Zorki 5 and cold weather

<p>The snow finally let up for a while here in Meeechigan today, so I thought I would take out a few cameras for a little excercise. The RB and Zorki 1 worked great, but the Zorki 5 had serious issues with the shutter. It was acting like it was on bulb setting. The aperture ring also was so stiff I couldn't turn it, but I think I can handle that okay. I do need help however figuring out how to make the shutter work properly in the cold. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>I am surprised that Zorki 1 worked. They actually should be kept way from the cold, if my memories are correct in the instruction booklet they specifically emphasized that. The shutter curtains are maid of rubberized cloth and they always stuck in the temperature below zero (Centigrade). Alternatively you should keep the camera under your coat, or use Kiev instead. I heard that Olympus OM1 has similar issue with curtains.</p>

<p>hi craig,<br>

the advantage to this cold weather feature is that it's possible to pick up perfectly normal cameras at east european outdoor markets in winter time for even deeper discounts by pointing out that the shutter doesn't work. let it thaw and they (usually) spring back into action :). but to be fair, even the the diaphragm on my sonnar 150 was having a rough time last night in the -5c weather at mariinsky park, in kiev.<br>

rj</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've told this before in a previous topic: I had the same problem with my Leica IIIc in December, just a few degrees below freezing. I had the camera around my neck for most of the day. The shutter sounded slow and some of the photos had what looked like uneven exposures. Some parts of the negative had more light then others. It worked fine at temps above freezing.<br>

The graphite grease option is something I've heard before. Oil is definitely more susceptible to freezing then grease.</p>