Digital Rebel in Walmart stores?

joeb

Well, Walmart's business model is to use their vast bulk-purchasing power to drive down prices. They can do that with, say, pickle farmers. Where're you going to buy or sell pickles when Walmart's the only grocery store in town?

But if Walmart said to Canon USA, drop the price of the 300D to $500 or we won't stock it, they'd hear the laughter all the way back to Canon HQ in Tokyo!

What does everybody have against Walmart? I love finding $7 shirts that actually look good

on me. And they sell cheap little frames that I can use for my cheap little photos --

otherwise my snapshots would just be puttied to my walls. Here's a response to all those

who cite the "30% of businesses go under when a Walmart moves in" figure: Most

communities with a Walmart use it as their anchor store in big retail developments. I live in

Cleveland Heights, and Walmart is the anchor, surrounded by a Borders, Home Depot,

Bally's, Regal Cinema... It is wonderful to have one place to go for all your needs. Sure, the

clientelle aren't as well-groomed or clean as say, people who shop at Target, but how

much can we ask for, really?

Puppy Face, were you serious when you said Walmart posed a great threat than Osama?? I

honestly thought you were being facetious, but it soon became clear you honestly believe

that..... Why??

American consumers have the ultimate power: don't buy from them. After all, it's their customers that keep them in business.

B&H is no answer, either. Or Ritz. I chose to buy my camera from an independent, family-owned retailer. They made a commitment to stay price-comptitive with the internet, and I give them all my business. This place has stayed on main street in their town, is as well-stocked as anybody, and managed by knowledgable people....beats the megabusinesses.

You're all buying something manufactured by a mega-monster-manufacturer that isn't even made in America, a company who is more than willing to give a megastore like a Walmart a break for buying in quantity. So what does that make you?

And now you are insulting people who are probably below the poverty level, who are saving money where the opportunity has presented itself, instead of going somewhere else that is just as guilty of being corporate... (IE K Mart, Target, Sears, Etc.)

Like it or not Walmart exists, and it serves its purpose. Buy your stuff at the corner, but leave the people alone who can't afford to do without the savings, and who are probably totally intimidated to walk into the corner camera store with the know-it-all idiots standing behind the counter. I shop where I want, when I want, and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Here a friend totally hates Walmart; but loves the giant Office and giant hardware/lumber/lawn stores. When Office Depot and Max arrived; most all of the mom & pop office stores went under. The local hardware store closed when Home depot arrived. When I bring up the analogy of Walmart causing small store to implode; and the Office Box stores doing the same thing; My friend says "it is different". The difference is that the Office box stores are cheaper; more convenient; and he vists them twice a week. Walmart; he will not set foot in; and he wastes tonnes of gas to save a dime; driving to the next town,<BR><BR>Our store stopped selling inkjet cartridges several years ago. Folks close by would buy one or two per year; then buy the rest at Walmart or the Office Box stores. We were taking back "dud" cartridges; that we did not even sell to them. Folks just want to dump on a small store their duds; and buy the cartridges for a buck less at the big stores; 10 miles away. This is the American way; you want the convenience of a small local store close by; and the pricing of the giant chain store.