optical wishlist

wim_van_velzen

Reading several threads about different camera's I was thinking:

everybody is comparing camera's and systems, often by the lenses that

are on offer. Because X doesn't offer zoom Y you 'd better have

camerY than camerX.

What is the kind of optic you'd like to exist for your specific

camera? For example: I have a Bronica EC and think they should have

made a 60 3,5; for a pentax 645n I would want to have a 45-135 zoom.

Mind: the kind of optic should be realistic. So no 300 2.8 for your

Lubitel TLR :-)

A set of lenses with large image circles, compatible with both the regular Hasselblad bodies and the Flex Body would be cool!

A set of lenses 2 f-stops brighter than the current line of Hassie would also be cool!

(I shudder thinking about the price tag Carl Zeiss would put onto these)...

• 3 weeks later...

Since I recently just take a big advance to Hasselblad w/ 4 lenses.(My 35mm is Canon EOS, I like my EF85mm 1.2L but was jealous because I found out Carl Zeiss made a 85mm 1.2 for Contax and beats the Canon Quality substantially).

Here are my wish lists:

Hasselblad 150mm f/1.4 or greater.

Hasselblad 180mm f/2 or greater.

If merging the Canon USM & IS technology into Zeiss Optic, then nobody can beat.

=)

• 2 years later...

Good question. Sometimes there are ways around the problems however. I find that most of the gaps in my Mamiya 645 system can be plugged by the Kiev-60/Pentacon-6/Zeiss Jena lenses and a $25 adapter. Eg. Mamiya's 300mm lens offerings are f5.6 (too slow) and f2.8 (too expensive). I got the Zeiss Jena MC Sonnar 300mm f4 for �195 - very affordable, sharp, and with its f4 stop, it fills the missing option from Mamiya's lineup.

Similarly, the Kiev MC 30mm f3.5 fisheye is far more affordable than Mamiya's 24mm f4 ($200 versus $2000, I just checked!) - even when you include the $250 cost of adding another camera body (a properly reworked Kiev-60, eg. Arax-60 MLU) to take full advantage of the 180 degrees field of view on 6x6cm!

Anyway, apart from these existing options...my wishlist would be:

(1) Kiev/P6 fit 400mm f4 APO

(2) Kiev/P6 fit field flatteners & larger focusers for current Chinese fast achromatic telescopes - 500mm f5, 600mm f5, 750mm f5, 990mm f6.6 - and the new Chinese APO ED600mm f7.5 telescope...would turn them into superfast, affordable, long telephotos with good field correction.