separate loupe, maybe getting a zoom - like the Mamiya 4x-12x which

would let me get rid of the current one I have. I haven't been able

to find one at any local shops to check out in person, so I was

wondering if anyone had any experience with this loupe. Other

recommedations welcome. Can zoom loupes be expected to be not as

good as primes (same generalities as with lenses)? Otherwise, I may

just go with the Schneider 10x.

Thanks.

Or; those things that they give you with the Canon Rebels--they call them 28-80 (or 28-90) lenses--can be thought of as a "zoom loupe". Just flip it upside down, with the small end facing the film, and you've got your loupe. 28mm end for detail, 80mm end for wider field of view.

I have the fortune of being young enough to see great detail in slides without optical aids, so I'm not especially experienced is specific products.

<i>>>> I have the fortune of being young enough to see great detail in slides without optical aids</i><br><br>

Hmmm... I don't know if youth is the determining factor in what you're seeing there.<br><br>

<i>>>> so I'm not especially experienced is specific products.</i>

<br><br>Not to be rude, but maybe you don't need to post then.<br><br>

<i>>>> Like a projector ;)</i>

<br><br>

As far as a projector goes, notice that I am asking with regards to viewing negs as well as slides. Would you suggest.....an enlarger?

<br><br>

Jim - I'll look at the Pentax loupes.<br>

<br>Thanks.

Try the Pentax before you buy. From what I've read, it has a lot of distortion.<p>Like you, I use the Mamiya 4x loupe to check composition. To check details, I use a Schneider 10x loupe. You won't see the entire frame, but what you do see will be magnified with a flat field. There is no chromatic aberration or distortion. It's a great way to check focus on the slides without projecting them. I tried some cheaper loupes (including the Mamiya 8x), only to be disappointed. I would have to say that rather than a zoom, you may wish to consider adding the Schneider 10x to your Mamiya 4X.<p> The Schneider is $160 at Adorama, $180 at B&H. Why the price discrepancy exits, I don't know!

<i>Try the Pentax before you buy. From what I've read, it has a lot of distortion.</I><P>Pentax is known for it's lenses & coatings. Not only are they superb optically they are also half or a quarter the price of comparable German glass.<P>The same can be said of their medium format loupes. There is no noticeable distortion with the 5X Pentax loupe I own plus it provides you with an extremely bright contrasty image. It is better then any loupe I've ever used. Factor in the price and it's close to perfect.<P>The 5.5x - 11x may be another story. I have not lived with it, only used it about half a dozen times (on a different light table and without the 5x beside me to compare the 5.5x - 11x against).<P>I was using the 5.5x - 11x loupe to examine areas for critical sharpness, something it showed effortlessly. I did not pay attention to the loupes edges so there may have been distortion there.