Zuiko/EOS and Nikon/OM lens adapters

r._j.

This has been discussed elsewhere from time to time, but does anyone

know where I can buy these adapters?

Do they work on digital bodies or are they strictly for film cameras

and lenses only? What functions are lost when using them? Lens

magnification factors?

Any good web pages you can point me to?

Hi RJ. For info on the Zuiko/EOS adapter, please see this <a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005v7q"><b>thread</b></a> - it includes info on who to buy it from (refer to one of Gene Wilburn's comments). Hope this helps!

I read on p.38 of a publication titled Saishin renzu adaputaa kouryaku

gaido that a company called Elefoto makes and/or markets an adapter

to mate Nikon lenses with OM bodies. This contains one or more glass

elements and has a recommended price of 12,000 yen. Oh, here you go:

http://elefoto.hp.infoseek.co.jp/MOUNT/slr.html (in Japanese) says it's

11,000 yen. You buy it by phoning them, at +81-478-80-3107. If they're

typical of oddball Japanese companies (or bigger ones for that matter),

they will only speak Japanese, they won't accept credit cards, and they

will be very leery of sending anything outside Japan. On the other hand,

they may for all I know be completely atypical. Good luck!

cameraquest.com doesn't seem to offer anything for mating Nikon lenses

with Olympus OM bodies. The magazine/book I mentioned earlier also

has the address of Elefoto -- it's Habakari 1799-1, Tonosho-machi,

Kandara-gun, Chiba-ken, Japan 289-0617. (Japanese people are typically

a lot more willing to attempt to read an unexpected letter in English

than to understand an unexpected phone call in English.) Elefoto also

sells various other wild and wonderful goodies, e.g. the Cosina 12mm

lens adapted for (new) Contax.

I have the Elefoto adapter (Pentax screw mount to OM bodies). It has

a glass element, focuses to infinity and acts like an approximately

1.2 telexender. That is, a 50/2 lens becomes a 60/2.4. The other

Elefoto adapters may be similar. Performance? The center is great,

virtually no loss at all, but there is so much curvature of field I

have to stop down to f/11 just to get barely useable corners and

edges.

Kenny C.: "I have read the description (no photo yet) from Stephen Gandy's web site regarding the OM-EOS adapter. It seems not the same adapter made by Kindai which is used only in stop down mode for light metering and focusing."

I emailed Stephen some while back and asked if it was the Kindai adapter and he replied affirmative.

Gene,<br> Thanks for clarify.<br> Here is the quote from Stephen Gandy's web site " mounts Olympus OM lenses very conveniently on the EOS via the adapter because of OM lens external stop down switch, allowing you to focus wide open and then quickly stop down to shooting aperture for metering and taking the shot. The EOS digital bodies are by far the best digital options for your manual focus Olympus OM lenses." <br>When I used the Kindai's OM-EOS adapter, the aperture is always what is set on the lens (if I set the aperture on the lens to f8 then the lens is stop dwon to f8). I have no chance (no need)to use the OM extenal stop down switch, aka DOF switch, when I use the Kindai OM-EOS adapter. Try it yourself then you will konw. <br>If fact, if OM-EOS adapter is designed to keep the lens wide open regardless what aperture is set on the lens but stop only when the OM lens's DOF tab is pressed then I think it will be more useful than the current Kindai OM-EOS adapter to offer.

Kenny, Kindai's adapter also can be used in 'wide-open' mode - but then, you must hold in the depth-of-field preview button (which is on every OM lens) as you take the photo. You would also need to do this when taking an exposure reading if you were using manual mode. I can only imagine that the same procedure would be needed with Gandy's adapter - I'm sure that they would be functionally identical. I hope this helps!

Neil,<br>It looks that we have different Kindai's OM-EOS adapters or I may have missed something. As you said "Kindai's adapter also can be used in 'wide-open' mode " but I don't find a way to do so. As I said earlier, if I set the aperture on lens at f8 then the lens always stop-down to f8. There is no other way I can put the lens wide-open, say f1.4 of the Zuiko 50mm/1.4 lens, unless I manually set the lens aperture to f1.4. Does your Kindai's OM-EOS adapter does thing differently than mine. How do you put the lens wide-open?

There should be a small 'hook' (which drags the lever on the lens arount so as to close the iris) on the adapter. This is held in position by a small screw. You can undo this screw, and either remove the hook altogether, or (better) turn it around and screw it back on (so as not to lose it) - it will then not affect the lever on the lens, and the iris will remain open whichever aperture is set. At least, this is what mine can do.

Neil,<br>Great! I found the little black screw and removed it from the Kindai OM-EOS adapter. Now I can preset the aperture and focus wide-open and use the DOF button for metering and stop-down the aperture while press the shutter to make the photo. I realy like this "wide-open" mode than the "stop-down" mode. Thanks.

Well, it looks like cameraquest.com is the place to go. But can anyone comment on your results with the "OMEOS" adapter?

I would especially like to know if picture quality suffers in any way and whether there is a magnification factor. (Unless I missed something, no-one - including the cameraquest website - mention whether there is any focal length change with these adapters.)

And although I am not hugely familair with EOS bodies - film or digital - it seems the camera known as the 1Ds is the best option, as it is a "full frame sensor", thus no magnification factor, regardless of which brand of lens you fit to the camera. Any comments?

I have four EOS adapters for M42, Leica-R, and OM lenses. Only this OM-EOS has the best fit and easy of use. I can use it in "wide-open" mode as mentioned above which is similar to using the Zuiko 35 shift lens. What you lost will be the best manual focusing screen of the OM stanadrd split/micro prism screen. I found no equivalent focusing screen in Canon cameras which depends on the EOS camera you choose. What you gain is the built-in motor drive, adavanced metering, vertical grip and many other functions provided by your EOS camera. Kindai also has new OM-EOS adapter come out in grey(?) color and the list price is drop also.

I have EOS 620, 630, RT, and A2 (EOS5) to use with the OM-EOS adapter. You may loose the focusing point indicator of the EOS camera if it has multiple focusing point selection, for example my EOS A2 and all later EOS cameras, and try to use different focusing screen like split/micro prism screens which don't have focusing point indicator support. If you want to use both EOS and Zuiko lenses and keep the multiple focusing point selection then just stick the standard EOS screen provided which is designed for auto focus lenses but not really bad for manual focusing lenses. Nothing beats EOS lenses (focal lens greater than 50mm) for speed for hand holding shots. I usually use short focal Zuiko lenses (50mm or less) on (hand holing) one of the EOS620/630/RT bodies which has only central AF focusing point with split/micro focusing screen which works well for the AF EOS lenses if I want.

Other reasons to use the OM-EOS is that you can use real manual lenses on the EOS body. OM Zuiko lenses usually cost less than EOS lens and sometimes there is simply no equivalent EOS lenses like the Zuiko 135/4.5 macro with the 65-116 auto extension tube, 35/2.8 shift, and these small Zuiko 21/3.5, 18/3.5, and 16/3.5 lenses. Also there are more accessories that you can buy used or new like the Canon ring flash, eyecup, diopter correction lenses etc.

I just bought the Wein voltage regulator for external flashes, so now I hope to be able to use all my Olympus flashes on the 10D. I have the T8- and T10-ring flashes, the T28-twin flash, and the more conventional T32. OK, I can't get the superb Olympus metering happening, but with digital it is easy to review your results and reshoot. The really great thing is that I *should* be able to link up multiple flashes via cords and connectors, and still have them all running through the voltage regulator. I'm quietly optimistic...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
No chance Tim, unless the adapter had glass elements, which would give an approximate 1.2x tele-converter effect and lower the optical quality to some extent. With Nikon, you are better off just sticking to Nikon lenses I think.

• 4 weeks later...