Zoom or primes?

ike k

Hi all,

I need some suggestion on lenses combo that I will be using on my Nikon F5. Do you guys prefer a

zoom combo which has 17-35 + 35-70 + 70-200 ? or prime combo that has 35/2 + 50/1.4 + 85/1.4?

thanks for info!.

Whether you use primes or zooms, get the fastest lenses you can for positive focus. All of the lenses I use for weddings are f2.8 or better. Even then, I use manual focus and preset the distance for processional shots or situations where I can't take the chance of a lens hunting for focus and the camera not firing.

I just purchased a Nikkor 70-200 VR F2.8 last week and used it on Saturday at my last wedding. What a marvelous piece of machinery! I have no doubt that the lens will be a workhorse for me.

I prefer zooms, but only because I've used them for so many years, and I like the flexibility it gives me. That said, I also recognize that if you are in a DARK church and can't shoot flash, your only practical option is FAST primes. So, don't get locked into one or the other, lenses are simply tools. You have to use the appropirate tool for the job.

It's like the old saying, "if all you have is a hammer, the world looks like a nail." You don't pound in a screw with a hammer.

For outdoors - all zooms - Couples always are amazed that they never saw me and because I'm not all over the place - zooming with my feet - I get some great candid shots. They are all 2.8 pro lenses.

Indoors I do use a prime because it is a faster lens. I do use zooms as well when I want to fill the frame without being on top of my subjects.

Manual primes are generally better made lenses than AF.

My suggestion would be : 28/2.8, 50/1.2, 85/1.4. Nikon lenses aren't nearly as expensive as my Leica glass... get the fastest Nikon lenses you can afford.

You will invariably need wider than 35mm lens for group shots, table shots, etc..

Look at it this way: Get your 80% lens, then add a true wide-angle and a portrait lens.

Paul

For us, it depends more on the style of photography we're shooting as far as which lense we use. I shoot predominantly photojournalism and prefer to work with a zoom; my partner shoots the formals predominantly and uses primes. I've tried using primes for PJ, but find myself getting very frustrated trying to use them.

Jen

There's absolutely no pat answer to this question. I shoot PJ, use primes with a 35/1.4 being

the most used & 85/1.2 second most used, zoom with my feet, and clients never know I'm

there. My partner shoots groups and portraits, is seen by clients far more frequently than I

and rarely uses anything other than a 24-105/4 and 70-200/2.8.