ZS3 or C-Lux 3?

<p>I'm in the market for a hi end P&S. I currently own a 5D + 24-105mm, am 60 years old and sometimes just don't want to lug around the DSLR. My choices have really boiled down to Panasonic; their ZS3 (TZ7 not yet released but the predecessor to the very popular TZ5). My only issue with either the Leica or Panny is the 25-125mm lens. The ZS3 will pan from 24-300mm.<br>

I see on eBay that a C-Lux 3 can be had for about $450, $50 more than the asking price will be for the new Panny ZS3. My question: Is the Leica worth the money even at $450 over it's Panasonic brother?</p>

You are even more confused about product names than I am. As far as I can tell:

Leica C-Lux-3 = Panasonic FX37. New cameras, no reviews yet, who knows?

ZS3 = TZ7, successor to the TZ5. The ZS3 was just reviewed by dcresource.com.

I think the ZS3 is just the US name for the TZ7, which is limited to 15 minute video because of European tax laws. Neither is the same as the FX37, which is 25-125(crop equivalent) not 25-300.

Leica gives better software and a longer warranty, but Panasonic is the most reliable camera brand

according to Consumer Reports.

<p>Amazon had the ZS3 listed through 17th Street Photo for 1 day and it sold out. Oh well.. so much for the ZS3 (USA - TZ7 elsewhere) being available in the US......and God only knows when the FX37 replacement, the FX48 (USA-- FX40 elsewhere) will be available. <br>

It appears the only difference between the ZS3 an FX48 is the focal length; ZS3 - 25-280mm and 25-125mm respectively. So between those two it only matters what focual length at the long end is important to you. But I've always been under the imprression the more compressed a focal length the better the quality of image. Don't know if that will be true here or not.</p>

<p>Bill... Sorry but i had to laugh at your response re; no clue. FWIW, I'll probably go with the ZS3. Everything I've read about it's predecessor (TZ5) is excellent and one can only expect the new model to only be better. I will wait however to see what the FX48 (25-125mm) to look like. <br>

It appears the only difference between the ZS3 an FX48 is the focal length; ZS3 - 25-280mm and 25-125mm respectively. So between those two it only matters what focual length at the long end is important to you. But I've always been under the impression the more compressed a focal length the better the quality of image. Don't know if that will be true here or not.</p>

<p>Charles,<br />The zs3 is available for pre-order from panasonic direct currently...available late April from them. According to them, they'll be selling them prior to other retailers as they get their stock from them. Not sure if that is true or not, but anyway...</p>

<p>I am/was in the market for the same camera as you. something to supplement my DSLR. I was interested in the DMC-ZS3 or the DMC-FX580. The FX580 seems to have more manual control than the ZS3, with shutter and aperture priority modes coupled with a touch screen. I do not believe the ZS3 has this (referring to the manual controls). My only requirement was clean pictures, and HD video...as well as fitting in the pant/short pockets nicely. The zs3 is about 1.2" thick which is a little bigger than i wanted to go. But as a result of the bulkiness you'll get a stereo mic with wind clipping, AVCHD Lite video, and 12x zoom. The FX580 being about 0.89" thick you get a 5x zoom, 720p HD video using h.264 codec, and some manual controls (excluding manual focusing). The nice thing about the FX580 is that if you do not like the touch screen you do not have to use it, except to set aperture and shutter values. the FX580 also has subject focal tracking. Looking at the live view just touch the subject you want to keep your focus on and the AF sensor will lock onto the subject (like a jet targetting a mig) and keep the focus.</p>

<p>The FX580 is more of a competitor for the Leica CLUX3, and since you mentioned the CLUX3 the FX580 may be worth checking out. Other cameras i checked out during my research: Canon SX200, Canon SD970, Panasonic LS1 (tough cam), Samsungs HD capable ultra compact, Leica D-LUX-4, Panasonic LX3. Here are some notes i took when comparing:</p>

<p>the LX3 and DLUX4 - are definitely nice full manual SLR like cameras, but they are a bit bigger about 1.5" thick, and have a lens cap. A lens cap to me is unbecoming of a P&S...i see them as UPS cameras: Uncap & Point & shoot...ugh. DSLR is one thing, but not on a P&S.</p>

<p>Canon SX200 - Initial reviews say this camera is decent, but the lens is sub-par for its class</p>

<p>Canon SD970 - Again sub-par lens starting out at 28mm, versus 25mm for all its competitors</p>

<p>Panasonic LS1 - The tough camera. Seems really cool initially, but. number 1 - no protective lens cover. Number two "Have your authorized Panasonic Service shop replace the waterproof gasket yearly" Uh...ok sure whatever...</p>

<p>Samsung - well i don't have any juice for this camera...just not a fan of samsungs (no offense). A first impression i read said it was decent though.<br />______________________________<br />Go to panasonic.net and peruse each of their new camera's features, believe it or not, the data is way more accurate than panasonic.com's store. For example, the specs on panasonic.com does not mention HD video for the FX580, go to the panasonic.net and it does - in fact makes it a selling point (as well as other vendors). Panasonic.net has the most data, demos, and information i have seen yet...</p>

<p>Currently it is a toss up for me: the FX580 on one hand, and a new Olympus 14-45mm lens on the other....i am current not satisfied with the kit lens for my DSLR. Good thing a buddy of mine is letting me test with his lens before i get real serious about buying it...</p>

<p>Hope this helps you...i researched for like 2 weeks straight...it is hard finding a camera with everything you want, always have to consider with what you can live without. the FX580 has everything i want except the stereo mic would of been nice.</p>

<p>Goodluck.</p>

<p>Just wanted to throw in a quick edit - I missed your last post. the FX48 is extremely similar to the FX580, in fact i think they are the same camera sans two things: touch screen and shutter/aperture priority modes (i think).</p>

Brian, thanks for your buying notes – very interesting. Just a correction: the Canon SD970 starts at 37 (crop equivalent), which I wouldn't even consider buying, so maybe you are thinking of the SD870 or SD880. Perhaps Canon improved the lens when they extended the long end from 105 to 112, but I can definitely say that the lens on my SD800 (same as SD870) is subpar at wide angle, and so slow at telephoto (f/5.8) that it blurs a lot of shots due to slow shutter speed. The Panasonic ZS3 lens is faster at 300mm than the SD880 is at 112.

<p>Bill,</p>

<p>You are right...i was speaking about the 970. My mind was telling me it started in th 30ish mm somewhere, but then again i was like there is no way i must be mistaken - who'd buy it? my bad there...i was going off memory. So many cameras, in such few days...</p>

<p>Also if HD vids are your cup of tea...do not be so quick to jump on the AVCHD Lite format just yet. The output of that format creates a MTS file. Currently you need special SW on a MAC or PC to view them. Which begs the question - what will i have to convert the files into for use with video projects and will that conversion be lossy? It's a good thing the zs3 offers up 720p via h.264 as well. I always consider these things before it buy something.</p>

<p>Oh and the DLUX4 also has HD video, the LX3 does not and i believe this is because the DLUX4 was released a bit later than the LX3...but maybe also trying to sway you to pay the extra loot for it?!?! If you do get the DLUX4, from what i hear, buy all your accessoories for the LX3 as the are about half price as well (including batteries).</p>

<p>Brian....</p>

<p>I looked at the Panny FX580 and you're correct; it's a very nice looking camera. Problem though it won't be available, per B&H's website, until June. I was hoping to have something in May for my VN military reunion. </p>

<p>I guess we'll just have to wait until they are in the stores and lay hands on to see. The question I have is how much will you miss from 125mm to 280mm (ZS3)? 125mm seems ok to me as a pocket travel P&S but 280mm seems more fun. Another nice camera to come from Panasonic soon (?) is the FX37's replacement, the FX48; another 25-125mm lens. Then again the max telephoto on it is 125mm.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hey Charles - So you prefer to buy the camera from B&H? I saw their June release as well. I like B&H too, but only for its protection plan they offer. That's definitely a plus. I also need to have my camera before May 8th for a wedding.</p>

<p>Panasonic.com says the fx580 will be available to purchase via them direct in late april. I signed up for pre-order - so i'll let you know when they call for my order.</p>

<p>This could be nothing, but i always felt that cameras with a very big zoom capability were often slow to zoom and AF was also a bit slower at the telephoto end (probably from the reduction in light due to decreased aperture). The additional zoom is intriguing, but with barely much review - i am not sure if i want to take the chance. Besides - the more you are zoomed in, the more subject to camera shake you are and i wont be using my P&S on a tripod. As for me it negates the idea of a P&S. But different strokes for different folks...</p>

<p>Brian</p>

<p>I thought the same thing about the long zooms and slow to focusing but the predecessor tot he ZS3, the TZ5, which has a long room factor got rave reviews and was P&S of the year for '08. Now I can afford to wait until the release of the ZS3, FX48 or the FX580 to see what all the reviews have to say. I'm gearing more towards the longer zoom just because.......</p>

<p>Chuck</p>

<p>Panasonic Lumix cameras seem to be getting better and better every year. I have the first TZ1. My wife took beautiful photos with it two weeks ago in the Galapagos. The 380mm or so zoom feature was quite useful for wildlife. The new TZ7 is expected to be an improvement over the award winning TZ5. The new one goes from 25 to 400mm. If it were me, I'd wait until the TZ7 is available. If I had an immediate need, such as a trip, I'd probably buy the TZ5. The range of the lens is quite useful for a carry-around, pocket camera. </p>

<p>Panasonic Lumix cameras seem to be getting better and better every year. I have the first TZ1. My wife took beautiful photos with it two weeks ago in the Galapagos. The 380mm or so zoom feature was quite useful for wildlife. The new TZ7 is expected to be an improvement over the award winning TZ5. The new one goes from 25 to 400mm. If it were me, I'd wait until the TZ7 is available. If I had an immediate need, such as a trip, I'd probably buy the TZ5. The range of the lens is quite useful for a carry-around, pocket camera. </p>

Point taken, Larry. However the zoom numbers are 35-350 (crop equivalent) for the TZ1, 28-280 for the TZ3, TZ4 and TZ5, and 25-300 for the new TZ7 / ZS3. It is most interesting that you and your wife are able to get good shots at the long end. Aside from lack of RAW mode, this camera seems better than the Panasonic LX3 that everybody is gushing about.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Ordered ZS3 from Crutchfield (Virginia) about noon on Tuesday and UPS reports this morning, Thursday, that it's here in town (Wisconsin) and out for local delivery. That's roughly 48 hours from phone call to camera in hand. Using Crutchfield's free shipping.<br>

Now .... where can I get a battery in a hurry?</p>