Zooms above 400mm?

erb_duchenne

I see there aren't any zooms in the EF range which goes beyond 400mm.

Is there a fundamental problem with optics which limit this? Or is it

a price barrier?

Also, the EOS range of 'cheaper' optics runs roughly from 28mm to

300mm. Any idea why Canon does not make cheaper alternatives for

400mm, 500mm and 600mm? Do we HAVE TO turn to third party mirror

lensmakers like Tamron and Sigma for these focal lengths?

Look at the Sigma 300-800mm zoom. It's a monster and the price is certainly also nomore in the range of 'cheaper' lenses. At the long end, those zooms get heavy, big and expensive. In addition, zooms are always a compromise for quality. Ok, there are top-quality optical zoom construction (e.g. the 70-200 zooms), but the market for lenses that cost thousands of dollars and go beyond 400mm is probably not that big that it becomes worth it for Canon to construct them. If it would sell enough, Canon would probably produce it sooner or later.

At the short end, the EF 20-35/3.5-4.5 is quite reasonably priced and the 24-85 also goes down to 24mm.

Canon used to make the 10 pound, 20 inch long by 6 inch in diameter

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdzooms/150600.htm">FD 150-600 f5.6L</a>.<p>Nikon, not to be outdone, still makes the 35 pound (or so) 30 plus inch long <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/12001700mm.htm">1200-1700mm f/5.6~8.0s P ED IF</a>...along with slightly smaller brethren.

"Look at the Sigma 300-800mm zoom. It's a monster and the price is certainly also nomore in the range of 'cheaper' lenses."

The Sigma 300-800mm certainly is quite a lens. But it IS cheap, compared to Canon's selection of similar focal lengths. Looks at the EF 600mm f/4L, or perhaps 400mm f/2.8L with 1.4x and 2x. Now, for these focal lengths, these are pricey!

I believe Sigma also has a 135-300mm f/2.8. With a 2x it's a 270-600mm! Now that's really good range. Zoom range! This lens is also said to be tack sharp by reviewers.