemish in the finish. When I tried to

clean it off with normal lens paper and a lens pen, nothing

happened. The blemish did not disappear, so I (against the filter

reccomendation) used lens cleaning fluid. While this removed the

water mark, it left a horrible residue, which after about 20 minutes

of polishing with lens paper, etc, will NOT come off! At best it

moves it around or makes it worse! Does anyone know how to get rid

of the residue/blemish??? IT is driving me CRAZY! I have never

experienced this with any filters before (usually use tiffen) and I

have no idea how to get rid of it/polish the filter to being totally

clear again! please help!

The best way to remove this persistent film is with a micro-fiber lens cleaning cloth. Use it dry, or by fogging the filter with your breath.

If something doesn't come off easily, do something else. The scrubbing you describe is likely to cause scratching, or even damage the coating, which is relatively soft.

You may have discovered that lens tissue doesn't work very well. It doesn't leave lint, but it's not absorbant enough. PEC pads work better, but not as well as the cloth.

I second Edwards advice about using micro-fibre cloths. I would not suggest using ordinary cotton cloths if you can avoid it. The micro-fibre cloth is much better at picking up the stuff instead of just smearing it out on the lens. Also, the micro-fibre cloths used for optical purposes are very soft, reducing the risk of scratching, and washes easily. Buy one at your camera store or optician. But remember to keep it clean and shake it a few times if it has been in your bag for a while, you want to get rid of the dust and particles, not grind it into the lens.

Exhaling onto the filter will give you a little moisture and might help getting things off, but I primarily do this to see where the smears and dirt specks are.

Depending on the size of the filter (>58mm?), you may have a removable retaining clip that holds the glass filter in the ring. It's easy to remove the clip and pop the glass filter out of the ring. Then wash the glass with dishwasher liquid and hot water, rinse thoroughly with hot water then dry with a micro-fiber cloth. Then place the glass back in the ring and put back the retaining clip.