Zooming, back in time. A project.

Sandy Vongries

I have had a project in mind for some time, to examine the performance of film era Nikon Zoom lenses on recent digital cameras. I have the good fortune to have a 43-86, 80-200, and 50-300, three of the four early Nikon zooms (the 200-600 was out of my reach financially). Because the 43-86 was so reviled in earliest form (though I enjoyed it), I recently obtained a minty late version at a bargain price, so now, based on serial numbers, I have a Pre AI, probably '71, and AI '80 or '81 toward the end of production. I was thinking of three threads, one on each Range zoom lens. I have walked around with both 43-86 and the 80-200, they are easy to use and show the focus indicator and meter on Aperture. I haven't used the 50-300 for a few years. Without the deadly boredom of shooting targets, is there method that could make this an interesting subject, or is it one to pursue simply for my own satisfaction. Any suggestions considered and appreciated! Edited by Sandy Vongries

FWIW, I did a line-up test of "normal" zooms(mostly f/2.8 zooms, but included a hack AI converted 43-86) with bottles and cans on a deck railing.

It's a "boring" target in a sense, but use a selection of them and at least you get a variety of color and can also evaluate bokeh. Distortion is visible by looking at what should be straight lines. The only thing it didn't easily let me see was light fall-off.

Someone on here clued me in on the fact that condensation on them can make a good way to spot CA.

If you shoot a target, I would balance it by shooting landscape or something that one would normally shoot.

The reason for this is, distortion that is visible in a lens target may not be visible in "normal" shooting.

I own the 43-86 pre-AI and AI. I used the pre-AI one for MANY years, for both B&W and slides, and I never had an issue with the IQ. It was "good enough" for me.

My only issue was stupidly trying to use it to shoot basketball in the gym. WRONG lens. f/3.5 was way toooo slow. The more appropriate lens was the 50/1.4.

I learned from that mistake and many years later, I used a 35/1.8 on my D7200 to shoot gym sports. Even today, in dim light, fast glass wins.

Are you shooting FX or DX? I only have a DX camera.

Edited by Gary Naka
  • Like 1

If you shoot a target, I would balance it by shooting landscape or something that one would normally shoot.

The reason for this is, distortion that is visible in a lens target may not be visible in "normal" shooting.

I own the 43-86 pre-AI and AI. I used the pre-AI one for MANY years, for both B&W and slides, and I never had an issue with the IQ. It was "good enough" for me.

My only issue was stupidly trying to use it to shoot basketball in the gym. WRONG lens. f/3.5 was way toooo slow. The more appropriate lens was the 50/1.4.

I learned from that mistake and many years later, I used a 35/1.8 on my D7200 to shoot gym sports. Even today, in dim light, fast glass wins.

Are you shooting FX or DX? I only have a DX camera.

Many thanks for your input, appreciated! Both, one a D7200 as well as compatible (with adapter) GXR. Can't tell you how many good photos I got with the pre AI in film days. Was quite satisfied as well. Though I have the natural residual greed for fast lenses, I wonder how critical it is across the board with digital iso capabilities. Informal tests of the late model 43-86 (received today) were very favorable. The small size and weight compared to current Nikon lenses make it attractive for walk around on one camera.

25-50mm f4 Ai

The one I wanted back in the day - but couldn't afford. As I recall the lens was highly regarded back then (the first from Nikon (or at all) that moved deep into wide-angle territory) - I have no idea how it performs on digital. Believe there is one on sale her at PN right now (or at least was a couple of weeks ago).

The only zoom from those days that I still own is a Series E 75-150. I acquired a non-functioning 80-200/4 a while back, fixed it and took some shots with it - for a highly regarded lens from the film days, the results were disappointing on digital as I recall; I got rid of the lens quickly.

• Like 1

I guess testing film era lenses on a DX body removes all those horrid edges aswell as cormers!

I'd have thought a nice candidate would be the 25-50mm f4 Ai...:D

Maybe a bit of an exotic rarity?

Seems quite uncommon outside Japan?

Heaven knows,I already have enough old Nikon lenses - actually I wasn't clear in my previous statement I have DF and D750 as well at the other two mentioned. The photos I took yesterday with the new 43-86 on the DF are actually impressive - I can crop to the point that the license tag on one of my dogs is legible!

Edited by Sandy Vongries
  • Like 1