In the Spring, I will be going on a month long trip to Australia, New

Zealand, and SE Asia. I've already started to agonize over what

lenses to bring. I have always used primes, but the prospect of

lugging around all those lenses while I travel to multiple countries

is beginning to sound overwhelming. Should I start looking into one

or two zooms to bring instead? Can you recommend any? Will I

woefully regret leaving my primes at home (I couldn't possible travel

without my 50mm/1.4)? I'll most likely bring an N80. Should I give

up on the whole bulky SLR altogether and bring my Contax G2 outfit?

HELP!

The Contax G2 is an excellent travel camera, because of its small size and light weight. In my case, I often carry the camera on my shoulder and two or three extra lenses plus a tiny flash in a small waist pack for hours on end without any sense of burden. Contax does make a very fine 35-70mm zoom for the G2, if you really want to travel light. It is a bit slow, however.

As you may already know, the Zeiss lenses for the G are truly extraordinary. Paired up with Reala, they can produce image quality that is unsurpassed in 35mm format.

Prices for used G2 kits are quite reasonable, considering the quality. However, you should ask yourself whether it is wise to invest in a system whose lenses will probably never be utilized on a digital body. This would not be the case with Nikon zooms. But if you plan to stay with film for a considerable period of time, then the money for a G2 will be well spent.

My opinion, since you asked: Fewer lenses=more fun. Forget about "covering" all possibilities. Accept that you'll miss a few shots without the 12-600mm superzoom, or the heavy/bulky fast zooms, or even the 8 prime lenses. You're doing this trip for fun, not as a paid photographic assignment, right? Then take a reasonable kit and work with what you have. If it were me, I'd take one body and two lenses (a 35 and a 90) along with a Stylus Epic p/s for backup. For you, how about your N80 with a couple of primes: say your favored 50/1.4 and _one_ other lens (wide or short-tele, depending on your style)? The G2 also seems a reasonable choice, to me. But, that's just me, it's your trip!

BTW, have fun with the planning...agonize away! To me, spending months planning and anticipating only add to the pleasure of what sounds like a fantastic trip. Make piles of stuff you might want to bring...add and subtract stuff...put it all in a bag and walk around your house carrying it...practice pulling your camera out from its nest...figure out where all your stuff will fit...all the while imagining all the wonderful things you're going to see. It sounds great to me!

"Should I start looking into one or two zooms to bring instead? Can you recommend any?"<p>

If the primary purpose of the trip is photographic, then bring the big artillary. If the primary purpose of the trip is other forms of personal enjoyment, then settle for a N80 with 28-200 or less. World does not revolve around photography or lens choices.

I just returned from a west coast (USA) road trip and brought one camera and one lens: an F100 and 24-120 zoom (the new one with VR). I had no regrets. The purpose of the trip wasn't photography, but recreation, and the camera/lens combination was more than enough. On a photo trip, I usually carry more...

Hi Catherine,

I have 3 primes: 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, & 85mm f1.8; and 3 zooms: 18-35mm f3.5-4.5, 70-200mm f2.8 and 70-300mm f4-5.6. I'm also planning a trip and have decided to take 3 lenses for sure, those being the 24mm, 50mm and the 70-300mm. The 24mm and the 50mm are so compact that together they take up less space than a good normal zoom, such as a 35-700mm f2.8 or 28-70mm f.28. With the 50mm attached to the camera I could even manage the 85mm without taking up too much more space. I've yet to decide about the 18-35mm, although the 24mm should cover most instances where I would need a wider angle lens. The 70-200mm isn't coming because it's simply too big. That's why I have a consumer oriented 70-300mm. I'm willing to sacrifice sharpness and contrast, and willing to accept more distortion in order to take photos.

The big 70-200 f2.8 is heavy and cubersome. Chances are I may not end up using it on my vacation because of the inconvenience of lugging it around on my vacation. What's the point in bringing big lenses with great optics if they prove to be too big and cubersome, and you end up leaving them behind in the hotel or wherever you may be staying. Bring lenses with you that you know you will use. Also, bring a P&S or the Contax G2.

If this is a vacation for you then enjoy your vacation and don't become a slave to photography. IMHO keep your kit compact and simple. You'll end up using the equipment more than if you bring a big kit that's more trouble than its worth.

Hope this helps.

If your wallet and you back can stand it, 17-35/2.8 and 70-200/2.8.

For something that'll put less weight on your shoulders and leave more in your wallet, 18-35/3.5-4.5 and (used) 80-200/4.5-5.6.

Either way, have your 50/1.4 with you for low-light.

Catherine,

The G2 is really a great idea. I had a G1 for a while before I switched to Leica (and sometimes still wish I had a "G". I dare say 90% of what you shoot could be captured with a a 21/28, 35/45, and a 90 (my choice was a 21,35,90....with Leica it is 21,35,50).

For my professional shooting I use Nikons, and have a 80-200 AFS. Do NOT take a 80-200 2.8. Lugging that around all day is not a good time. I also have (and it is my most used lens) a 20-35 2.8 and it is BEAUTIFUL!

But....I really think that if you take three primes...24 F:2 or 2.8, your 50 1.4 and a 85 or 105 you'll be set for most of your shots. Include a 1.4 converter if you NEED something longer and you should be set.

Carry MUCH more film than you'll think you need and a good P&S in a belt pouch for back up (got a Nikon 35ti for sale...hint, hint).

Enjoy the trip...it should't be totaly a "photo assignment".

If you were considering a Contax G2 anyway, you might consider just the N80 you already have and 3 prime lenses. That's not going to be much bulkier or heavier than a similar G2 system (and the autofocus on an F/N80 is a heck of a lot more sophisticated than that on a G2 (so is the fill flash!). A wide angle, and normal (35 or 50) and a short telephoto are not going to be any bulkier or heavier than the zooms that are being suggested. In fact, they would probably be lighter and less bulky, and certainly lighter around your neck. That's what I would do.

I've been to Australia (and I'd go back in a heartbeat) and my sig other has been to SE Asia.

I took my Nikkor 28-105 and 70-300 and left everything else home. I was fine ... there were a few times I wished I had my 18-35 tho. I was in Sydney, Canberra and The Blue Mountains.

As far as SE Asia... my husband has been happiest with my 28-105 (he has a Tamron ... he borrows mine as often as possible!) and my 18-35.

I've loaned him my 70-300 on a couple of his SE Asia forays - but he doesn't use it much. The places he's been don't lend themselves to longer telephotos.

The big thing is weight - if you get tired of carrying your gear you won't get good photos. Which is why as much as I use my 80-200 2.8 at home... I don't go on vacation with it.

Oh and I have an N90s, so I lug a flash around too. My husband hates carrying anything extra so he has a N80. Which is fine for the pics he takes - mostly people. I take mostly landscape and anilals and plants..

He'd be thrilled with the 24-120 (?) VR lens - he'd never take it off his camera...

'shana

Catherine:

I go through the same thinking before a trip also. A year ago I went to Paris for the first time, looking forward to doing a lot of photography. I took an F100, N80, 20, 28, 35, 50 and 85 primes. I left the 28-105 at home because even though it is versatile it is big and bulky. The first day out I carried most of the lenses and the F100. That lasted one day. Luckily I had brought a second smaller bag and for the rest of the trip I usually had just the F100 and 35/2. Once or twice I carried the 20 also. Someimes at night I carried just the N80 with either the 35 or 50.

My point: All that gear got real heavy real fast. The 35/2 covered almost everything I needed, and I only felt like I missed other lenses a few times.

A week after returning from that trip I borrowed a Contax G2 for a week, after which I was so impressed I bought it along with the 28, 35, 45 and 90mm lenses. As much as I like the Nikon it now gets used mostly for nature photos and wedding/party photos where I want the flash system. The G2 is a great travel system. The weight may not be much less, but the difference in bulk is considerable, especially in the lenses. Since you have one you already know how good the lenses are. You may occasionally miss the 1.4 max aperture on the 50, but I find that the G2 works great in low light with either the 35 or 45. Try some Fuji NPH or NPZ.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

If this is not primarily a photo trip how about a AF 50/1.4D and AF 35~70/2.8D. You might add an AF 24/2.8D as it weighs little. I�d add a battery pack/grip so you can use easily found AA batteries. Two sets of lithium AA batteries weight the same one set of Alkalines.

Consider carrying the lenses in a waist pack for three as the weight is likely to be unnoticed compared to having it pulling on your neck. The waist pack eliminates the need for three hands when changing lenses.

If the trip is weighted more towards photography you might consider adding an AF 200/4.0D ED-IF Micro. This will give you some reach for both large and small subjects.

the first thing i would suggest is making your trip WAY longer. 1 month in 3 countries is crazy. 1 month in each of those countries is still pushing WAY too hard.......

that said, i am a master at traveling light. my bag usually weighs in at about 8.5 kg at the airport. last trip to SE ASia all i used was a n80 and a 28-200mm. no optically the greatest but it allowed me to shoot in most every situation, and was light.

i have upgraded for this trip (leaving in one week. staying 6-8 months) and plan to do a bit more photography and have choosen n80, n90, 35-70af 2.8, 135 mf,85mf and a 24mf. the mf are so small and light i decided to take 3. i know they will not meter on the n80, but they are small. so my bag will be a bit hevier due mostly to that 35-70 monster. i iwll post the airline weight. next week.

have fun!

eddie

Essentially there is only one person who can really answer this question, but somehow that person is asking it.

For the record, I went to Australia last year for 3 weeks. The primary objective for that trip was photography and I brought 4 cameras and 8 lenses. But I am sure that your mileage will vary.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe shes still there (or here). Australia's a great place to live.

I am a very fussy photographer and when i travel, i really love shooting the best pictures i can. But i dont want to spend the whole trip looking thru a view-finder and deciding what lens to put on, not to mention lugging around a backpack full of lenses ALL DAY. I bought a Nikon 24-120VR recently. It is a great combination, and i use it exclusively when travelling. Ok, its not going to give you the same edge in your pix as an 80-200f2.8 or other expensive pro lens, but you can bring it anywhere, it packs easily, wont draw attention to you and VR is amazing for low-light situations like the Vatican. Not to mention its wonderful performance optically.

Sydney, Oz