Following up with brides after you meet them...

o._wagner

I have recently met with 8 brides regarding their 2008 weddings. All seemed

very interested to meet with me and were all referrals. The meetings went well

(or so I thought) and I am still waiting back to hear from them. A few were

very recent so I'm not yet concerned with them, but the others have been 2-3

weeks when most of them said they'd let me know within a week or two. Do you

follow-up with your brides/grooms that you meet with? It would be great to hear

anything back, even if they decided to go with someone else. I did email the

first one who I met with because it had been 3 1/2 weeks. She has not emailed

me back yet. I am assuming she went with someone else. I am wondering if this

is pretty common not to hear back.

It is certainly common not to hear back from folks - often it takes longer to make a decision or people get too busy to contact people if they do make a decision. I usually tell people that I courtesy hold a day for about a week after meeting people (so they can make a decision) and then I will start interviewing for that day again. If I don't hear back from them by then, I assume they are still looking or have decided elsewhere and keep meeting with other people for that date.

If it is someone I really felt I connected with, I might follow up a few days after the meeting and mention that it was great to meet with them and I hope to hear from them soon either way and I can answer any other questions.

If you have not heard back after several weeks, just let it go. Don't worry too much, hopefully you will have other opportunities come up.

FWIW, I usually follow up with an email just to thank them for meeting with me. This can be a gentle reminder to follow up on their end. I also tell them that I will put them on the calendar as "interested" for two weeks, but the date is not booked until a contract and deposit are received. If their wedding is a busy time of year, I let them know that as well.

I feel your pain too though. I've had a few of those recently and sometimes they just forget or are "too busy". I called one girl as a courtesy because it had been a few weeks since our meeting and I hadn't heard anything. Someone else called about the date and she said she would have the contract in the mail the next day. She just got busy with work and put it off. Sometimes those little reminders can be helpful.

Sam

O, I must chime in here and give my take on things. I am not sure about the entire situation, so I will only generalize. Getting referrals are pretty easy if the bride was happy with the final products that were produced. However, once the photographer meets with a new client, he/she must uncover the new Bride's needs and desires. They must establish rapport immediately. From here on out, their personality takes over and a connection between the Bride and Photographer must be established.

The Photographer must listen to what the Bride is saying, if not, they may either over-sell or under-sell. Both are disastrous. The presentation has to match the recommendation/referral. If you have a Studio, it is easy. Your gallery will sell itself.

If you are working out of your home and meet either at your house or a neutral location, then your wedding albums and portable portraits you bring must convey your vision. Closing the sell is hard for most. Learn closing techniques and always get a deposit before the Bride leave. I know this is pie in the sky, but it works for me. I close 8 out of 10 Brides that enter my studio.

George- wow, sounds like you have great success! Well, I am not a complete stranger to weddings, I shot 10 this year and of those which were actually booked last year, only one booked right on the spot. I have raised my prices for next year so I am in a more competitive price range now (no longer "budget"). I have booked 3 so far with my new pricing. Things were looking pretty good when I got so many meetings, but now, I'm not sure. I understand trying to connect, but it's challenging when they just want to get down to business and ask questions. I always try to have casual conversation first and ask them about their wedding plans, engagement story, etc. I am not a pushy person, so I can't see myself trying to close on the spot. Most people seem to be checking out a few photographers and want to get back to me.

Mr Joell is in the Wedding Portrait Business.

There is one sentence in his post with which I disagree:

>>> I know this is pie in the sky, but it works for me.<<<

No, Mr Joell, it is definitely NOT pie in the sky and that is WHY it works for you.

If not already doing so, then I suggest as an addition to your procedure; ensure your Wedding Diary (A4 day to a page) is always at hand, and the Booked and Deposited Engagements (Weddings and All Other Assignments) are clearly and neatly INKED in.

It should be one of the first articles addressed to ensure the date is available, and if not, to have alternative dates marked for your availability.

If there is not a close at the initial sales meeting, then we offer, as a curtesy to the client, to pencil in the date for the required time and to, if possible, keep that date open for seven business days and promise to attempt to contact the Bride, by telephone, should we be asked about that time by other prospective client.

But we are quite clear that we will not hold any date (or be responsible for failing to advise any date has been taken) without the non refundable securing fee being first paid.

That is just business and it is a fair to all: and fair that it is spelled out clearly and politely.

In answer to the posted question, we post letters on the evenings of every sales meeting: the letter has three purposes: it thanks the participants for their time and interest, confirms the meeting and summarises the outcomes of the meeting.

WW

I'm sorry, but I must disagree with George. This is America (well for most of you)- people in general do not like to be pressured into a sale. Especially an important one. Closing the deal before they leave is a bad idea. The goal should be to leave such an outstanding impression that they come back when they're ready.

Just my opinion

I book most of my brides on the spot. Probably around 10% ask to take some of my materials home with them to help them make the decision later. My unofficial policy on the subject is I'll hold the date for a couple of weeks unless someone calls about it during that time. If someone else is interested in a date I'll make a courtesy call and give the first bride the chance to book the date or pass on it. I've only done this a couple of times. If it starts becoming more commonplace I might put a more official policy in place, but for now I really don't need it.

Rachel,

Who said anything about pressuring someone? An adage of sales, and this business is as much about sales as it is about talent, is that a deal cannot be closed until it is ready. That can happen at the first meeting, or not at all. People feel pressured when someone inexperienced in sales tries to "close the deal" prematurely. People give off very specific buying signs and body language that can help you determine if they are ready to sign a contract.

My goal is always be to leave with a contract, anytime a prospective customer walks away without a commitment you put the opportunity to work with them at risk, they see someone else the next day, they decide their Aunt can take pictures for free and that will free up more money for the honeymoon, etc... That is not to say that you should attempt to badger a prospect that is truly counterproductive.

Good selling has nothing to do with pressuring...

>>> I'm sorry, but I must disagree with George. This is America (well for most of you)- people in general do not like to be pressured into a sale. <<< (Rachel Barker)

I have re read Mr Joell`s post twice and can see no reference to pressure, or pressure selling.

He devotes two and one half paragraphs to uncovering and addressing the client`s individual needs and notes that closing is the most difficult for many colleagues in our business.

If one produces services and or goods for sale, one is in sales, by definition: that is one of the businesses we are all in.

Whilst we all have different methods of closing our sales, it is non sequitur to imply that `closing` means `pressure selling`: closing is simply a part of the selling process.

Many professional photographers (and dentists and carpenters and plumbers etc) work their whole lives in their own business and fail to realize that they indeed are in the sales profession; and moreover never take the time to learn and understand the component parts that make up the offer, negotiation and acceptance of a sale.

On another point, the fact that most of the commentators on this forum reside in the USA is of little importance in this regard: in my experience some of the most professional and renown sales people are indeed American and, American clients are little different from those in other countries; basically they all desire honesty, integrity, and good value for money.

The professional photographer of any culture has the ability to deliver that product and service; and a professional salesperson has the ability to close, according to those criteria, no matter what country the contract is located.

Others have different methods of closing, viz:

`Closing the deal before they leave is a bad idea. The goal should be to leave such an outstanding impression that they come back when they're ready`

But it is incorrect to imply or state that having a time line to close the negotiation by the end of the initial sales meeting is `pressure selling`: Pressure selling is an entirely different animal, and, IMO has no place in any Professional Salesperson`s cache.

WW

This may be off the original thread's idea but it seems to me, after reading these posts for a few months, that half the photographers don't realize this is a business. They think, "People like my pictures, so I am going to go into business." They know nothing about setting up a business (LLC, corporation, etc.), taxes, selling and marketing, the hours involved, etc. No offense to those who my jjust be starting out.

Firstly, I never follow up with any brides any more.

I meet and then at the end of the meeting, I inform them they have 5 days to let me know or the day will be open to others. By this, I don't have to wonder if I was booked and they don't have any reason to think they can still have the day if they wait. As a side, I don't even worry about it. They want you, they book you, period.

Focus your energy on making each time a better presentation of what you do. Be honest and open to questions of all kinds.

All the best for the next one...

Everyone has there own style. We call after a week or 2. We do not email. Seems cold to me to email. I feel it's a better way for brides to feel more comfortable and you care about the wedding. We simply ask if they have any questions. Usually they may have a few. Notice we did not push for a sale, just asked if they have any questions.

>>> We call after a week or 2. <<< (BB)

At what time of day? / At the home, or at the work, or at the mobile (cell) phone? Is that planned out?

>>> We do not email. Seems cold to me to email. <<< (BB)

Interesting comment, we agree 100%.

Also emails are more likely `glossed over`: for two very good reasons, according to the marketing people I have spoken with.

WW

William, good question about what time of day to call. Usually evenings and/or weekends, because most likely they are home and we call whatever number the client gave us. I only ask for 1 number during the interview, but when they sign the contract I ask for whatever numbers they have listed. This is in the contract; brides number, cell, same with the groom.

We NEVER call them at work. The answer is always "Can I call you back later. I can't talk now!"

Another issue is since we shoot a lot of weddings if another client calls for the same day, we will of course call the first couple and explain the situation, that another couple is interested in that same date. We tell them since they came to visit first we will ask if they wish for us to hold that date. So far every couple has said yes during the 20 years of doing this. Is this pushing the client into a sale? Perhaps, but we try to be fair to everyone and this situation happens all of the time during the months of June, July, and August. For the second couple we refer them to another excellent photographer and that photographer may or may not give us a few bucks for the referral. This way everyone wins. We of course do not demand a referral fee, but it is commonly considered respect as we are friends with a lot of photographers. In fact the circle of photographers we deal with get together about once a month or so for lunch or dinner.