Zorki-4: Suitable lens...

Hello,

Ive just sent my modern af 35mm equipment in for repairs and have been left

with my dads old Zorki with the Jupiter-8 50mm f/2 lens. I've used it over the

past couple of days and have realised that it doesnt really suit me as such as

it is at the moment. I would like to be able to get much much closer than

1meter, which is what im limited to on the current lens. I find 1:4 quite

useful. Closer would be good but if not anything near 1:4 would be great.

I find composition a bit hard at the moment, as there doesnt seem to be a very

well defined viewfinder. So preferably a wider, close focusing lens (so the

finder would be different also). The Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 lens is what would be

ideal really, but it wouldnt fit a rangefinder... right?

But otherwise its a pleasing contrast to my autofocus system and will most

definately be used in the future again if i can 'fix' it to my needs. Im not

looking to spend a lot of money obviously as im heavily invested in my

autofocus system, but i would still like something of some decent quality. I

have searched for Zorki lenses but have found little, and no specific details

(like minimum focusing distances).

Any information or input would be appreciated

Thank you,

Rich

Here my old Nikkor 5cm F2 in LTM scale focuses to 18 inches. Long ago folks shot flowers, books via a wire frame that afixed to the camera. For those who want a canned store bought solution, an slr is way better. Nikon made a close up stand for the nikon rangefinder; one used the 5cm f2 to shoot books with microfilm or panatomic-x. Many folks today dont have the knowledge or patience to use older obsolete tools of a pst era. With scale focus and the 5cm f2 Nikkor; the focus is spot on when one measures to the film plane on a Zorki, Leica, Bessa r series or Epson Rd-1. The bigger issue is framing. With Epson one has instand feedback. On a copy stand one usually set up the rig before loading film, and marked the books location with a grease pencil. With the Kodak Ektra rangefinder; the 50mm f1.9 is dual range too. Its scale focuses to 18 inches too. There is also a ground glass swing out affair gizmo wher on can focus on a ground glass with the lens; then swing the body in place for the shot. In the 1950's an Exakta VX was the game in town; often rigged up with an enlarging lens to shoot macro. The 1930's technique for shooting closeups with rangefinders and folders was a wire frame made out or a coathanger; that defined the focus plane and field of view. With a simple zorki 4 and jupiter-8 one can unscrew the lens one turn and make it focus closer than 1 meter. This is another ancient trick of the trade that gets poo pooed.

Yes i supose it does seem like th RF isnt xactly wot im after. which is why i use an SLR system. But this is quite fun and handy to have as a back up iv found.

Thanks for the tip there Kelly. Got me thinking... Could one just use some extension tubes when you want to get a bit closer???... like closer than you can get with just unscrewing the lens slightly...?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150117368464&rd=1&rd=1

If this doesnt work out at all though, i might just try and find a very compact SLR that is manual, using M42 lenses, so they could also be mounted on the minolta i have (thats in repair). But I would much prefer the RF alternative.

Thanks for the input, its been very useful.

Rich