lens as primes but I'm losing auto focus and spot metering. That

wouldn't be a real bargain for me since the 35mm macro is only 200

USD and the adapter is 100USD. Besides, resolutions of the old

zuikos will never be as good as the new Zuiko digital lens specially

designed for the E system. So the question is, have anyone had any

experience of this particular lens and how does it perform when used

as a normal lens (not macro)? Would it be better or worse than the

kit lens in terms of contrast and sharpness? How is the build of the

lens? is it cheesy or strong to the touch?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Alan

I am aware of the 2 times crop factor in the E-system. The 35mm macro will be closer to the "stardard" than the 8mm fish eye and the 50mm macro. I wish they would introduce a 25mm f1.4 lens, but I haven't heard any news of one coming out soon. I am still deciding on the 35mm macro or 24mm f2.8 old zuiko lens with adapter.

Is it because of the working distance or the barrel distortion of a wider lens that makes it not as perferable to use a short focal length lens for macro?

By the way, according to the specs from Olympusamerica.com, the closest distance the 35mm macro can focus on is 5.7 inches. I picked up my kit lens and set it to 35mm macro and try to see what the frame will look like at that distance, and it's no where near 1:1 magnification. Is the distance measured by object to front of the lens, or object to the sensors? If it's the latter, then the lens is REALLY close to the object and will probably shade any ambient light that might be avaible.

Thanks for all the responses.

Vivek, are you sure this lens cannot focus to infinity? If so I would rather buy the adapter and use the OM zuiko lens instead. I have read that this lens can be used as a regular lens, i've also seen pictures taken by it and it seems like they were at infinity but I can't be sure.

Not really answer but an opinion,Alan.This is listed one of Olympus's lower tier optics,meaning adequate but not great expectations are in order. Wide angle shooters have a lot of good things to say about the 11-22 lens,though,which you apparently ruled out because of significant cost. I would not consider the 35mm macro personally but I do find the 50mm macro (effective 100mm), to be a wonderful optic if you can afford it. That does not help much,sorry. The 14-54 now is not very wide, but sort of wide enough, and fast,2.8 (well, fast by my fuddy duddy standards of non cabaret shooting.) It is also a fine all purpose lens and-get this NOW-focuses darn close too. And really close with the adapter accessory.<p> If you are commited to primes, then Olympus is not giving you much choice,are they, cuz they been concentrating on the zoom bigger sellers. Check the dpreview related forum if you get a chance and search there, my suggestion. (A recent lens release,not a hot item). Lots of zoom shooters have tossed off devotion to primes based on optical achievements by the company in the zooms. Strictly personal opinion and highly biased. A good lens on an E300 will kick butt.

And of course,this lens focuses to infinity. Look up the specs. Buy one and I doubt you will be regretful. Just not wideanglishful.

Thanks for all the advices. I will be getting the 35mm macro fairly soon. I've looked at the 50mm macro, 14-54, 11-22. They are all great lenses but are out of my budget. Hope to see Olympus come up with a fast 25mm lens in the near future.

VIVEK, I missed your post while typing up the last response. I do not own any of the Olympus half-frame cameras, but I think the E-300 itself is very similar to the PEN-FT. Olympus has always been an innovative camera maker, that's why I have chosen Olympus instead of the popular Canon and Nikon.

If Olympus should come up with a fast, such as 1.4 25mm for those accustomed to the 50 mm view of the world, I will send a case of pineapples. Seriously, it is not on the roadmap. But someday I imagine they will even make a Tilt and Shift,but not for a few years... The 35mm has six elements,enough to do the job. (That comes to only 40 dollars per element, a deal :-).) It has eliminated a few things the first cabin lenses have and I recall is a China made product, and eliminates the focus scale and the O rings (no big deal,should serve well). I wish you good luck with your lens when it gets to you. And enjoyment in the E system,long may it prosper. And say, for gosh sakes,Alan, come back,reopen this thread and give us your personal report,sir. You really got me curious.

Sure, Gerry. I just went to the shop today and took at look at the lens. I wasn't able to take any test shot with my camera but the guy in the store let me looked through it with the E-500. This is the only and first macro lens I have tried, and the autofocus wasn't as bad as I have heard from a few people. Maybe I just haven't used any superfast focus lens yet:) . The build feels quite nice although not as good as the metal OM lens.

I would probably get the lens by the end of this month, I will post again and let you all know how I feel about this lens.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using one for about a week and my opinions are:

1. very small and light. The front lens el. is so far back in the lens barrel it acts like a shade. Tiny, tiny glass.

2. AF is ok.

3. seems very sharp. Better than 14-45.

4. short tele is a wonderful focal length.

All in all, at the price it sells for? A steal.

Jon Wang

I have bought the lens for two weeks now and only get to take it out for shots in one evening. This lens is way sharper than the 14-45 kit lens and it is now permanently mounted on my E-300. I haven't even touched the kit lens since the purchase of the 35 macro lens. I really like this lens and do not regret one bit for making the purchase. One thing I now wish for is weather sealing for my E-300 and lens.

• 2 weeks later...

I also bought this 35mm ZD lens in december last year. Actually i preferred the 50mm but that one is much too expensive for me. And now I am very pleased with my 35mm and it is either the macro or the 40-150 mm lens which is connected to my E300.

If you want to see the macro/close-ups i made with the lens, check my portfolio. Practically all the flowers are made with it and also the B&W

portrait (Colin).